• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ERS MUST PAY UP

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worked up some realistic scenarios that all four could be extended and retained if desired, but I figured I would save it till the offseason. We are going to benefit from some young, cheap talent for the next 3-4 years, so keeping our core in place isn't all that difficult, although the amount of money we have in our LB's, especially after Aldon gets his deal, will be staggering. One thing we need to do in order to stay competitive for a long period of time will be too limit the amount of restructures we do, but if we use them wisely we won't really have an issue.

IMO, the best idea is to extend Kaep and Aldon. Aldon's contract would be very clause heavy. Crabs is the man and I want to keep him bad, but we need to draft a guy, see what he do, and if we can't get him extended in a contract year, we'll tag his ass for one year. Iupati is 4th on wish list...I say let him play out his contract and then negotiate after the we take care of the other 3.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure I'm seeing Crabtree already slowing down. He's probably a bit slower now than he was last year, but it's possible that the Achilles tear that he returned from in a remarkably short amount of time has a hand in that. Not to mention he's not a guy who relies on his speed to get open.

:agree:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think baalke will make a huge trade up like the falcons did and grab a WR? I would think not but it's not like we don't have 13 picks or whatever it is.

I just don't see it. And since we are most likely to be drafting late every year. I think Crabtree stays. Not saying we can't find late to second round WR talent that will be good. Just don't see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
hard to argue against these comparisons.

so if we give Crabtree this contract, what happens to Boldin? IMO we can't afford both, Boldin will leave. too bad but in the overall cap picture, can't help it.

Well Crabtree is still under contract next season, so the Niners have another year to address this. They could also tag him if he doesn't sign long term. So they have him for 1 year & maybe 2 if he doesn't sign long term.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anyone think baalke will make a huge trade up like the falcons did and grab a WR? I would think not but it's not like we don't have 13 picks or whatever it is.

I just don't see it. And since we are most likely to be drafting late every year. I think Crabtree stays. Not saying we can't find late to second round WR talent that will be good. Just don't see it happening.

I can't see us mortgaging a huge number of picks to move up inside the top-10, but I can see us moving our first and one of the seconds - or a bit more - to move up for a WR or CB. Considering all the major contract decisions we have coming up, though, we can't afford to be too casual with picks. We need to keep building cheap depth from within.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see us mortgaging a huge number of picks to move up inside the top-10, but I can see us moving our first and one of the seconds - or a bit more - to move up for a WR or CB. Considering all the major contract decisions we have coming up, though, we can't afford to be too casual with picks. We need to keep building cheap depth from within.

I totally agree with this sentiment. Our FO needs to have a plan of attack with real numbers and real talk with agents prior to this draft. Because we still have Aldon, Kap, Crabs, and Iupati under contract this season, we need to target which players are LEAST LIKELY to re-sign and draft for their replacements this offseason, in order to allow them at least a year to learn the position. It is difficult to play the "next man up" game when you are counting on a bunch of late round picks or journeyman has-beens to fill skill positions.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I totally agree with this sentiment. Our FO needs to have a plan of attack with real numbers and real talk with agents prior to this draft. Because we still have Aldon, Kap, Crabs, and Iupati under contract this season, we need to target which players are LEAST LIKELY to re-sign and draft for their replacements this offseason, in order to allow them at least a year to learn the position. It is difficult to play the "next man up" game when you are counting on a bunch of late round picks or journeyman has-beens to fill skill positions.

this seems to mean draft the replacements with high picks? are you talking about the 1st rounder, with the two 2nd rounders, 3rd rounders?

if so, this is drafting for Need and totally wrong.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes i wish a QB would just nut up and say 'you know what? pay me less so we can continue to win all the time'

Would you "sack up" for the company you worked for? I know you are most likely not making millions but would you be ok with getting paid less than you should knowing your company used you to make an enormous amount of money?

How about a lower contract than what the QB could get but higher guarantee than he could get on the market, with incentives that don't count for that year* and a clause regarding excess guarantee being removed if injury causes his career to end? * Someone here explained "likely to receive (e.g. snap count) and unlikely to receive (e.g. SB victory).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone notice how the game started going down hill once Mike Iupati left the game?

The Niners need to get that sum-bitch locked up to a long-term contract ASAP.

1. Aldon
2. Iupati.
3. Everyone else.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone notice how the game started going down hill once Mike Iupati[/B] left the game?

The Niners need to get that sum-bitch locked up to a long-term contract ASAP.

1. Aldon
2. Iupati.
3. Everyone else.

lol, hardly any of those events though you can link to Iupati. 4 down TD pass by WIlson. Lynch 40 yard run. Kaepernick going full retard. Shit calls by the refs.

Iupati didnt seem to do shit when he was in the game, just like all year.

Aldon on the other hand is a franchise player and a stud. LOCK HIM UP. Very special player. Too bad we didn't have more players like him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
lol, hardly any of those events though you can link to Iupati. 4 down TD pass by WIlson. Lynch 40 yard run. Kaepernick going full retard. Shit calls by the refs.

Iupati didnt seem to do shit when he was in the game, just like all year.

:doh: What the hell does any of that have to do with the play of a left guard?

Iupati was playing through a bad injury this year.

If you don't realize a 26-year-old guard who was 1st-team all-pro' last year & played all 16 games his first 3 years & has never gotten in trouble is about as safe an investment as there is in the NFL then you probably haven't been following very long / closely.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Iupati's injury history, I'm no paying him a lot of money. Breaking the bank for an injury prone OL, isn't a good investment.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
With Iupati's injury history, I'm no paying him a lot of money. Breaking the bank for an injury prone OL, isn't a good investment.

Injury history? This is the first season he ever missed a game. And the injury wasn't exactly a Bowman-like injury.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury history? This is the first season he ever missed a game. And the injury wasn't exactly a Bowman-like injury.

They were both bad injuries. I don't have the numbers but I would assume he was easily are most often injured player (most times going out with injury) this year.

Pozz, any numbers on this?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They were both bad injuries. I don't have the numbers but I would assume he was easily are most often injured player (most times going out with injury) this year.

Pozz, any numbers on this?

As opposed to a good injury?

This far into Joe Staley's career he had missed 14 games. Iupati has missed 4 games.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As opposed to a good injury?

This far into Joe Staley's career he had missed 14 games. Iupati has missed 4 games.

Obviously there is a huge difference between a broken bone or tear (bad injury) and a pulled muscle.

This isn't about Joe Staley but Joe Staley got extended for dirt cheap, especially for a pro bowl OLT. Not to mention they are two completely different people. Lets not get off topic, we're talking about Iupati and his injuries, literally every game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Obviously there is a huge difference between a broken bone or tear (bad injury) and a pulled muscle.

This isn't about Joe Staley but Joe Staley got extended for dirt cheap, especially for a pro bowl OLT. Not to mention they are two completely different people. Lets not get off topic, we're talking about Iupati and his injuries, literally every game.

Dodub... I almost feel sorry for you sometimes. You just keep trying to defend some of the most indefensible positions in the universe. If I ever have a daughter & you ever have a son I would want her to date your son because I'm sure you would teach him the value of loyalty. Undying loyalty.

Comparing him to another offensive lineman who plays right next to him is off topic?

"Literally every game," as you put it, somehow equals 4 games out of 64 in the regular season?

And for the love of crap Mike Iupati had THE EXACT SAME INJURY AS JOE STALEY THIS YEAR. A sprained MCL. :L Iupati's sprain was just a little more severe. And it wasn't even a tear!