• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

34-64-94 MLB Draft Playoff Game 4 : 500 vs EHB

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing wrong with torre at all... He was a very good batter... But it looks like you are just trying to hide a righty... There is no need to do that with Boggs Musial and Bonds...

Looking at your offense and how lefty dominant you were I don't see one easy lineup... But the lefty dominance should not have mattered in this matchup... so I would have not even took into account separating... after all separating is only really an advantage vs relievers...

for this matchup: I would have had

1. Boggs
2. Gwynn
3. Bonds
4. Musial
5. McCovey
6. Torre
7. Sandberg
8. Visquel
9. Averill

Unfortunately, no matter what you would have likely lost in the next rounds since other teams had better L/R balance in their pitching staff...

I kind of get the argument that I shouldnt have messed with it but I dont think theres any way what I did was worse than what it would have been. In the same way that it doesnt really matter if I had 4 or 5 straight lefties I dont think it really matters if I set the lineup in that way. I guess what Im trying to say is Im fine with people voting for 500 if its because he has a better team. If they did it because of my lineup I think thats dumb.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of get the argument that I shouldnt have messed with it but I dont think theres any way what I did was worse than what it would have been. In the same way that it doesnt really matter if I had 4 or 5 straight lefties I dont think it really matters if I set the lineup in that way. I guess what Im trying to say is Im fine with people voting for 500 if its because he has a better team. If they did it because of my lineup I think thats dumb.

Well, I voted for you... Funny that 500 and ritzy are in the 3rd place competition... I had both being a bottom half team...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torre has no business getting more AB's per game/series/season than Bonds and Gwynn. The difference between all these teams is so small, a lineup that's out of whack can be the difference. I would have gone

Boggs
Gwynn
Bonds
Musial
Torre
McCovey
Sandberg
Averill
Vizquel

This leaves you lefty heavy, but your top 4 would hit lefty/righty fine

At the HS level, your best hitter has to hit one or two .In MLB, he has to hit 3 .The only time he is for sure a 3 hole is the first inning, after that it's wherever he falls next AB . You hit him 3rd in the 1st inning to maximize his RBI chances, but if you drop him to 4, you're taking away AB's. Unless you have Ruth, Bonds should hit 3, and there's no way he should hit behind Torre

Disagree. Even in MLB your best hitter should hit 1, 2, or 4. 3 spot is far more likely to come up with nobody on and 2 outs and the difference in ABs is pretty nonexistant especially in a 7 game series.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Even in MLB your best hitter should hit 1, 2, or 4. 3 spot is far more likely to come up with nobody on and 2 outs and the difference in ABs is pretty nonexistant especially in a 7 game series.

what is mistaken with your logic, is that we are talking about elite offenses... in real baseball teams hide players to make their lineups deeper and better... Here in these mocks we cant hide batters...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is mistaken with your logic, is that we are talking about elite offenses... in real baseball teams hide players to make their lineups deeper and better... Here in these mocks we cant hide batters...

Maybe but either way I just dont think it matters. IMO lineups dont actually matter that much in these.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but either way I just dont think it matters. IMO lineups dont actually matter that much in these.

I strongly disagree... I think it is important to Maximize your best players... If your best players are high OBP/low power, you must have players after them to drive them in... If your best players are high power guys, you need players on base to maximize them...

If your not maximizing your best players, then you are not going to win...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we just hate torre here? Cuz really I just don't see the big deal with the lineup. Not trying to argue abut votes just curious on everyone's thoughts. @blstoker @UK Cowboy @MilkSpiller22

Ok, let's start with Torre.

When constructing a line up I have some roles for each spot in the line up. 3 should be the best overall hitter. That just isn't Torre. Even during his playing days he was rarely asked to bat 3rd (4th, yes, but different role there). In a lineup with 4 of the best hitters all time in it, I just can't see how Torre should be considered batting higher than 6th or 7th.

Now, as to my dislike of your line up - as that isn't just a Torre batting 3rd issue. People put too much stock into the splits at times, but the splts are pretty big advantage/disadvantage when talking about LHBs. Though you would demolish a righty heavy rotation and staff (usually), you'd struggle against lefty staffs. Guys like Boggs (.044/.061/.077/.137) struggled against lefties compared to the numbers they put up against righties. In the end, with a more balanced pitching staff - so many lefties could prove to be an anchor around your team.

I had you beat 500, and it wasn't even close. I thought that the advantage of your 7 LHBs would make it difficult for his pitching staff to keep his starters from getting chased, and his bullpen wouldn't be able to stop the slaughter. I didn't really care for 500s team this time, but people rarely agree with my assessments (so next time we need to pick a winner maybe we should just reverse my power rankings).

Here's how I would have done the line ups:

Righties:
Gwynn
Boggs
Bonds
Musial
McCovey
Torre
Averill
Sandberg
Vizquel

Lefties: