• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2025 Rosterbation

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an original question, but I think it belongs in this thread, regardless.

Assume Snell opts out. Do we make a SERIOUS push to resign him? What kind of contract is acceptable?

Next year will be his age 32 season, and he is, historically, just a half-season pitcher (though, it is the SECOND half, so it is the more important part). He will also likely be looking for 4+ years with a decently large AAV. Reportedly he likes BoMel and likes the Giants, though his comments during his last IL stretch about the Giants getting impatient with him were, on the surface, disturbing. But that could all be BS and the comments could have been, in actuality, just throw away thoughts that got blown out of proportion.

Further, do we actually need him? Especially at a high price tag. We already have Webb, Ray (assuming he does not opt out), Harrison, Birdy, Hicks and a whole slew of high-end pitching prospects (Whisenhunt, Roupp, Beck, etc). Would signing an older SP to a contract that would likely be bigger than 4/100 be a good use of resources? Should we instead spend that money on a 3rd OFer or a backup catcher or a 2B or a 1B or…

I don’t really have a strong opinion yet. Having extra SP is always important. Look at how our SP situation in the first half of this season absolutely killed us. But if we sign him, is that bad faith regarding Hicks (assuming he would be the first rotation casualty)?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an original question, but I think it belongs in this thread, regardless.

Assume Snell opts out. Do we make a SERIOUS push to resign him? What kind of contract is acceptable?

Next year will be his age 32 season, and he is, historically, just a half-season pitcher (though, it is the SECOND half, so it is the more important part). He will also likely be looking for 4+ years with a decently large AAV. Reportedly he likes BoMel and likes the Giants, though his comments during his last IL stretch about the Giants getting impatient with him were, on the surface, disturbing. But that could all be BS and the comments could have been, in actuality, just throw away thoughts that got blown out of proportion.

Further, do we actually need him? Especially at a high price tag. We already have Webb, Ray (assuming he does not opt out), Harrison, Birdy, Hicks and a whole slew of high-end pitching prospects (Whisenhunt, Roupp, Beck, etc). Would signing an older SP to a contract that would likely be bigger than 4/100 be a good use of resources? Should we instead spend that money on a 3rd OFer or a backup catcher or a 2B or a 1B or…

I don’t really have a strong opinion yet. Having extra SP is always important. Look at how our SP situation in the first half of this season absolutely killed us. But if we sign him, is that bad faith regarding Hicks (assuming he would be the first rotation casualty)?
I think we should make a strong push to sign him even if it's an overpay. Him anchoring this rotation could be a 2010 blueprint (we'll see how the next 2 months look). And if they miss, then the points in this post apply and not a huge loss.

Also, signing him frees up Hicks and others to trade for power bats that won't sign here as FAs (Luis Robert, etc)

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very tough call. I think the minimum he'd sign for would be 3 years at 110M and in todays market that may not be enough.. i would refuse to provide an opt out fot him. If we sign him it should be for a full 3 year run.

My only real concern is what kind of effect does that have on Webb. He signed a 5 year 90M contract. Do we renegotiate his contract if his feathers get ruffled.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very tough call. I think the minimum he'd sign for would be 3 years at 110M and in todays market that may not be enough.. i would refuse to provide an opt out fot him. If we sign him it should be for a full 3 year run.

My only real concern is what kind of effect does that have on Webb. He signed a 5 year 90M contract. Do we renegotiate his contract if his feathers get ruffled.
I love Webb, but he doesn’t have the resume that Snell has. And Snell has leverage that Webb didn’t have. When Webb signed, I believe the Giants still had 2 years of control, so in essence, they were really signing him to a 3-year extension, not a 5-year FA deal. Apples and oranges.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought that Flores had a club option for 2025, and that is correct, but what I forgot until re-reading that MLBTR article is that he has a player option that needs to be declined before the Giants can decide on the club option. If he exercises the option, the club option essentially goes away. So Flores will be coming back in 2025, unless the Giants release or trade him.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought that Flores had a club option for 2025, and that is correct, but what I forgot until re-reading that MLBTR article is that he has a player option that needs to be declined before the Giants can decide on the club option. If he exercises the option, the club option essentially goes away. So Flores will be coming back in 2025, unless the Giants release or trade him.
Ugh, so we are stuck with paying his salary for next year. Nobody will take him unless he is traded.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His player option is for $3.5M…hardly a burdensome contract
Yeah. That hardly guarantees him a roster spot. He was a good Giant, but I think that good feeling ends at the end of this year. I think the G’s can walk away from him conscious free after this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His player option is for $3.5M…hardly a burdensome contract

Yeah. That hardly guarantees him a roster spot. He was a good Giant, but I think that good feeling ends at the end of this year. I think the G’s can walk away from him conscious free after this year.
@tzill, is it your take that he'll be on the active roster to start 2025 (assuming he is healthy)?

@calsnowskier , when do you see the Giants releasing him? Prior to the player option being exercised? Right after it? During spring training?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tzill, is it your take that he'll be on the active roster to start 2025 (assuming he is healthy)?

@calsnowskier , when do you see the Giants releasing him? Prior to the player option being exercised? Right after it? During spring training?
Pulling this directly out of my black hole…

they will have to pay him that 3.5 regardless. So if they think there is even a chance he might have an outside chance of making the opening 26 (or the IL), there is no rush to release him. Heck, apparently he was injured this entire season, so there is a more-than-zero chance he has some kind of bounce back season next year.

But ignoring anyone’s “feels”, is there really room on the roster for an injury prone DH whose bat is in the neighborhood of replacement level?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pulling this directly out of my black hole…

they will have to pay him that 3.5 regardless. So if they think there is even a chance he might have an outside chance of making the opening 26 (or the IL), there is no rush to release him. Heck, apparently he was injured this entire season, so there is a more-than-zero chance he has some kind of bounce back season next year.

But ignoring anyone’s “feels”, is there really room on the roster for an injury prone DH whose bat is in the neighborhood of replacement level?
This is where I think there needs to be some answers. When did Melvin learn this? During spring training? In May? The first time he went on the IL? Did the training staff know this? How about the FO? If they knew a while ago, why would they continue to run out a player who was obviously not hitting at previous levels when they knew he was injured? His numbers have been awful. The argument that an injured Flores is better than his AAA replacement is ridiculous and the numbers bore that out.
If Flores hid this until his first IL placement, then I could understand the lunacy of him being on the active roster for the 1st half of the season. Otherwise, that is just another story that illustrates the incompetence of this organization.

All that being said, if he is truly healthy in spring training next year, it is worth seeing if he can bounce back. If he can get close to his 2023 production, he is a worthy full time DH for this club.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it’s 75/25 against him being on the roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the top 10 FAs next year:

1. Soto
2. Burnes
3. Sasaki
4. Alonso
5. Snelk
6. Fried
7. Santander
8. Bellinger
9. Ozuma
10. Bregman/Chappy

assuming FA hitters aren’t going to come here, that eliminates 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10

i think we go all in on Snelk, and are active on Burnes and Sasaki. We might have a shot at Chappy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, Shane Bieber is a classic FZ target - injured, won’t pitch til the second half next year. Excellent when healthy. 2/40 with an opt out.

this is so happening.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Soto
2. Burnes
3. Sasaki
4. Alonso
5. Snelk
6. Fried
7. Santander
8. Bellinger
9. Ozuma
10. Bregman/Chappy

assuming FA hitters aren’t going to come here, that eliminates 1, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10

i think we go all in on Snelk, and are active on Burnes and Sasaki. We might have a shot at Chappy.
We need to prioritize and win keeping both Snell and Chapman. Bob Melvin might be the key there

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Soto
2. Burnes
3. Sasaki
4. Alonso
5. Snelk
6. Fried
7. Santander
8. Bellinger
9. Ozuma
10. Bregman/Chappy

I fully expect Chappy back, even if he opts out. He seems like a perfect fit here. And he wouldnt be blocking anyone (Chasey, MAYBE?? VR? Hipwell is still 3 or 4 years away, best case scenario)

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to prioritize and win keeping both Snell and Chapman. Bob Melvin might be the key there
Snelll would be a key acquisition but also a difficult one. He will get multiple offers and many from division leaders and he will get as much money as he asks for. IMHO for him to want to stay here we need to sell him next the next few years and show him a clear path tp the playoffs. I also think that Ray staying with us is a great selling point. The rotation would be elite. I'm guessing 4 years at 130M will be his asking price.