• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manaea is a smart addition.

Now bring me Correa and Rogers.
Not sure I get why you want Rogers. He hasn't been any good since 2019. What am I missing?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Manaea looks OK, but only as a solid 3. And at 12M per, that’s where our expectations should be. So I guess Cobb gets the bump to be our #2?

Webb
Cobb
Manaea
Disco
Wood

With Junis starting season as the swing and Hjelli and Harrison ready to jump in when needed/ready.

That is an OK rotation, but not an elite rotation. It should go great with out unimproved bully and non existent offense.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manaea isn't that exciting an addition. Not awful but not great. The dude allowed 29 home runs last year while a member of the San Diego Padres. Not exactly what you'd call encouraging. Maybe it was a fluke. However, we've got another Rodon situation. He pitches well in 2023, he is gone. He sucks, we are stuck with him another year. Seems like another DeSclafani/Wood signing. Has had better years but will he turn it around in 2023?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I get why you want Rogers. He hasn't been any good since 2019. What am I missing?
He was good in 21 (allstar), above average in 20. A down year in 22, but the price should be right.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was good in 21 (allstar), above average in 20. A down year in 22, but the price should be right.
You don't find his 2022 season with the Padres at all concerning? Yeah, I understand it could well be a blip but it could also be a start of a trend.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He pitched all of 40 innings in 2021, which tells me that most of those were before the ASB.

EDIT: Here's his game log from 2021. Last game he pitched was July 26 of that year:

Chafin would be better. Rod Beck Jr.

If we could get Chafin and Benintendi, the offseason would not have sucked.

Last edited:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way things are going with pitchers in MLB, I would very much be in favor of a six-man rotation. With Rodon, we would have that kind of depth.

Our starters in recent years haven't exactly included any "innnings eater" types.

Although, if Rodon wants something like 7/200...eesh. At least us signing Manaea gives us a little leverage, as we don't need Rodon quite as much now.

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way things are going with pitchers in MLB, I would very much be in favor of a six-man rotation. With Rodon, we would have that kind of depth.

Our starters in recent years haven't exactly included any "innnings eater" types.

Although, if Rodon wants something like 7/200...eesh. At least us signing Manaea gives us a little leverage, as we don't need Rodon quite as much now.
I also wouldn't mind seeing Wood bumped to the bullpen. If 2022 is any indicator, he shouldn't be a starter any longer.

But yeah, that contract Rodon is looking for is a bit scary.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wouldn't mind seeing Wood bumped to the bullpen. If 2022 is any indicator, he shouldn't be a starter any longer.

But yeah, that contract Rodon is looking for is a bit scary.
I have been saying since he was signed that he would be a solid long man. As a rotation piece, he seems like a passable #5 at best.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A name I haven't seen mentioned much, if at all, is our very own Scott Alexander. I had forgotten about him. I see he's already 33, but he could be a passable 6th- or 7th-inning guy for a couple more years.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying since he was signed that he would be a solid long man. As a rotation piece, he seems like a passable #5 at best.
As long as we don't have those games where Brebbia has to start, like he did 11 times last year. I think that burned out our bullpen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A name I haven't seen mentioned much, if at all, is our very own Scott Alexander. I had forgotten about him. I see he's already 33, but he could be a passable 6th- or 7th-inning guy for a couple more years.
He looked GREAT in his limited time last season. And I think he should be in the mix for a late inning, high leverage position. But he still needs to earn that slot, imho. At worst, he should be a decent clean up guy or inning eater, but I think he will be a solid piece of this year’s pen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as we don't have those games where Brebbia has to start, like he did 11 times last year. I think that burned out our bullpen.
I don’t mind the opener. As an old-time baseball fan, I don’t like it, but looking at the strategy, it is a decent idea. Announce a lefty “starter”, then the other team puts together a righty lineup and go with a righty reliever to go after the top of the lineup.

It isn’t traditional, but the logic tracks.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's generally been good throughout his big league career. His problem has been injuries. I think he'll keep it up as long as he can stay healthy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t mind the opener. As an old-time baseball fan, I don’t like it, but looking at the strategy, it is a decent idea. Announce a lefty “starter”, then the other team puts together a righty lineup and go with a righty reliever to go after the top of the lineup.

Yeah, but I think teams will adjust. If their lineup is better more left handed, they may sink an inning or two, knowing that most of the rest of the game they will face right handed pitching. The exceptions would be if the opposing team has a lot of lefties in the bullpen (which may be why teams are starting to carry more lefties in the bullpen).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It might be good for a deciding playoff game, or the last game before the ASB, where there are multiple days to recover.

But it's a very short term tactic, virtually a gimmick, and it has to burn out the 'pen. Over the course of a 162 game season (and hopefully more) it's gonna hurt more than it helps, and maybe by a lot.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be good for a deciding playoff game, or the last game before the ASB, where there are multiple days to recover.

But it's a very short term tactic, virtually a gimmick, and it has to burn out the 'pen. Over the course of a 162 game season (and hopefully more) it's gonna hurt more than it helps, and maybe by a lot.
Why?

We aren’t talking Johnny Wholestaff games. Those, I agree, are a bad idea and have very detrimental long term effects.

We are talking openers. A bully arm comes in for the first inning (or so), then the “starter” comes in to go 5 (or hopefully more) innings. I dont see how this puts more strain on the bully that the traditional “starter” strategy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?

We aren’t talking Johnny Wholestaff games. Those, I agree, are a bad idea and have very detrimental long term effects.

We are talking openers. A bully arm comes in for the first inning (or so), then the “starter” comes in to go 5 (or hopefully more) innings. I dont see how this puts more strain on the bully that the traditional “starter” strategy.
I think that he is referring to Johnny Wholestaff. I think most people think of those types of games when they think of openers. I haven't looked yet, but I'd guess that most Giant openers in 2022 were for bullpen games.