• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019/2020 OFF SEASON THREAD

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every prediction site I have read have M's going after OF's which just blows me away. It doesn't make a lot of sense which means that is probably their path.

Didi was a guy I said to myself today I would love to take a chance on. Play him at 2B and backup SS.

Castellanos will be overpaid for his few months with the Cubs. I like him, but not where we need to spend money.

Ozuna has been good, bad, and good again. I have seen him throw in the past and he had a Johnny Damon arm. Maybe he was hurt in 2018, but I was shocked how bad his arm was.

Puig is a guy I can't figure out. Not sure if he is a hot head or just a competitive guy that fires his team up. I love his fire, but not sure if it is controllable.

Garcia is just another guy we have and not worth spending on for me.

Get two Aces!!!!!!

Pursuing outfielders, or even any big name free agent itself doesn't seem likely to me and is quite confusing. I rave about The Athletic so much you'd think they pay me to promote them which is why I was even more surprised by this.

I suppose maybe they figure the Mariners may move Haniger, Santana and Smith this offseason? Hard to say. Even if they did make those moves, I'd be surprised to see them pursue an outfielder unless it was someone who was just a placeholder while we wait for the younger guys to get ready.

I used to always say to add the best free agents and open up our wallets, but I've now become more hesitant after all of the free agents who end up just being a burden due to their salary relative to performance. I just fear if we spend big, we could end up in another Robinson Cano type situation if the "rebuild" doesn't work out.

Would've been nice if Segura wasn't a pain in the ass to deal with because I felt he could've been a nice component of a future team given his performance and relatively low salary.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, No, No. What the hell is the point of rebuilding if you chose to block all of your best fielding prospects. Pipedream is sign Cole and Rendon then let Kelenic and Rodriguez break camp as starters.

Doesn't make sense to me either. I disagree with having Kelenic and Rodriguez being rushed up that quickly, but hell I'd rather see them rush those guys up than blow a bunch of money on a position that is arguably the strongest group in the organization.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didi gregorius..that is interesting
Yankees did not..tender him

And no draft pick.
Compensation..

Yes interesting..
But he is a car..260..hitter..
And needs 500..at bats..to get 20..to..25 hrs..i think i would go with crawford

And didi..is 30 years old..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2020 draft..is loaded with pitchers..
Why try to get around it ..
Go with it..and pick..one of the best..#1

Espesully..with a #6th draft pick

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if didi..would be a sign and trade at deadline cadidate...

I would definately think about it.
Or any other player..
That could be traded..at the deadline....
To continue to add to the minors

X

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loads of mariners minor league guys
Coming up..when they stay up

Then..they are major leaguers

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to always say to add the best free agents and open up our wallets, but I've now become more hesitant after all of the free agents who end up just being a burden due to their salary relative to performance. I just fear if we spend big, we could end up in another Robinson Cano type situation if the "rebuild" doesn't work out.

I agree 100% when it comes to hitters, but the ability to draft or trade for a real ACE (Felix or Randy in their prime type Ace) is almost impossible unless you have the elite coaching that can resurrect a former Ace like Houston did with Verlander and Cole. Even in 2001, the lack of a true Ace showed in the playoffs even after a 116 win season. With an Ace, it will cost a fortune but that is the cost of business in this game. Believe me it will never happen I Seattle so I this whole rebuild BS is just that...BS.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% when it comes to hitters, but the ability to draft or trade for a real ACE (Felix or Randy in their prime type Ace) is almost impossible unless you have the elite coaching that can resurrect a former Ace like Houston did with Verlander and Cole. Even in 2001, the lack of a true Ace showed in the playoffs even after a 116 win season. With an Ace, it will cost a fortune but that is the cost of business in this game. Believe me it will never happen I Seattle so I this whole rebuild BS is just that...BS.

I think a best case scenario is a Zack Greinke type signing in the sense that if things go wrong, you can still move him. I just have a lot of concern going all in on a pitcher when we don't even know for certain if this will realistically be a contending team in 2021. It's not my money so I shouldn't care, but I don't want the team to be saddled with another contract that is hard to move if X pitcher suddenly loses his ability.

Maybe I'm just comparing every pitcher to Felix, but some guys just suddenly lose their stuff and pitchers are more prone to injuries than position players.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a best case scenario is a Zack Greinke type signing in the sense that if things go wrong, you can still move him. I just have a lot of concern going all in on a pitcher when we don't even know for certain if this will realistically be a contending team in 2021. It's not my money so I shouldn't care, but I don't want the team to be saddled with another contract that is hard to move if X pitcher suddenly loses his ability.

Maybe I'm just comparing every pitcher to Felix, but some guys just suddenly lose their stuff and pitchers are more prone to injuries than position players.

Sure you can go the route of never taking a chance again but what will you ever have? I guess the answer is; The Mariners. Every player has an expiration date, but we have been in business for 43 years and they have developed 1 true Ace in the last 25 years in Felix. Maybe Randy since they got him before he developed into and All-Star but then traded before he became a Hall Of Famer.

And if M's use Cano as an example on why not to sign another big free agent, then they are bigger fools than even I think they are. Cano did not put them over any tax limit or budget limits. They got bigger attendances during his years when the team stunk and then they got their prized prospect along with a nice pitching prospect. So if you look at the Cano signing, Jack actually did the M's right on that move.

And putting budgetary limits on Billionaires in an industry they have never lost a penny in, well that is a fan thing for some reason. I guarantee you those billionaires aren't losing sleep that you have to pay $10 for a lousy beer.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't make sense to me either. I disagree with having Kelenic and Rodriguez being rushed up that quickly, but hell I'd rather see them rush those guys up than blow a bunch of money on a position that is arguably the strongest group in the organization.

It of course is a pipedream but with my fantasy they are more Soto, Acura Jr, Tatis and Vlad Jr than Mike Zunino

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer to the prob starts from within

The mariners are on the right track...so far
They need to stay on that track
I dont think signing a high profile
Free agent pitcher...at this time
Is on that track.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If..you sign mediocre guys...
Then you give space for guys comming up..
And you may be able to trade them at the deadline..if.they are having a good year

Fits seattle...going forward..

And at least for the next couple years...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the houston..dead zone..
Where nothing ..seems..to be happining..but it is..at lower lvls

Now that..is the real..time line..

Useing..houston..and tampa bay
Minors as a..guidlines..for success..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also starting from within.
Gives the money..it takes

For free agents...

When the time..does come.

====overall health..of the organization

And power to stay in contention for longer when..they do get there

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential future rotation

Gilbert
Gonzales..lhp
Kerby
Williamson..lhp
We will have to see who else steps up
4 more would be good

It is..the pitching that has been the prob
And they know it...and have known it sense they traded paxton ..and cano

And even before that..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont usually agree..with fansides
But a malix smith...for cris archer trade..is interesting

With frayly..and kilinic..up and comming..
And i think smith would..
Play better on a national league team..and smaller ballpark

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But i dont expect them to do it

Standing..pat..in the outfield..is prob what they will do

Haniger...rf
Santana..rf/lf/dh
Smith..cf.....Lhhitter
Lewis...LF
Fraley...backup cf...Lhhitter

Bishop..at ..tacoma..
Is what i expect..we will see though....

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last but not least..
2020 draft..i expect..they will
Get a couple starters..at the top
Of the draft between 1 and 3 picks
Then go a lot of position players after that..with last year being
Mostly pitchers..