• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Discussion 2016

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cabrera put in a full season, but I think 200 innings from Verlander or 140+ games from Victor are tall orders.

GM Al Avila said both Verlander and Cabrera are going through a "normal" spring training (conditioning & strengthening only, not rehabbing from an injury) for the first time in a couple years. He did not say the same for Victor, which concerns me.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
said team wins 95 games and the world series.. but their pythag win loss was only 90... who gives a shit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so by using pythag you get to understand who is playing better.. yet the royals were supposed to win less games and won it all.. i get it.. much better to use that than reality.

A strong case could be made that the Royals were not the best team in baseball in 2015. Regardless, they are the 2015 champions.

I take it you're one of those folks who believes "best" is always synonymous with "champion," and that the MLB playoff format is infallible in its ability to determine the best team in a given season.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then why use it? its completely stupid. it adds nothing what so ever... it may be the dumbest stat that was created.

"I don't understand how to use it, so it must be stupid!"

You're a funny kid, I'll give you that.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM Al Avila said both Verlander and Cabrera are going through a "normal" spring training (conditioning & strengthening only, not rehabbing from an injury) for the first time in a couple years. He did not say the same for Victor, which concerns me.
V Mart is going through a normal off season. They mentioned it in an article I read maybe a month ago. So is Sanchez.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it you're one of those folks who believes "best" is always synonymous with "champion," and that the MLB playoff format is infallible in its ability to determine the best team in a given season.

LOL at anyone believing that. The 2006 Cardinals were one of the worst teams to ever make the postseason (won their division at 83-79, and limped to the finish even at that). Yet, they denied my Tigers the World Championship, and the Series wasn't even close.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A strong case could be made that the Royals were not the best team in baseball in 2015. Regardless, they are the 2015 champions.

Yes... the champ is the best.. they earned the right to be called that. If best team was awarded to other teams the Tigers would have the title in 2011 and 2013.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I don't understand how to use it, so it must be stupid!"

You're a funny kid, I'll give you that.
lol.. so its a useful stat to see what a team should have won or lost? it didn't happen.. so its bs. teams win games they shouldn't all the time and lose them just the same... real wins and real losses are all that counts.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at anyone believing that. The 2006 Cardinals were one of the worst teams to ever make the postseason (won their division at 83-79, and limped to the finish even at that). Yet, they denied my Tigers the World Championship, and the Series wasn't even close.

Exactly, Howie.

I absolutely love the playoffs. They provide tons of drama, excitement and crown a champion. Sometimes the best team that season wins, often times they don't. There's a shitload of crapshootidity to the playoffs.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball minded folks with the inclination and capacity for abstract thought.
no.. not baseball minded people.. baseball minded people watch baseball and see those results as reality... stat nerds and sabermetric jerk offs maybe.. but pure baseball people don't give a fuck about pythag wins and losses.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... the champ is the best.. they earned the right to be called that. If best team was awarded to other teams the Tigers would have the title in 2011 and 2013.

Look, dumb fuck, no one is saying to award the championship to the best team based on stats.

That said, no, the Tigers weren't the best team in either year. In fact, they were really far from it in 2011.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no.. not baseball minded people.. baseball minded people watch baseball and see those results as reality... stat nerds and sabermetric jerk offs maybe.. but pure baseball people don't give a fuck about pythag wins and losses.

I understand you have the baseball minded part down. What you lack is the inclination and capacity for abstract thought that I mentioned.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, dumb fuck, no one is saying to award the championship to the best team based on stats.

That said, no, the Tigers weren't the best team in either year. In fact, they were really far from it in 2011.
look dumb fuck.. there is no practical use for pythag win loss records. It does nothing but give people something to talk about. Its completely meaningless... to anything.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look dumb fuck.. there is no practical use for pythag win loss records. It does nothing but give people something to talk about. Its completely meaningless... to anything.

Either you didn't read the post where I quoted the reason for looking at it, or you didn't understand it. Frankly, I don't care which.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, Howie.

I absolutely love the playoffs. They provide tons of drama, excitement and crown a champion. Sometimes the best team that season wins, often times they don't. There's a shitload of crapshootidity to the playoffs.

Much like hockey, baseball is all about GETTING to the postseason. Anyone who makes it has a realistic shot to win after that. In the regular season, you need to lean on your 3-4-5 starters more. In the playoffs, you can get by with a really good #1 & #2, and an okay #3. Then it's just about who gets hot with the sticks.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you have the baseball minded part down. What you lack is the inclination and capacity for abstract thought that I mentioned.
abstract thought? seriously.. tell me one reason why anyone should give a shit about pythag win loss records? One.. The A's won 68 games last year but pythag says they should have won 77.. lets pat them on the back.. lol.. get the fuck out of here with that shit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like hockey, baseball is all about GETTING to the postseason. Anyone who makes it has a realistic shot to win after that. In the regular season, you need to lean on your 3-4-5 starters more. In the playoffs, you can get by with a really good #1 & #2, and an okay #3. Then it's just about who gets hot with the sticks.

Yep. They take (usually) the ten best teams, and see who's the hottest in October.