• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Rosterbation

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very happy with this signing. Dependable and a BoMel guy. Takes pressure of the yuths with Ahmed backing Lucy. Contract is one of those rare ones that benefit both

Get some pitching to bridge Ray/Cobb gap and let's get to opening day
I’m only ok with this if we are also adding a pitcher.

Otherwise it’s Phuking stupid.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one has me torn and, as much as I hate to admit it, leaning toward Farhan on this one. Crawford looks done. Maybe he'll surprise us (again) and show he can handle a reserve role at 37 years old. However, I think it was good for the Giants to move on. Just wish it would have been under mutual agreement.

In the Atlantic article, Crawford does bring up a good point on countering the reason why FZ didn't want to bring him back - lack of versatility. It is curious that he would use that as a reason when FZ was ready to put Crawford at 3rd base full time last offseason. On top of that, the guy whom the Giants did bring in to possible fill that role, Nick Ahmed, is basically the younger version of Crawford (Ahmed did play 2 games at 2nd in his rookie season but that is it for defensive versatility).

Once again, FZ does look like he's not being honest in his explanation. He should have been straightforward that the team was going to offload the most severe underperformers from 2023 and offered Crawford a special coaching position, which would have worked well with Crawford's stated intent to help the younger guys. That would have put a lot less pressure on them to perform or have the press and fans calling for Crawford to play more if any of them did not perform well or if Crawford did perform better.

I get that Crawford wants to keep playing for his kids (he stated that the older ones cajoled him into continuing his career) and I am happy a team is willing to give him a guaranteed roster spot (which is very surprising). I wish him well.
Not many careers end super smoothly for team and long time player (MadBum, Lincecum, Sandoval, Crawford...hell Mays, McCovey, etc. And that's just the Giants)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure everyone knows by now, but…

20M/18M/16M with an opt out every year.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, hope that glove is all its cracked up to be because the bat may be all that is cracked up to not be.
With a clear need for another pitcher and Davis having a good spring .... makes me wonder why ... and also hope there is still another transaction or two still out there ...

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, signing Chapman also cost the Giants the second-highest pick (the 51st overall selection) in the 2024 draft as well as $500K in international signing pool money since he rejected a qualifying offer. Signing Snell would cost the Giants another $500K from their pool, plus their third-highest pick in the upcoming draft, according to MLBTR.
If the Giants do sign Snell, they go past the luxury tax for the first time since 2017 and effectively punt on building further depth through the 2024 draft and international amateur market.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a clear need for another pitcher and Davis having a good spring .... makes me wonder why ... and also hope there is still another transaction or two still out there ...
This is FZ.

OF COURSE there are more transactions…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, signing Chapman also cost the Giants the second-highest pick (the 51st overall selection) in the 2024 draft as well as $500K in international signing pool money since he rejected a qualifying offer. Signing Snell would cost the Giants another $500K from their pool, plus their third-highest pick in the upcoming draft, according to MLBTR.
If the Giants do sign Snell, they go past the luxury tax for the first time since 2017 and effectively punt on building further depth through the 2024 draft and international amateur market.
Well…

Their MO is to punt on traditional depth building anyway. So, no cost…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get the Brewers on the phone. We've got Bart and JDD to trade...they have Burnes. What else would it take to get him?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...no. Those two picks and draft pool reduction is not "punting" on building depth. It just makes it a little harder.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...no. Those two picks and draft pool reduction is not "punting" on building depth. It just makes it a little harder.
If they make moves, we bitch. If they don't make moves, we bitch.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Punting in the sense that there is really no indication that this FO wants to be serious about building depth this year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is being selective so wrong?
Is that what you're doing? All I see is bitching no matter what they do or don't do. In your case I get the sense you really want them to never make trades or FA signings, just draft players only?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic today:

Chapman’s defensive skills have anchored his value while his production at the plate has fluctuated. He wields fearsome power but often struggles to make contact. He has batted .226 since 2020, though his ability to draw walks and slug has kept him an above-average hitter, with a 109 OPS+ during those years.

The 2023 season proved emblematic of Chapman’s offensive volatility. He was a terror in the season’s first month for Toronto. Chapman hit .384 with a 1.152 OPS in April.

During the rest of the season, he hit .205 with a .659 OPS. While he has cut down on his strikeout rate in recent years, his power has also diminished. Chapman supplied 17 home runs in 2023, his lowest total in a full season during his career.

Set your expectations accordingly

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Athletic today:

Chapman’s defensive skills have anchored his value while his production at the plate has fluctuated. He wields fearsome power but often struggles to make contact. He has batted .226 since 2020, though his ability to draw walks and slug has kept him an above-average hitter, with a 109 OPS+ during those years.

The 2023 season proved emblematic of Chapman’s offensive volatility. He was a terror in the season’s first month for Toronto. Chapman hit .384 with a 1.152 OPS in April.

During the rest of the season, he hit .205 with a .659 OPS. While he has cut down on his strikeout rate in recent years, his power has also diminished. Chapman supplied 17 home runs in 2023, his lowest total in a full season during his career.

Set your expectations accordingly
There's a reason he didn't get nearly the Boras number he wanted. That said, he was the last decent position player left on the shelf. I don't think this team will be great but they might be wild card good and I'm glad they are making moves.