• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Offseason/Season... Draft, FA & Staff

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually meant previous years but that too!
Ahh gotcha. Are you referring to the early Dupree days when they had to keep an aged James Harrison around because Jarvis Jones didn't pan out? Chickillo & Moats were the depth pieces. Those were some stagnant times.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh gotcha. Are you referring to the early Dupree days when they had to keep an aged James Harrison around because Jarvis Jones didn't pan out? Chickillo & Moats were the depth pieces. Those were some stagnant times.
Yep! EXactly.

Even with ben moving on, you have to be hopeful. The steelers have always figures it out. The problems gonna be if colbert moves on too. Then its disaster time. However, somehow khan is still here. Im hoping theres been a hand shake agreement he takes the job, only explanation possible for him still being around here. If thats the case I feel pretty good about our future.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some early thoughts on their FAs:

CB Ahkello Witherspoon... Dude balled out down the stretch & could be a potential CB1 next season. Career volatility could drive his price down. 2-3 yr deal around $6m per seems reasonable. He was making $4.5m on a 1 yr deal this season.

DT Montravius Adams... This is more about value really. Dude is a true 0 or 1 gap DT/NT. He reminds me a lot of Hargrave in that he's uber-quick off the snap. 5 yr vet so his ceiling isn't great, but he's a perfect insurance piece that should come cheap.

CB/S Arthur Maulet... Another value guy that showed some promise and would be a decent way to shore up the secondary depth while its in transition.

WR Juju Smith-Schuster... I get it, he's drawn a fair amount of disdain from the fans over his last couple years & the WR room could use a "culture shift" but there's no denying that he's a solid WR. He's not a game-changing talent, but very capable & he's a solid team guy. I would hope both he & Claypool can mature without being told to do so. Didn't appear that many teams were interested in Juju last offseason so I doubt many will be this year.

S Terrell Edmunds... Probably not worth whatever he will get offered on the open market in March. I'd hold off on making a run at him until May or June if he's still around. The Safety market always seems to be pretty slow every year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him still available at that point. At any rate I'd like to see them upgrade this position over viewing Edmunds as a starter if they bring him back. But they just have too many holes to fill elsewhere so the priority at SS is low, which makes signing Edmunds more appealing.

T Chuks Okorafor... He has had a very up & down career thus far so I doubt he would be expensive to resign. I hope the Steelers draft for OT or go after a big fish in FA, but bringing Chuks back as a backup swing OT wouldn't be a bad idea. But the fact that Leglue can play OT makes me think they will let Chuks walk.

IOL JC Hassenauer... Even if they draft IOL like we want them to in the 1st or 2nd the IOL needs shored up. Leglue, Haeg & Green aren't bad depth pieces, but none should play Center & not even sure they can be starters. KG should immediately be moved to G this offseason, and that is still a questionable piece.

QB... I'm on the fence about Dobbs or Haskins. Without knowing their draft plans I would think they need to resign at least 1 of the 2. I'd rather see Dobbs return but he has never been given a fair shake at QB2. Dobbs is the only true clipboard QB in that he helps QB1 prepare & analyze the game as it unfolds. Dobbs could make a decent OC some day.
It's been great seeing Witherspoon shine. We were worried early on when he couldn't even get a hat. I'd let Edmunds try the market, and then sign him for cheap. He's worth a small contract, can't have stars everywhere.

I want to keep JuJu. Rather move Chase than let JuJu walk.

Hassenauer, same, he can be a backup, but I'm looking for that All-Pro guy. Linderbaum is my mancrush. Green should compete at guard.

Bring in Minschew to be this generation's Maddox for a few years.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been great seeing Witherspoon shine. We were worried early on when he couldn't even get a hat. I'd let Edmunds try the market, and then sign him for cheap. He's worth a small contract, can't have stars everywhere.

I want to keep JuJu. Rather move Chase than let JuJu walk.

Hassenauer, same, he can be a backup, but I'm looking for that All-Pro guy. Linderbaum is my mancrush. Green should compete at guard.

Bring in Minschew to be this generation's Maddox for a few years.
Depends what juju wants. He thinks hes a wr1…hes not. Not gonna be upset having him, but then do we keep diontae too? And clyapool? Theyre all coming up.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what juju wants. He thinks hes a wr1…hes not. Not gonna be upset having him, but then do we keep diontae too? And clyapool? Theyre all coming up.
I'd want to keep Diontae. But like I said, I'd move Claypool this offseason. He's just slightly less in his own way than Martavius Bryant was.
Get Mayock on the phone.

I do think JuJu is worth a borderline #1 WR contract. Lots of people would discount Ward's value too, and I think JuJu is the closest thing to a Ward any team has right now.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd want to keep Diontae. But like I said, I'd move Claypool this offseason. He's just slightly less in his own way than Martavius Bryant was.
Get Mayock on the phone.

I do think JuJu is worth a borderline #1 WR contract. Lots of people would discount Ward's value too, and I think JuJu is the closest thing to a Ward any team has right now.
Its possible. But the league also doesnt view juju as a #1 his best deal was a 1 year lower salary with the chiefs. He also just isnt the same without ab. What happened to the guy that was so dangerous in space with the ball in his hands too. Hes functioning like an edelamn or welker almost. WHich those guys r awesome, but not #1’s imho. I may well be missing something, im sure i am. He holds way more value to us than elsewhere i think.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its possible. But the league also doesnt view juju as a #1 his best deal was a 1 year lower salary with the chiefs. He also just isnt the same without ab. What happened to the guy that was so dangerous in space with the ball in his hands too. Hes functioning like an edelamn or welker almost. WHich those guys r awesome, but not #1’s imho. I may well be missing something, im sure i am. He holds way more value to us than elsewhere i think.
I'm fine with paying him less. But I do very much want to resign him to a long-term deal.

What happened to JuJu is the terrible quick-release scheme and the diminishing of Ben. JuJu can still do it, but the offense needs to get more vertical.

He has done everything asked of him, but what has been asked of him the last 3 seasons hasn't been much.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep! EXactly.

Even with ben moving on, you have to be hopeful. The steelers have always figures it out. The problems gonna be if colbert moves on too. Then its disaster time. However, somehow khan is still here. Im hoping theres been a hand shake agreement he takes the job, only explanation possible for him still being around here. If thats the case I feel pretty good about our future.
Seeing Tomlin get extended likely motivates Colbert to stick around another year or 3. He's always been a fan of the 1yr deals so I doubt he deviates from it.

They have a lot of rebuilding to do and I think Colbert looks forward to the task. If he truly wants to be remembered as one of the best GMs to do it then he won't walk away.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spit up some coffee on this... lmao
Apt comparison.

Both are physical and athletic freaks who drag down their own careers with their 10c heads and could be absolute stars if they had work ethic.

So many times I've seen Chase not pull in contested catches that his frame should be saying otherwise.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with paying him less. But I do very much want to resign him to a long-term deal.

What happened to JuJu is the terrible quick-release scheme and the diminishing of Ben. JuJu can still do it, but the offense needs to get more vertical.

He has done everything asked of him, but what has been asked of him the last 3 seasons hasn't been much.
You know. You make a really good point, and I agree.
Seeing Tomlin get extended likely motivates Colbert to stick around another year or 3. He's always been a fan of the 1yr deals so I doubt he deviates from it.

They have a lot of rebuilding to do and I think Colbert looks forward to the task. If he truly wants to be remembered as one of the best GMs to do it then he won't walk away.
The rumors just keep getting louder but I hope you are right.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Colbert wants to leave the Steelers as a contender, and show he knows his shit and can rebuild at will.

He should want to show it wasn't all just getting lucky with Ben.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apt comparison.

Both are physical and athletic freaks who drag down their own careers with their 10c heads and could be absolute stars if they had work ethic.

So many times I've seen Chase not pull in contested catches that his frame should be saying otherwise.
I was referring to the Mayock comment lol.

But yea very apt comparison. I do however think Bryant was on another level in terms of field/playing speed. He glided, whereas Claypool sorta lumbers at times. They may have similar track speed but Chase doesn't look as fast on the field. Maybe its a difference in agility or burst, or both.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to the Mayock comment lol.

But yea very apt comparison. I do however think Bryant was on another level in terms of field/playing speed. He glided, whereas Claypool sorta lumbers at times. They may have similar track speed but Chase doesn't look as fast on the field. Maybe its a difference in agility or burst, or both.
bryant was head case...........so is chase, just in different ways. Neither can get of their own way. Obv bryant was one of those cases where still to this day there was more to the story than we know, because its not like other teams took a shot on the uber talented wr. Chase has the physical skills to be an alpha wr 1........elite alpha wr 1.......in the mold of adams, or jamar chase etc.....he has those tools......just dont know that he ever gets close.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bryant was head case...........so is chase, just in different ways. Neither can get of their own way. Obv bryant was one of those cases where still to this day there was more to the story than we know, because its not like other teams took a shot on the uber talented wr. Chase has the physical skills to be an alpha wr 1........elite alpha wr 1.......in the mold of adams, or jamar chase etc.....he has those tools......just dont know that he ever gets close.
Claypool just needs to WANT IT. Because if he wants it badly enough he will take that leap. But thus far nothing really points to him having that burning hunger to be great.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claypool just needs to WANT IT. Because if he wants it badly enough he will take that leap. But thus far nothing really points to him having that burning hunger to be great.
yep. There was some rumors to this in the draft process too. That he was lazy. That he played so much slower than he ran......etc etc...they were out there.....its why a few folks thought he may be a tight end......

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep. There was some rumors to this in the draft process too. That he was lazy. That he played so much slower than he ran......etc etc...they were out there.....its why a few folks thought he may be a tight end......
I remember that TE talk. Don't think I ever heard about the laziness though. I just assumed it was based on his size. He cut weight to run as fast as he did at the combine and that eliminated the need to move him to a hybrid TE

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that TE talk. Don't think I ever heard about the laziness though. I just assumed it was based on his size. He cut weight to run as fast as he did at the combine and that eliminated the need to move him to a hybrid TE
Yeah there was some talk of that pre draft. Diva tendencies etc…

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there was some talk of that pre draft. Diva tendencies etc…
Interesting. Might have to go revisit that. I do recall watching tape on him after they drafted him and I thought his game film looked a lot slower compared to his combine numbers. Which is how I learned about him cutting weight to avoid being labeled a TE.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Might have to go revisit that. I do recall watching tape on him after they drafted him and I thought his game film looked a lot slower compared to his combine numbers. Which is how I learned about him cutting weight to avoid being labeled a TE.
Ill try and see if i can find it later tonight. There wasnt an abyndance of info there on it but whispers. Same as Ab