• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 10.11 Duck the Fodgers Game 3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know when that rule was created but it was probably at a time when it was rare for a starting pitcher to go less than 5. Make then, the controversy was giving a guy who couldn't even make it just past half way through the game a W. It was probably the fair thing to do at the time but is antiquated now.
Absolutely.

It wasn’t that long ago when any start shorter than 6 or 7 was considered mediocre at best. Now, 4 innings gets a standing O.

This is not our fathers baseball.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know when that rule was created but it was probably at a time when it was rare for a starting pitcher to go less than 5. Make then, the controversy was giving a guy who couldn't even make it just past half way through the game a W. It was probably the fair thing to do at the time but is antiquated now.

That rule was probably created back when it was rare for a starting pitcher to go less than a complete game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda funny to think about how the team with unlimited money lost this game in large part because of two guys, Wood and McGee, that they didn't re-sign.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That rule was probably created back when it was rare for a starting pitcher to go less than a complete game.
So the league probably felt that they were very generous to limit it to ONLY lasting 5 innings. I can imagine that there were some old guys who were angry that it wasn't set at 8 innings.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the league probably felt that they were very generous to limit it to ONLY lasting 5 innings. I can imagine that there were some old guys who were angry that it wasn't set at 8 innings.

Cy Young pitched a complete game in 749 of his 815 starts. I can imagine him thinking that the 5 inning rule is bull shit. LOL.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cy Young pitched a complete game in 749 of his 815 starts. I can imagine him thinking that the 5 inning rule is bull shit. LOL.
That's one reason Cy had the most losses in history

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers got the win.

That starter minimum rule HAS to be readdressed. Rogers did great, but this was Wood’s game.
As much as I like what Doval did for us yesterday .... for me the real surprise was Wood ..... without his almost perfect 5 innings ... I don't think this would have been a very happy board ... have to also give props to Trog for holding us there ... and McGee for getting us out of a tight spot .... a real team pitching effort .... and of coiurse LONGO!

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely.

It wasn’t that long ago when any start shorter than 6 or 7 was considered mediocre at best. Now, 4 innings gets a standing O.

This is not our fathers baseball.
Yep ... not baseball as I grew up with ....
I'm still not sure what has prompted this change iin pitching ... but it is changing. IMHO I think the underlying reason for this move is 'money'. As things progressed we hit the point where a good/great SP was hitting figures between 25-30M a year. That's a he;ll of a lot money to spend one one 'type' of player .... especially for one that only goes once every 5 days.

This approach vchanges that cost ... at least for now it does ....

Do we see a further specialization now .... a lead off pitcher ... followed by a middle relief pitcher ... followed by set up reliever (8th) .... followed by the closer. Maybe even a pre-set up pitcher (7th)?

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep ... not baseball as I grew up with ....
I'm still not sure what has prompted this change iin pitching ... but it is changing. IMHO I think the underlying reason for this move is 'money'. As things progressed we hit the point where a good/great SP was hitting figures between 25-30M a year. That's a he;ll of a lot money to spend one one 'type' of player .... especially for one that only goes once every 5 days.

This approach vchanges that cost ... at least for now it does ....

Do we see a further specialization now .... a lead off pitcher ... followed by a middle relief pitcher ... followed by set up reliever (8th) .... followed by the closer. Maybe even a pre-set up pitcher (7th)?

I’m gonna say expansion is part of it as well. You have a lot of 4 and 5 starters that shouldn’t be in the league. Hitters as well. Guys that 40 or 50 years ago wouldn’t even get a sniff of the bigs are now up and not even pitching or hitting at the level they did back then to stay up.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I like what Doval did for us yesterday .... for me the real surprise was Wood ..... without his almost perfect 5 innings ... I don't think this would have been a very happy board ... have to also give props to Trog for holding us there ... and McGee for getting us out of a tight spot .... a real team pitching effort .... and of coiurse LONGO!
Craw’s ladder play was just as important as anything else anyone else did all night.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m gonna say expansion is part of it as well. You have a lot of 4 and 5 starters that shouldn’t be in the league. Hitters as well. Guys that 40 or 50 years ago wouldn’t even get a sniff of the bigs are now up and not even pitching or hitting at the level they did back then to stay up.
There hasn’t been expansion in 30 years, though. That’s 2 generations (ish). And this change is just now KINDA beginning to take hold (only 2 teams have 100% bought in).

I think it is a combination of specialization, analytics and advanced scouting/preparation. Teams know how a pitcher does in every conceivable situation. It is now known, and respected, how a pitcher does at different pitch counts, in each inning in each time through the order. Wood is only good for 2 times through the order, for example.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@calsnowskier

The Brewers have scored 2 runs in 3 games vs Atlanta. Is it the pitching of the Braves? Like I said, you gotta be able to hit at least some.
Who would have expected the Braves to be the Brewers downfall? There's still time but the Brewers are the ones limping and the Braves look good.