• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 49ers vs Broncos

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing that kind of stood out to me, particularly given the way the OL has played recently, was Brock Osweiler making a couple nice throws off his back foot right before getting hit. I don't think I've ever seen Kap do that, at least not in the pocket. That skill is imperative to success in the NFL, and Kap just doesn't have it. He's got to be able to make plays under pressure this year, or we're hosed. I know people will blame the OL, and that's a legitimate issue, but Kap does not get the ball out quickly and does not excel under pressure. You can't have it both ways as a franchise QB. You have got to do one or the other, and ideally both.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that kind of stood out to me, particularly given the way the OL has played recently, was Brock Osweiler making a couple nice throws off his back foot right before getting hit. I don't think I've ever seen Kap do that, at least not in the pocket. That skill is imperative to success in the NFL, and Kap just doesn't have it. He's got to be able to make plays under pressure this year, or we're hosed. I know people will blame the OL, and that's a legitimate issue, but Kap does not get the ball out quickly and does not excel under pressure. You can't have it both ways as a franchise QB. You have got to do one or the other, and ideally both.
Kaepernick didn't have a pocket. By the time he got to the end of his 5-step drop, the defense was already there waiting for him. Our offensive line is terrible. That combination with a shaky QB is going to be real trouble. When your offensive output consist only of broken plays its a problem.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't agree that we looked very good against Denver. We did a nice job of keeping their first team out of the endzone, but they put up a lot of yards and converted third downs basically at will. With the way our offense is looking, that won't work....
That will happen when a good QB faces a team with no pass rush and shaky Corners.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

I feel that people are putting the entire blame on the offensive line (which certainly is a concern), but a very big chunk of the issue is with Kaepernick himself.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

I feel that people are putting the entire blame on the offensive line (which certainly is a concern), but a very big chunk of the issue is with Kaepernick himself.

Not the entire blame, but when Kapernick is getting pressured a league worst 55% of his dropbacks, it is a major issue. Kaepernick may have some issues but the line has got to help way more than it has been.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the entire blame, but when Kapernick is getting pressured a league worst 55% of his dropbacks, it is a major issue. Kaepernick may have some issues but the line has got to help way more than it has been.

That's a huge understatement in my opinion.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a huge understatement in my opinion.

I understand that. But the oline isn't doing him any favors up front. If Kap can't cut it, so be it, but the pass blocking must get better. I don't see any other QB successful playing that line right now

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. But the oline isn't doing him any favors up front. If Kap can't cut it, so be it, but the pass blocking must get better. I don't see any other QB successful playing that line right now

Nobody is saying that the O-line played well. But I don't like how they're being blamed as the only reason he played poorly. He's still making plenty of mistakes all by himself.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kaepernick didn't have a pocket. By the time he got to the end of his 5-step drop, the defense was already there waiting for him. Our offensive line is terrible. That combination with a shaky QB is going to be real trouble. When your offensive output consist only of broken plays its a problem.

I wasn't talking just about this game. I was speaking generally about Kap. I've never seen him throw off the back foot under pressure in the pocket. It looks like he'll need to figure that out if we're going to have success this year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying that the O-line played well. But I don't like how they're being blamed as the only reason he played poorly. He's still making plenty of mistakes all by himself.

When you say played poorly are you referring to this one preseason game, the entire preseason, the past couple of years?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The pressure in this last game was ridiculous. If the right side of the OL doesn't get its act together, it may not matter if Kap improves. But he needs to be able to play in the face of a pass rush. That's a skill that is essential to an NFL QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pressure in this last game was ridiculous. If the right side of the OL doesn't get its act together, it may not matter if Kap improves. But he needs to be able to play in the face of a pass rush. That's a skill that is essential to an NFL QB.

I agree. I do think he tends to get rattled. I thought last year when the oline pass protection went downhill Kap got rattled and it affected his performance.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched part of this game on NFL replay. And on the safety, Ware just ran right around Pears for the sack. Pears looked awful on that play. Gonna be a long season if they don't get it together.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the line is breaking down, Kaep should have plenty of practice throwing under pressure.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say played poorly are you referring to this one preseason game, the entire preseason, the past couple of years?

I was referring to this preseason game. But I'm obviously going to form my opinion of him based on what I've seen throughout the years.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to this preseason game. But I'm obviously going to form my opinion of him based on what I've seen throughout the years.

Kap has issues to work through in general. But having watching the part of the Denver game twice, you could probably have put Rodgers ofr Brady out there and the offense would have stunk it up. Maybe those guys throw a couple more completions but they would also have been hammered.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I watched part of this game on NFL replay. And on the safety, Ware just ran right around Pears for the sack. Pears looked awful on that play. Gonna be a long season if they don't get it together.

Ware went right around Pears, but Kap might have gotten away but for the fact that Antonio Smith tossed Silberman and was right there, too. That was one of the worst jobs of blocking by two players simultaneously that I've ever seen.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ware went right around Pears, but Kap might have gotten away but for the fact that Antonio Smith tossed Silberman and was right there, too. That was one of the worst jobs of blocking by two players simultaneously that I've ever seen.

We have been playing musical chairs this preseason at center and the right side of the line trying different combinations. That doesn't lend itself to stellar play.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap has issues to work through in general. But having watching the part of the Denver game twice, you could probably have put Rodgers ofr Brady out there and the offense would have stunk it up. Maybe those guys throw a couple more completions but they would also have been hammered.

I doubt that. I don't see those guys get rattled the way Kaep does.

You can disagree all you want, but my view is simply that both the line sucked and that Kaep sucked. I've seen plenty of excuses being made for Kaepernick and I'm getting tired of it. Yes, the line could have been better, but I expect a "franchise QB" to do better with what he has. The reason he isn't considered elite at this point in his career has nothing to do with his line or his weapons.

Sick posted a video on the NFL board that showed Kaep with decent protection and just flat-out not seeing a wide-open Vernon Davis that could have gone for a touchdown. That had nothing to do with his bad offensive line.