• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft & FA

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange.. doesn’t really fit the mold but ok.

2020 Offseason Questions: Will Tyson Alualu Move Inside To Nose Tackle? - Steelers Depot

Seems like there is no plan other than throw some bodies at it and see who sticks.

That said...it's a 2 down position, I won't get my shorts all bunched over it yet, but in a DIV with Chubb, Mixon and now Dobbins...whatever they come up with better work.

That had an entire offseason to figure this out.

Right now...I know what I would do against the Steelers D to see if they can hold up.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 Offseason Questions: Will Tyson Alualu Move Inside To Nose Tackle? - Steelers Depot

Seems like there is no plan other than throw some bodies at it and see who sticks.

That said...it's a 2 down position, I won't get my shorts all bunched over it yet, but in a DIV with Chubb, Mixon and now Dobbins...whatever they come up with better work.

That had an entire offseason to figure this out.

Right now...I know what I would do against the Steelers D to see if they can hold up.
With Tuitt coming back to this unit... Skies the limit for whoever sits inside. I pray that both Tuitt & Heyward can stay healthy for a full season. Seems like we only get 1 without the other. But I'm also thinking that we see a considerable step forward for Bush. His impact at the 2nd level should alleviate some of the run defense woes.

Tomlin went on record sayin the NT position will be looked at with a less conventional approach. As you said, that's gotta mean that they don't have a go-to guy anymore so they'll throw as many bodies at it as they see fit. I'm sure we'll see some sort of rotation inside with Alualu, McCullers & Wormley. At least early in the season. If 1 of those 3 plays more effectively than the others then they will see increased snaps. They have a stout 4 in Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu & Wormley. In that situation I'd rather see Wormley at DE and move Heyward inside. We know that Heyward has the push to withstand double teams inside.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin went on record sayin the NT position will be looked at with a less conventional approach. As you said, that's gotta mean that they don't have a go-to guy anymore so they'll throw as many bodies at it as they see fit. I'm sure we'll see some sort of rotation inside with Alualu, McCullers & Wormley. At least early in the season. If 1 of those 3 plays more effectively than the others then they will see increased snaps. They have a stout 4 in Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu & Wormley. In that situation I'd rather see Wormley at DE and move Heyward inside. We know that Heyward has the push to withstand double teams inside.

As I've understood it the last several years (maybe even with LaBeau)...the DL scheme changed from 2 gap control to one gap and gave the DL more pass rush ops...So even though the NT will still often get dbl teamed, they are only responsible for one gap in the scheme. Maybe that's why they're considering non-NTs for the job.

I keep going back to the 6 DIV games...normally you build your team to compete in DIV. BAL got trucked in their one and done run in the playoffs...Chubb lit'em up in week 4...Mixon went over 100 in the 1st match up, plus SF ran it on them as well.

So...what did they do? FA, DL, drafted 2 LBs and a DL.

PIT...I thought they would go after that position much earlier than they did...even when they did pick one, they didn't get a traditional NT body type (there were some on the board) ...they got a guy that on paper looks to be better suited for a DE. The fact they are looking at in house DE types to give them some snaps...they don't really think it's a big deal...I would like to see them go get a vet guy that's played in the middle of a 34...mentioned Sly Williams in an earlier post.

Moving Cap inside...I think he would do it for the team, but does Worm have 8-9 sack potential? Maybe you meant on 1st/2nd down Heyward inside and Wormley at DE? I can see that.

Another topic kinda...UG3. Some people are getting back on the bandwagon with this guy and feel he's going to be the starter at some point in the season...if he's anywhere as good...I think VWil becomes a 2 down player...if he's stout against the run...UG3 might be the outright starter by the end of the yr.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the situations for the NFL's 2020 rookie running backs | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Interesting insight as to the rookie RB situations. Just a quote from the article regarding Anthony McFarland Jr.:

"The issue will be touches, as the Steelers were the pass-heaviest team in the NFL the last time Ben Roethlisberger was healthy in 2018. Not only that, but backup Jaylen Samuels commanded all of 14 carries when James Conner was healthy."

With us having Conner, Samuels, Watt and Snell, where does McFarland actually fit in? Samuels shined last year, not only in the running game but also as a pass catching back. Samuels was targeted 57 times and had 47 receptions. Snell wasn't very prominent at all in the passing game but was 2nd in carries, yards and rushing TDs on the team. I mean shit, Kerrith Whyte had the highest YPC on the team and he might not even make the team this year. I'm still struggling to understand the logic behind drafting another RB as the amount of carries are going to be very limited due to a potentially healthy Conner and Samuels, not to mention the acquisition of Derek Watt.

In your opinion, where exactly does McFarland fit in? Assuming the inevitable with Whyte not making the team, do we run with 4 RBs and a FB? Does Snell fall to the PS and we roll with Conner, Samuels and McFarland?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the situations for the NFL's 2020 rookie running backs | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Interesting insight as to the rookie RB situations. Just a quote from the article regarding Anthony McFarland Jr.:

"The issue will be touches, as the Steelers were the pass-heaviest team in the NFL the last time Ben Roethlisberger was healthy in 2018. Not only that, but backup Jaylen Samuels commanded all of 14 carries when James Conner was healthy."

With us having Conner, Samuels, Watt and Snell, where does McFarland actually fit in? Samuels shined last year, not only in the running game but also as a pass catching back. Samuels was targeted 57 times and had 47 receptions. Snell wasn't very prominent at all in the passing game but was 2nd in carries, yards and rushing TDs on the team. I mean shit, Kerrith Whyte had the highest YPC on the team and he might not even make the team this year. I'm still struggling to understand the logic behind drafting another RB as the amount of carries are going to be very limited due to a potentially healthy Conner and Samuels, not to mention the acquisition of Derek Watt.

In your opinion, where exactly does McFarland fit in? Assuming the inevitable with Whyte not making the team, do we run with 4 RBs and a FB? Does Snell fall to the PS and we roll with Conner, Samuels and McFarland?

I'll answer the question but first I want to poke at the article a little bit.

'18...the Ben passed 675 times over 16 games...that's an average of 42 passes a game. I don't expect to see a game plan rolled out like that coming off elbow surgery.

McFarland...I see him as a 10-12 carry...4-5 target player as a rookie...depending on the team they play that week.

We're assuming Whyte is the odd man out...while that might end up being the case, but I'm not ready to say that...they could keep two big backs and two smaller backs. Samuels or Snell...I'd keep Samuels. Snell doesn't bring anything not already in the room.

Watt...there is some potential for him to be used more in the passing game than Nix was, but I don't think he's going to be taking many handoffs.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll answer the question but first I want to poke at the article a little bit.

'18...the Ben passed 675 times over 16 games...that's an average of 42 passes a game. I don't expect to see a game plan rolled out like that coming off elbow surgery.

McFarland...I see him as a 10-12 carry...4-5 target player as a rookie...depending on the team they play that week.

We're assuming Whyte is the odd man out...while that might end up being the case, but I'm not ready to say that...they could keep two big backs and two smaller backs. Samuels or Snell...I'd keep Samuels. Snell doesn't bring anything not already in the room.

Watt...there is some potential for him to be used more in the passing game than Nix was, but I don't think he's going to be taking many handoffs.

I agree, I don't see Ben averaging 42 passes a game this year. Especially at first. It's gonna take some time for him to get back into the groove of things.

The only reason that I am assuming that Whyte is the odd man out is due to him seeming to be the "easy" option in terms of being given the boot. Conner and McFarland are locks, I think that's a give in. Samuel should be a lock as well, in my opinion, leaving Snell and Whyte for the last spot and I personally can't justify Whyte over Snell due to Snell's performance in the games that he did play in. 301 of his 426 yards were after contact, 1 fumble in 106 touches and he can be the returner if Switzer goes down again. I just feel like Snell is the better choice over Whyte, but with that said, Whyte has earned a spot on the roster with his 5.1 YPC in 6 games, which led the team. Whyte knows the playbook and the offense so he's a natural choice for me. Just really don't like the decision to draft a RB with such a crowded party of RBs already.

I agree with Watt being more so used in the passing game than anything. But I do believe that the FB position is something that's way underutilized in today's game and we could surprise or catch some defenses off guard with some FB handoff plays. But yeah, I can't wait to see...Watt (see what I did there hehe)...he does for our offense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I don't see Ben averaging 42 passes a game this year. Especially at first. It's gonna take some time for him to get back into the groove of things.

The only reason that I am assuming that Whyte is the odd man out is due to him seeming to be the "easy" option in terms of being given the boot. Conner and McFarland are locks, I think that's a give in. Samuel should be a lock as well, in my opinion, leaving Snell and Whyte for the last spot and I personally can't justify Whyte over Snell ...

I'm assuming that same thing. I just don't know if that's 100% at this point.

Whyte is the easiest to part with based on how he was acquired...and I also think Samuel should stick largely because you have to respect the run and pass when he's in there. Snell has some games with good production and they do have a pick invested in him.

I understand it wasn't a big need this season, but I'm okay with McFarland being added.

I think a lot of fans came away from this draft feeling some kinda way...I know you felt another WR would be better served in lieu of RB...for me...not so much in lieu the RB position, but I felt NT should be a higher priority than S but it didn't go that way.

A lot to be encouraged by coming off last season regardless of how we saw one or two picks of the draft go.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for certain, but yeah...if he's what they think he is...can see him getting something in that range.
Just wonder about Conner smell and samuels....

Whose getting what? And is Conner not gonna be the bell cow then?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wonder about Conner smell and samuels....

Whose getting what? And is Conner not gonna be the bell cow then?

My guess is Conner will get the lionshare of touches, but I don't see him in the 20+ range, not every game for sure...Samuels maybe 3-4...I don't expect as much from Snell.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Conner will get the lionshare of touches, but I don't see him in the 20+ range, not every game for sure...Samuels maybe 3-4...I don't expect as much from Snell.
Yeah but if conners not in the 2
Range what he's down in the same territory as McFarland? Or 15-20 range

so I think 15-20 from Conner is realistic....

if we take 10-15 from McFarland....

3-4 samuels
3-4snell

that would be 31-43 rb touches a game it's not unreasonable. I think
They would love if they could do that.

fwiw I think samuels should be up on the chopping block. No teams respect him as a runner, and he rarely runs, when he does he's generally not effective. Bulk him up a bit and Move him to TE and give yourself another dynamic passing option.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but if conners not in the 2
Range what he's down in the same territory as McFarland? Or 15-20 range

so I think 15-20 from Conner is realistic....

if we take 10-15 from McFarland....

3-4 samuels
3-4snell

that would be 31-43 rb touches a game it's not unreasonable. I think
They would love if they could do that.

fwiw I think samuels should be up on the chopping block. No teams respect him as a runner, and he rarely runs, when he does he's generally not effective. Bulk him up a bit and Move him to TE and give yourself another dynamic passing option.

I think it will be game to game, with Conner still being the lead RB, but you don't draft McFarland in the position that you did unless you feel he brings something to the RB room that improves what you have.

What does that mean to the rest of the RBs? At this point nothing because McFarland will have to show it on the field, but assuming he does...he's probably getting more touches than any RB not named Conner.

I have a feeling if Conner plays the majority of this season injury free, the Steelers will re up with a moderate contract extension.

Terry is right about this one...the most logical guy to go is Whyte because the Steelers have the least invested into him, but he was one of the more effective players.

That does leave you with Snell, a pure RB, and Samuels, a hybrid player....boy, I tell you, tough call. If McFarland is deemed to be a guy that can run inbetween the tackles a little bit...Snell might be in some trouble making it, but as a runner he's better than Samuels.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you guys think Samuels beats out Snell for RB2?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you guys think Samuels beats out Snell for RB2?

Spitballing Face...I'm just guessing.

As it stands right now...Snell is the most like Conner in terms of size, etc. If Conner goes down again, I think it would be Snell taking over as the "big" back not Samuels.

But when we throw a 4th rd pick into the picture adding a 5th guy to the position group...is it as easy as saying McFarland is most like Whyte so Whyte is out? If so, Samuels is safe.

Samuels versatility in the passing game is a plus out of the backfield, to me that's his only real skillset advantage over Snell. But, is he a matchup problem for a LB the same way the Whyte or McFarland would be?

So it kinda boils down to...do they keep 3 "big" backs? If so...Snell & Samuels stick...if they decide to keep 2 change of pace RBs...if they don't feel McFarland can give them much between the tackles...I would keep Snell...if they do feel McFarland can get you the tough yards...Snell seems less attractive.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spitballing Face...I'm just guessing.

As it stands right now...Snell is the most like Conner in terms of size, etc. If Conner goes down again, I think it would be Snell taking over as the "big" back not Samuels.

But when we throw a 4th rd pick into the picture adding a 5th guy to the position group...is it as easy as saying McFarland is most like Whyte so Whyte is out? If so, Samuels is safe.

Samuels versatility in the passing game is a plus out of the backfield, to me that's his only real skillset advantage over Snell. But, is he a matchup problem for a LB the same way the Whyte or McFarland would be?

So it kinda boils down to...do they keep 3 "big" backs? If so...Snell & Samuels stick...if they decide to keep 2 change of pace RBs...if they don't feel McFarland can give them much between the tackles...I would keep Snell...if they do feel McFarland can get you the tough yards...Snell seems less attractive.
Agreed. Samuels is on the bubble right now. He certainly has a skillset that Fichtner & Ben likes, but I think Snell is here to stay. So it boils down to Samuels vs Whyte for RB4. With Samuel's position versatility I think that makes him an easier choice for the coaches.

I haven't heard anything about Claypool being considered anything other than a WR. But maybe they view him as TE-versatile. Which puts Samuels more at risk.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FaCe-LeE-uS.... the more I see on tape, the more I like the your guy Highsmith.

Technique wise, he's ahead of Dupree by a mile and then some coming in...but physically...he's not the athlete that Bud was as a rookie.

That will be the questions Highsmith has to answer...can he beat NFL talent?

2020 Stock Watch - OLB Alex Highsmith - Stock Up - Steelers Depot

I still stand by this post: 2020 Draft & FA

He's a great pass rusher IF he's going after the QB. I like to call him a downhill pass-rusher lol. If you put him in edge-containment mode, or whatever you call it when his job is to just hold the edge and spy the backfield, then he needs a lot of work. Most of it is processing skills. His lateral agility is sorta sluggish, but if he has his hips turned to an angle his burst is great. Problem is he always appears a step behind in those situations because he doesn't read & react in time. Which is something Dupree was able to make up for with pure athleticism.

Most of those problems don't show up until he goes up against bigger schools. The ClemsonVCharlotte game from 2019 was a good one to watch his film from. It'll show you everything that I'm talking about. Also think he needs work on his bend & upper strength.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still stand by this post: 2020 Draft & FA

He's a great pass rusher IF he's going after the QB. I like to call him a downhill pass-rusher lol. If you put him in edge-containment mode, or whatever you call it when his job is to just hold the edge and spy the backfield, then he needs a lot of work. Most of it is processing skills. His lateral agility is sorta sluggish, but if he has his hips turned to an angle his burst is great. Problem is he always appears a step behind in those situations because he doesn't read & react in time. Which is something Dupree was able to make up for with pure athleticism.

Most of those problems don't show up until he goes up against bigger schools. The ClemsonVCharlotte game from 2019 was a good one to watch his film from. It'll show you everything that I'm talking about. Also think he needs work on his bend & upper strength.

I saw most of the video but will go back and look at the Clemson game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw most of the video but will go back and look at the Clemson game.
You'll notice by the 2nd half (possibly much sooner) that Charlotte goes into damage control mode, and they take Highsmith's hand outta the dirt a lot more and put him into read & react mode... Way out of his comfort zone, or at least not playing him to his strengths. In the early situations where he's rushing its very easy to see how good he is off the snap. His snap count instincts are superb and he has decent hand technique to slip by blockers. Decent bend. But as soon as he gets put into processing mode he gets swallowed up a lot, and/or struggles to diagnose quick enough to get to the ball carriers.