• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Vice. Gotta question. Why, in the past, did you spend so much time lambasting (good word, huh?) Avila - especially his lack of hitting - and then you spend a lot of time here arguing in his defense? Seems EXACTLY what a super homer would do. You spent many a post on SportsHoopla and elsewhere tearing Avila a new one....but as soon as a Tribe fan does....here comes SUPER HOMER to Avila's rescue.

Look out dougie...Vice is after your job. LOL
Avila and Veritek are/were bums.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gomes has a cannon....he will be one of the better hitting catchers in the league and one of the better defensive catchers as well. Hes not a star thats for sure- but hes around the top third of catchers out there.

If the Tigers could have McCann's defense with Gomes' offense, I'd be a very happy camper. I don't put a lot of stock into one bad, injury-marred year. In his two healthy years, Gomes had OPS's of .826 and .785. And he's still 27, in his hitting prime.

Last edited:

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh....I see.....it is one of those MY bum is better than YOUR bum type of deals. Got it.

I called Avila a bum... He is a bum.. just like Yan Gomes... The difference is Avila has had a better season than the one good one that Yan Gomes had... They are both bums... how much clearer can I be for you old man?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh....I see.....it is one of those MY bum is better than YOUR bum type of deals. Got it.
I don't think you understand the context of the conversation.... Yan Gomes silver slugger was brought up to some how make the claim that makes him less of a bum.... I just pointed out that Avila... who is a known bum... has a silver slugger award too... for a season that was much better than Yan Gomes silver slugger season... What part of this do you not understand? Seriously... Alzheimer's is really setting in for you isn't it?

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is good to know that someone has the back of our Tiger "bums"! Thanks Vice. I am afraid that after that defensive display by Steven Moya yesterday...you'll probably have to come to the defense of that bum. :)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is good to know that someone has the back of our Tiger "bums"! Thanks Vice. I am afraid that after that defensive display by Steven Moya yesterday...you'll probably have to come to the defense of that bum. :)
LOL iffy... I am not "coming to the defense of Avila". I am pointing out that Avila sucks and is a bum.. and has had a better season AND career than Yan Gomes... who is a fucking uber bum.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Steven Moya. One of the announcers compared him (batting) to Tony Clark. LOL. If only.....
More likely he'll be a Steve Bilko. Yeah....Iffy knows his Tiger history.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers could have McCann's defense with Gomes' offense, I'd be a very happy camper. I don't put a lot of stock into one bad, injury-marred year. In his two healthy years, Gomes had OPS's of .826 and .785. And he's still 27, in his hitting prime.

What gives you the impression that McCann is a better backstop?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've taken watery shits that had more cognitive abilities than you've got, son.
I am sure you have taken many watery shits... With all the cum that is rammed up there.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What gives you the impression that McCann is a better backstop?

Admittedly a smaller sample, but McCann had an errorless season in 2015 (114 games) and threw out 41% of base stealers. Considering that Tiger pitchers, outside of Verlander, were horrible at holding runners on base, that CS% is outstanding.

Gomes has been just a shade over league average in CS% the last two seasons (33% and 32%). He also made 14 errors in 2014. He made only 3 last year, but he also only played in 91 games.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello again, Mr. Viceroy. I would like to discuss your views on the Cleveland Indians and your selection of that team as the most likely winner of the AL Central.
You appear to define the offensive capabilities of the Tribe as awful. I believe you have stated they are likely the worst in the AL Central. Granted you have defended your selection of them as #1 due to their pitching staff. However.....I made a check of team offenses from 2015 back to 1994. No AL Central team has had the fewest runs scored and won the division (in 2003 the Twins placed 4th in runs scored and won - that was the closest). In fact very few times did the winner of the AL Central go below league average in runs scored.
Knowing this...do you want to rethink your choice?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly a smaller sample, but McCann had an errorless season in 2015 (114 games) and threw out 41% of base stealers. Considering that Tiger pitchers, outside of Verlander, were horrible at holding runners on base, that CS% is outstanding.

Gomes has been just a shade over league average in CS% the last two seasons (33% and 32%). He also made 14 errors in 2014. He made only 3 last year, but he also only played in 91 games.

Fair points, though I would caution putting too much into what you acknowledge is a small sample. Gomes threw out 41% in a relatively similar small sample in 2013.

I would add that MLB league average is 28%, so Gomes was more than "just a shade" better than average.

Gomes is considered a plus defensive catcher. It's possible that McCann is markedly better, but given the small sample on him, I'm not comfortable stating it.

We'll see.