• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ERS MUST PAY UP

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Major contract negotiations coming up (or probably going on as we speak) with Kaepernick, Aldon, and Crabtree. Oh and not to mention Iupati as well. Is there a way we keep all of them? Oh and not to mention Boldin, Whitner, and Dawson coming up as free agents after the season. So there is obviously no way we keep them all...With Kaepernick and Aldon being the priorities we will no doubt retain, who else can we retain? I can see us slapping the franchise tag on Crabtree after next season as I doubt we will get a new deal done with him any time soon. So he will probably be a Niner for two more seasons...What about Iupati?...I can see us re-signing Boldin after the season to a short, expensive deal and we should be able to keep Dawson as well. What about Whitner? Are he and Iupati the odd men out?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kap and Aldon will obviously get deals.

When it comes to Boldin and Whitner it depends on how much they are willing to take.

Crabtree might be the odd man out eventually because he's likely going to want big time WR money.

I believe the team has already kicked the tires on giving Iupati a new deal so it's likely they intend to resign him.

With some creative juggling with the contract structuring we should be able to resign most of those guys.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From what I saw, Iupati did not have a very good season and is probably our most overrated player on the team. I really dont think he's all that important to us. If the contract is decent, obviously keep him but I'm guessing he'll want a big contract. I'd much rather spend that money on keeping Kapernick, Aldon and Crabtree.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
personally i dont think its smart to sign interior offensive lineman to big contracts. IMO they are some of the most easily replaceable players. Id resign crab over iupati anyday.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, our defense is going to suck after all these contracts. People don't realize the luxury SF, SEA, and INDY are in with what they are paying their rookie QBs

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I saw, Iupati did not have a very good season and is probably our most overrated player on the team. I really dont think he's all that important to us. If the contract is decent, obviously keep him but I'm guessing he'll want a big contract. I'd much rather spend that money on keeping Kapernick, Aldon and Crabtree.

Iupati still made the All-Pro Team this season, considering he missed 4 games and didn't look as dominant as last season I was kinda shocked...I definitely look to keep Crabtree before Iupati. Crab and Kap have a great connection and for that reason alone its worth it...Again, I see them franchise tagging Crab after 2014 as I don't think he will be easy at all to re-sign...But it may be worth it..As for Boldin, I can see them giving him a short, expensive contract after this season, say 2 years 12 million..Restructuring some players and cutting others will obiously free up room.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes i wish a QB would just nut up and say 'you know what? pay me less so we can continue to win all the time'

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes i wish a QB would just nut up and say 'you know what? pay me less so we can continue to win all the time'

I believe Alex Smith accepted a pay cut just to stay on the team. I think this was during the Singletary era.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would you "sack up" for the company you worked for? I know you are most likely not making millions but would you be ok with getting paid less than you should knowing your company used you to make an enormous amount of money?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Adequate Guard play is pretty easy to find.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Agreed. Adequate Guard play is pretty easy to find.

First of all Iupati was injured part of the year. He's the best guard in the NFL. He had a monster game against the Packers.

Second of all, adequate guard play is not easy to find. Look how long it took the 49ers to put together a good O-line. They spent 2 very high picks on guards (Baas & Smiley) & still had a crap OL.

If interiour defensive linemen are so important to the success of a team then interiour offensive linemen are just as important in keeping those guys at bay. Great postseason teams are usually defined by defense, and the most important aspect of a defense is controlling the middle. Who makes sure that doesn't happen? Guys like Iupati. You don't want to see Kaepernick without a great OL.

3rd of al "adequate" guards are not something you want. You want good guards. Great would be preferable (like the Niners have right now).

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The secret to the Niners' success over the last few years has been the OL. Not only do they need to keep Iupati, but they also need to double down & find a good or even great center. In fact, I think Center is going to the a bigger need than CB or even safety in the offseason, and I'd pay big time to get a good one. Even if that means no Boldin & playing a rookie at safety.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

First of all Iupati was injured part of the year. He's the best guard in the NFL. He had a monster game against the Packers.

Second of all, adequate guard play is not easy to find. Look how long it took the 49ers to put together a good O-line. They spent 2 very high picks on guards (Baas & Smiley) & still had a crap OL.

If interiour defensive linemen are so important to the success of a team then interiour offensive linemen are just as important in keeping those guys at bay. Great postseason teams are usually defined by defense, and the most important aspect of a defense is controlling the middle. Who makes sure that doesn't happen? Guys like Iupati. You don't want to see Kaepernick without a great OL.

3rd of al "adequate" guards are not something you want. You want good guards. Great would be preferable (like the Niners have right now).

I agree that in a perfect world it is beneficial to have great guards but with a salary cap I dont think its smart to pay a guard, no matter how good he is, 7-8-9 million per year when you have to pay other positions so much.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I agree that in a perfect world it is beneficial to have great guards but with a salary cap I dont think its smart to pay a guard, no matter how good he is, 7-8-9 million per year when you have to pay other positions so much.

That's why the team needs to make tough decisions at other positions. Iupati is more important to the Niners' success than Ahmad Brooks. If the Niners trade Brooks they can use that cap room to sign Iupati.

Same thing with Crabtree. Iupati > Crabby. It's the truth. Crabby's shoes will be much easier to fill. A number of guys in this last draft could've done so quite well. Hopkins, Patterson, Hunter, Allen... There wasn't a guy in the draft who could've replaced Iupati. Not even close.

Keep the OL strong! Nay... make it even stronger when suckbag Goodwin is finally gone!

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's why the team needs to make tough decisions at other positions. Iupati is more important to the Niners' success than Ahmad Brooks. If the Niners trade Brooks they can use that cap room to sign Iupati.

Same thing with Crabtree. Iupati > Crabby. It's the truth. Crabby's shoes will be much easier to fill. A number of guys in this last draft could've done so quite well. Hopkins, Patterson, Hunter, Allen... There wasn't a guy in the draft who could've replaced Iupati. Not even close.

Keep the OL strong! Nay... make it even stronger when suckbag Goodwin is finally gone!

I would much rather get a boone clone with a contract similar to boones and use the rest of the money on more coveted positions.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would much rather get a boone clone with a contract similar to boones and use the rest of the money on more coveted positions.

And I'd rather draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round of this upcoming draft than pay Kaepernick, but neither one is likely to happen. Boone is a pro bowl caliber guard. Those cost big money. The Niners got lucky with his contract; he's out-playing his salary.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And I'd rather draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round of this upcoming draft than pay Kaepernick, but neither one is likely to happen. Boone is a pro bowl caliber guard. Those cost big money. The Niners got lucky with his contract; he's out-playing his salary.

Boones are probably easier to find than bradys

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Boones are probably easier to find than bradys

I don't think anyone on earth would disagree with that. I was just making the point that counting on getting EXTREMELY lucky again is not a good strategy. You are MUCH more likey to find a Justin Smiley than an Alex Boone unless you devote a high draft pick or a lot of money into the position.

Do you really want to see what the Niners' offense would look like without a great OL? Harbaugh's entire scheme depends on being able to push people around, control the clock & wear teams down by the end of the game.

I'm much more willing to take a flyer on a safety or WR & keep the OL strong than break up the best OL in the business and pay more money for a safety or WR.

Look at New England. Wes Welker was one of the best WRs in the AFC. He's gone, he's gone Oh-wah; oh wah. And they haven't devoted a lot of money or high draft picks to the WR position. They made sure to pay up for Logan Mankins though.