• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Offseason... FA, Draft, Staff, Camps, Etc

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin's presser highlights:

• The team plans to hire outside of the organization for the OC position. They are not considering Faulkner & Sullivan for the position. He admits they need a change in philosophy for this offense to be successful.
  • Kenny Pickett is still in the QB1 plans, but its his job to lose. "There will be competition". Will be interesting to see what Mason does in FA. The hope is they resign him.
  • Talked about bringing in legacy player to the coaching staff. Someone that can model & influence this young locker room.
The vibe to this presser was very different. Not sure if Tomlin feels like his time (or certain players') is coming to a close in Pittsburgh. Either way, it's clear he's admitting that changes need to be made. And that is more or less in reference to the coaching & operation of the team. I've never seen him be this upfront & open about change.

I'll believe it when I see it. But it's refreshing to hear him open up and be honest with himself about changing things up & not just the usual "retool & refocus" type of talk.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news... Cam is not going to retire. However its clear his contract needs restructuring. They could eat the cap hit, but if they want to be aggressive in FA they will need to soften the blow. He already went on record dismissing the talk of paycuts; so that's not going to happen.

It's interesting to hear Cam say he was essentially playing on 1 leg this year. Does that mean we will get more out of a healthy Cam? I would never doubt the guy, and I think he's a critical piece to the locker room. Willing to give it another go regardless of the contract situation.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers need to see what’s available and look into signing a free agent QB, not sure who’s out there, but can’t roll into training camp with KP & MR….if they do, winning is certainly not a priority….

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CAP DISCUSSION

As it stands today, the Steelers are $15m OVER the cap for next year. So they will have some work to do to be cap compliant before March.

Cutting Allen Robinson will take the majority of that burden away. That's a quick $10m in cap space savings. Also, Chuks Okorafor is slated to have a cap hit of $8.75m and is likely a backup OT at this point. He either gets restructured or cut.

Other cut/restructure candidates:
Patrick Peterson - $6.8m cap hit
Larry Ogunjobi - $6.2m cap hit
Mason Cole - $4.75m cap hit
Mitch Trubisky - $2.9m cap hit

Highest Cap Hits in 2024:
TJ Watt - $30.4m
Cam Heyward - $22.4m
Minkah Fitzpatrick - $21.3m
Diontae Johnson - $15.8m
Alex Highsmith - $13.9m

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally have some time to discuss things.

• The team plans to hire outside of the organization for the OC position. They are not considering Faulkner & Sullivan for the position. He admits they need a change in philosophy for this offense to be successful.
  • Kenny Pickett is still in the QB1 plans, but its his job to lose. "There will be competition". Will be interesting to see what Mason does in FA. The hope is they resign him.
  • Talked about bringing in legacy player to the coaching staff. Someone that can model & influence this young locker room.
The vibe to this presser was very different. Not sure if Tomlin feels like his time (or certain players') is coming to a close in Pittsburgh. Either way, it's clear he's admitting that changes need to be made. And that is more or less in reference to the coaching & operation of the team. I've never seen him be this upfront & open about change.

I'll believe it when I see it. But it's refreshing to hear him open up and be honest with himself about changing things up & not just the usual "retool & refocus" type of talk.
They should look outside. Id love kellen moore here. Think Tomlin's used to success and this year was not it and he knows it. Probably bruised his ego.
In other news... Cam is not going to retire. However its clear his contract needs restructuring. They could eat the cap hit, but if they want to be aggressive in FA they will need to soften the blow. He already went on record dismissing the talk of paycuts; so that's not going to happen.

It's interesting to hear Cam say he was essentially playing on 1 leg this year. Does that mean we will get more out of a healthy Cam? I would never doubt the guy, and I think he's a critical piece to the locker room. Willing to give it another go regardless of the contract situation.

and on that 4th down play, CAM is the guy who got through. Crazy. BUt they still need a replacement plan.
The Steelers need to see what’s available and look into signing a free agent QB, not sure who’s out there, but can’t roll into training camp with KP & MR….if they do, winning is certainly not a priority….
Im gonna hear it for this. Justin Fields. Bring him in. Kingsbury is interviewing for the bears OC. THey are drafting Caleb williams. FIelds is going to be available.
CAP DISCUSSION

As it stands today, the Steelers are $15m OVER the cap for next year. So they will have some work to do to be cap compliant before March.

Cutting Allen Robinson will take the majority of that burden away. That's a quick $10m in cap space savings. Also, Chuks Okorafor is slated to have a cap hit of $8.75m and is likely a backup OT at this point. He either gets restructured or cut.

Other cut/restructure candidates:
Patrick Peterson - $6.8m cap hit
Larry Ogunjobi - $6.2m cap hit
Mason Cole - $4.75m cap hit
Mitch Trubisky - $2.9m cap hit

Highest Cap Hits in 2024:
TJ Watt - $30.4m
Cam Heyward - $22.4m
Minkah Fitzpatrick - $21.3m
Diontae Johnson - $15.8m
Alex Highsmith - $13.9m
yuck

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was definitely a different tone to this one. That's what led me to ask if he was actually capable of change lol.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this in the story:

Non-Rudolph free agent options that could push Pickett will be available. While Kirk Cousins and Baker Mayfield may not be viable candidates here, as both will be starter candidates to stay with their current clubs, a number of bridge or high-end backup arms will be available. This includes Ryan Tannehill, Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold, Jacoby Brissett, Jameis Winston and others. Both Russell Wilson and Jimmy Garoppolo loom as cut candidates, with the former a near-certainty to be released.

Not one of them (not including Cousins/Mayfield in the conversation), at this point, are an upgrade over Rudolph/Trubisky. The only exception in my mind would be Wilson if he becomes available, but I don't see him going anywhere to be a backup.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a couple years since he was an option... But curious if anyone is still high on Jameis Winston?

Hell no to Sam Darnold & Jimmy G. Hard pass on those 2.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is much better option than Trubisky.

Not sure I would trust him to start a whole season.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ummm if it was a team like the Panthers or Bears who have top 10 picks then maybe.

If it was the Chiefs probably not.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston is much better option than Trubisky.

Not sure I would trust him to start a whole season.
I am willing to disagree here and state adamantly hes better than turdburger. While I was big on Jameis, truly was. I really soured when the saints brought in freakin derek carr over him. That spoke to me.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this in the story:

Not one of them (not including Cousins/Mayfield in the conversation), at this point, are an upgrade over Rudolph/Trubisky. The only exception in my mind would be Wilson if he becomes available, but I don't see him going anywhere to be a backup.
Mayfield is. Hell. Id take mayfield.

Disclosure. Ive always been on team Baker. Pre draft even.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down with the McVay tree.

What's everyone's thoughts on Alex Van Pelt, formerly of the Browns? He seems to have a good balanced offense.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm down with the McVay tree.

What's everyone's thoughts on Alex Van Pelt, formerly of the Browns? He seems to have a good balanced offense.
The knock on him is that it wasn't really his offense, he just held Stefanski's clipboard.

I don't know if that's true or not though.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thequint%2F2021-08%2Fadcdc6fe-9513-4663-b7d5-ade6c543b4d4%2FUntitled_design__50_.png