• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019/2020 OFF SEASON THREAD

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a best case scenario is a Zack Greinke type signing in the sense that if things go wrong, you can still move him. I just have a lot of concern going all in on a pitcher when we don't even know for certain if this will realistically be a contending team in 2021. It's not my money so I shouldn't care, but I don't want the team to be saddled with another contract that is hard to move if X pitcher suddenly loses his ability.

Maybe I'm just comparing every pitcher to Felix, but some guys just suddenly lose their stuff and pitchers are more prone to injuries than position players.

The issue is yes the goal is to compete in 2021 not 2020. But you cannot guarantee there will be a Cole or a Straburg available to sign next offseason. In fact I would bet against it. Those guys are rarely available because they get locked up.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue is yes the goal is to compete in 2021 not 2020. But you cannot guarantee there will be a Cole or a Straburg available to sign next offseason. In fact I would bet against it. Those guys are rarely available because they get locked up.

I would be interested in cole..
But im also not sure
If he would want to go to a team..
That is rebuilding.
That said..it seems....iffy

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer to the prob starts from within

The mariners are on the right track...so far
They need to stay on that track
I dont think signing a high profile
Free agent pitcher...at this time
Is on that track.

So signing talent over what we have is not on the the right track? It amazes me fans think that. I guess fans think the rookies will get them to a certain level then management will sign all the missing parts in one big hall. Baseball doesn't work that way.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It of course is a pipedream but with my fantasy they are more Soto, Acura Jr, Tatis and Vlad Jr than Mike Zunino

It's a stretch but if Julio and Rodriguez continue shooting through the minors, there's a slight possibility one or both could have an MLB taste by the end of 2020. Although that will require them playing at an incredibly high level combined with the Mariners having open spot(s) at OF at that time and a willingness to play such young guys.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure you can go the route of never taking a chance again but what will you ever have? I guess the answer is; The Mariners. Every player has an expiration date, but we have been in business for 43 years and they have developed 1 true Ace in the last 25 years in Felix. Maybe Randy since they got him before he developed into and All-Star but then traded before he became a Hall Of Famer.

And if M's use Cano as an example on why not to sign another big free agent, then they are bigger fools than even I think they are. Cano did not put them over any tax limit or budget limits. They got bigger attendances during his years when the team stunk and then they got their prized prospect along with a nice pitching prospect. So if you look at the Cano signing, Jack actually did the M's right on that move.

And putting budgetary limits on Billionaires in an industry they have never lost a penny in, well that is a fan thing for some reason. I guarantee you those billionaires aren't losing sleep that you have to pay $10 for a lousy beer.

The Mariners got incredibly lucky with the Cano situation. Even the New York media talked all year about how badly we fleeced the Mets. Cano, Pujols, Fielder etc. are the reason why now MLB teams seldom give 10 year contracts anymore and instead pay a higher salary per year. Hindsight being 20/20 you could argue it was the right move due to the return we received on Cano and Diaz, but you don't get that type of return for a closer and a 36 year old 2B under a $24m per year contract until he's 40.

Once the Mariners reach a point where they're contenders, I have no issue with supplementing the team through free agency. Right now I just don't think is the right time to go after big name free agents because it would just put us right back in the situation where we have a bunch of bloated contracts and are still 5+ games out of playoff contention.

I don't believe it's a "budgetary limit," but realistically speaking owners will only dedicate a certain amount of money to payroll. In an ideal world, every owner was a fan who didn't care how much they profit/lose off of a team but that just isn't reality. Unfortunately in the end most of them care more about how much money they make.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point. Don't really have much of a rebuttal there, especially given our pitching situation. I think my biggest concern is regarding regression due to age. Cole will be 31 in 2021 and Strasburg 33. For every pitcher who has defied age, there are probably 3 that don't.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So signing talent over what we have is not on the the right track? It amazes me fans think that. I guess fans think the rookies will get them to a certain level then management will sign all the missing parts in one big hall. Baseball doesn't work that way.

You are..usually right..about stuff..
.i may be..naive..on
Or just..am naive on

Bust..on myself..lol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. Don't really have much of a rebuttal there, especially given our pitching situation. I think my biggest concern is regarding regression due to age. Cole will be 31 in 2021 and Strasburg 33. For every pitcher who has defied age, there are probably 3 that don't.

All the things..i am thinking as well

On both posts

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple things are sure..

#1They need a RHP..or two..

#2 It should be a free agent
Or trade
( doggie door nix..lol)

Rather than rush a guy.from the minors

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed!
Honestly I would offer both Cole and berg huge contracts this offseason, you just gave yourself the chance to win more series during the season with these two at the 1 and 2 spots in the rotation

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next mariners
Commertial..jacob nix..leaving his ..
Baseball calling card.
In your...doggie door...lollolol

Yep
Jacob "doggie door " nix..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Later..if he gets good.
He can sell
Shampoo..
Or anything else
Through a doggie door....lolololol

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This fan doesnt.

I have never seen a "right track" here so I sure as hell am not gonna buy they are on it currently until they show me.

If you let opportunities continue to pass you buy, you will remain the same old mariners in my book

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea its just a chance I'd be willing to take at this point. When the Cubs signed Lester to his big deal, he was 31 as well and he was the pitcher they needed to kind of push them over the top. I think they also signed him a year before the WS IIRC. Granted the 2015 Cubs are far ahead of the 2020 Mariners so maybe not the best example but something I think you compare somewhat

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 to 4 years..is a more likely
Timline..for being competetive

I would sign free agents..that fit
In that window..up to 6 years.

If i thought they could do it that long...
Guys who are 30 or 32 may not be at the top of the list
For that reason...for now
And for this year...imo

If im a ballplayer..who is that old
My first choice.would be a competetive team..over a non competetive one...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so you’re saying you wouldn’t target them via FA cause of age?