• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Third time is the charm?

Oooooh, 6/200. $33.3 AAV. We could have offered that with minimal luxury tax for the first year.

Of course, it says the Twins "reached agreement", not "signed".

It ain't over till it's over.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming that the Giants break with an eight-man bullpen, and that two of their starting candidates (Alex Wood, Jakob Junis, perhaps Anthony DeSclafani) begin in swingman roles, the rest of the group should include Brebbia, Jackson, left-hander Scott Alexander, right-hander Camilo Doval, and Tyler and Taylor Rogers. Of that group, only Doval and Tyler Rogers can be optioned to the minors, and both pitchers have elevated themselves above the Triple-A shuttle.

Let that sink in:

Doval
Tyler
Taylor
Alexander
Jackson
Brebbia
Wood
Junis

I'd take that bullpen against any other.
I still think we should strongly consider a six-man rotation. Webb is very good, but without a superstud arm, a true six-man rotation (with no "openers") would resolve a number of issues for us, IMHO.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing someone else at this point (without a corresponding trade) would require Junis or Szapucki probably getting DFA’d. So anyone we get needs to be a significant upgrade, imho.
I could see the Giants dfa'ing one of Gonzalez, Long or Diaz.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooooh, 6/200. $33.3 AAV. We could have offered that with minimal luxury tax for the first year.

I kinda hope that things break down and a 4th team comes in and signs him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still “pending a physical”. He is still a FA.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Giants dfa'ing one of Gonzalez, Long or Diaz.
That doesn’t solve the 26-man issue. We don’t have much flexibility with options atm.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my coworkers lives in Philly and is a BIG Phillies fan (at least as much of a Phillies fan as we are Giants fans). I asked him about Miller today, and he said he is a high ceiling kid with serious control issues. He is a SP who got bully work last year more so due to his injury (to control his workload) than anything else.

He is a starter.

I like the trade even more.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn’t solve the 26-man issue. We don’t have much flexibility with options atm.
I see, you are talking from a options perspective. Then, yes, I agree with you on that assessment. The upgrade needs to be more significant. Who would you consider significant enough? Off hand, I'd say the top 10 remaining free agent relievers left are Archie Bradley, Michael Fulmer, Zack Britton, Andrew Chafin, Aroldis Chapman, Brad Hand, Matt Moore, Scott Oberg, Will Smith and Matt Wisler.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see, you are talking from a options perspective. Then, yes, I agree with you on that assessment. The upgrade needs to be more significant. Who would you consider significant enough? Off hand, I'd say the top 10 remaining free agent relievers left are Archie Bradley, Michael Fulmer, Zack Britton, Andrew Chafin, Aroldis Chapman, Brad Hand, Matt Moore, Scott Oberg, Will Smith and Matt Wisler.
Chafin, please. 2/12. Maybe a bit more.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda hope that things break down and a 4th the first team comes in and signs him.

FIFY.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue. I think you need to be in industry to really rate relievers. Chafin and Smith, without doing a deep dive, look promising. But I don’t really want either at the cost of Szapucki. Maybe at the expense of Junis, though. Not certain either is really worth the trade off, though, given that we would be on the hook for the entirety of his contract and we would be getting older in the process.

I don’t want to sacrifice anything 2024 related for a 2023 benefit.

Reactions: LHG

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by chance the Twins rejected him, what would we offer? 5/150?
I get the feeling Correa views us as the team that screwed over his money, embarrassed him with the intro and severely limited his market. I don’t think he signs here unless the G’s agree to the original 13 year deal. My humble opinion.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling Correa views us as the team that screwed over his money, embarrassed him with the intro and severely limited his market. I don’t think he signs here unless the G’s agree to the original 13 year deal. My humble opinion.
Obviously, though, Boras has convinced him that in the market's eyes, he has a substantial risk factor associated with him. Accordingly, there is no way on God's green earth that Correa is expecting anything close to 13/350. IMHO.

If the Twins reject him and rescind their 6/200 bid, Correa will not get a better offer than that from anyone, including us.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, though, Boras has convinced him that in the market's eyes, he has a substantial risk factor associated with him. Accordingly, there is no way on God's green earth that Correa is expecting anything close to 13/350. IMHO.

If the Twins reject him and rescind their 6/200 bid, Correa will not get a better offer than that from anyone, including us.
What I’m saying is, I don’t believe he wants to be a giant unless we way overpay…maybe not even then.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I’m saying is, I don’t believe he wants to be a giant unless we way overpay…maybe not even then.
I don't see why. Yin and yang. Yes, we rejected him, but, in essence, he and Boras tried to screw us. We did our due diligence, and now all the cards are on the table, independently corroborated by at least one other organization. Square one. There should be no bad blood. Embarrassment maybe on the part of Correaberg/Boras for trying to pull a fast one. There's too much at stake here to allow any "feelings" get in the way.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how reliable Krueger is for the Giants but…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how reliable Krueger is for the Giants but…

Its another one of tzill's guys. He'll be posting how he willed this one into being too.

Personally, Sanchez seems like he'd be a clone of what the Giants hope Bart to be. Seems a bit redundant (and more costly than what they already have). Is Sanchez going to be the starter? Then what do the Giants do with Bart? Send him down? Make him the backup? This seems to create more holes than it fills.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my coworkers lives in Philly and is a BIG Phillies fan (at least as much of a Phillies fan as we are Giants fans). I asked him about Miller today, and he said he is a high ceiling kid with serious control issues. He is a SP who got bully work last year more so due to his injury (to control his workload) than anything else.

He is a starter.

I like the trade even more.
I would agree with that.
If he can keep that WHIP manageable, his stuff will take care of the rest.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with that.
If he can keep that WHIP manageable, his stuff will take care of the rest.
Hopefully, his first year with the Giants' org is kind to him. Pitchers have taken horrible beatings with the Giants' AAA affiliate in recent years.