• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reggie comparison isn't an apples to apples comparison, it's only to highlight that there is precedent for a shooting guard with that particular skillset to thrive as a #1 option for a winning team. Conversely I think you could use Chris Webber as an indicator that with the right cast you could produce a winning team with a PF who didn't really play any defense as their #1 player. They obviously had different skill sets, with Webber being one of the best passing big men in history if not ever for his position. He was also a much better post scorer than Love, but Love is a much better 3 point shooter of course.

I think what most people are looking at is precedent, not so much plug and play for past comparisons. I think for plug and play, my Utah example was solid. I'm actually not sure which team in the NBA right now you could do a swap of Love for their teams and make them better as their #1. Maybe the Nets?
Excellent point with Webber. Shows Love's lack of D is overblown. Some might not remember, but Barkley and Karl Malone also considered defense to just be a rumor.

Utah was a good team to mention, but I don't think Klay could take over for Mitchell's spot as Mitchell also plays PG when needed. could Klay do that? I wont say no, but I don't think he could.

as for Love, agree with Nets maybe, but not sure the "rules" you are going by. Are you saying he has to be swapped for their best player and becomes their best player and they improve? so that means he is in for Russell? I guess they might improve as they'd still have Dmiwiddie as the PG.

How about Boston? seems they might play better without Kyrie anyway. They were pretty damn good in last year's playoffs with no Kyrie. I'd take my chances with Rozier, Smart, Tatum, Love and Horford.

I still think Love is better than Tatum, but that might not be the case much longer.

and to steal from Chevy Chase to Rusty......."good talk".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn you really are slow. I've already said I'm only talking about Klay & Love. You truly don't understand that even though I've said it multiple times now. It was you that brought AD up because it bothers you that I wouldn't take Love.
you said you'd take Klay over Love because you want the great shooter over the lesser shooting big guy. Your words.

If that isn't true anymore no worries. Better people than you have come to realize their logic was off base.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller again really doesn't have anything to do with the matter in general. As in my post just above this one, I mentioned it's only to show precedent of a SG with Klay's skill set having success as a #1. It's not a swap situation, just to show that it has been done in past.

@Wamu
I thought you were fine mentioning Miller in the discussion. Only said that with wamu's "rules" you should stick to only mentioning love and Klay.....which I hope you know would be silly.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean just watching Klay play he just seems like he is like the ultimate A++ 3 and D role player

all those Finals I was never nearly as scared of Klay as I was of Curry or later on Durant, or even Draymond.

Klay just make sure you glue someone to him. Hes not gonna take you off the dribble. Hes not gonna finish like a Kyrie or Curry at the basket and just dazzle you. Hes not gonna pull up and drain mid range on you lethally like Durant.

Hes a great player, dont get me wrong, and if the Cavs had him on their team he would have been amazing next to LeBron, but I just dont see him as the focal point of an offense how he would create his own shot.

Maybe he would turn into like a Rich Hamilton with 3 pt range on a lesser team where he is just constantly running off screens etc.....but that does take a lot out of a guy and makes it so he cnat work as hard on defense.
Agree with all of this.....I think adding Klay to the Cavs Big 3 might have had the same effect of adding Durant to GS. another shooter who could also play D would have been lethal for them.

He scared me far more than Green, though. It's true, there were a few games where he didn't have it but if he's on that's a problem. Tough to stay as close to him when you need to worry about Durant and Curry.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn you really are slow. I've already said I'm only talking about Klay & Love. You truly don't understand that even though I've said it multiple times now. It was you that brought AD up because it bothers you that I wouldn't take Love.

your exact words - "Give me the 3 point shooter instead of a low post player w/ range. In todays game I want the better outside shooter."

Once again, with this "logic' that means you want Klay over AD (and Embid, as well).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep saying Klay can't be a number 1 option.

I think that is short sighted.

Reggie Miller was a #1 option on some really good teams. Klay has a very similar offensive game, but he is a better defender for sure, and might be a better offensive player too.

No, you aren't going to expect to ISO Klay and play off him, but I have no doubt he is capable of scoring 25 PPG, maybe even a bit more as a team's best player in the right system. Now, in the wrong system that lacks ball movement or adequate spacing, Klay as a number 1 would be an unmitigated disaster.

But I absolutely believe a smart coach and smart front office could build a good, not great team around Klay Thompson.

It has nothing to do with scoring, he really just isn't a leader imo. I think he could possibly be #1 but Love was on some really bad teams (he had nothing around him). Klay wouldn't have done any better on those teams imo. And I do agree if you have good coaching and FO it helps but Klay has flourished in this system...imagine him in a situation where the coaching sucks and they have minimal ball movement, he would be having to drive and create his own shot A LOT. It all depends on the situation and really no point in knowing until it happens one day...which it probably won't.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when you say you prefer the stud shooter over the big guy who is a lesser shooter that's a generic statement. If that's the case, it means you take Klay over AD.

So do you prefer the shooter or the big guy who can shoot but isn't as good? If you want to change your mind, feel free. If not, this means you take Klay over AD. Your choice.

sometimes topics go in different directions and other players will be brought up. Sushi mentioned Reggie Miller in his discussion and it's on point. Seems you should be telling him Miller has nothing to do with the matter.
But your logic fails because AD is waaaaaaaay better than Love so saying you prefer Klay to Love has nothing to do with preferring Klay to AD.

You're dancing like a madman and it's not working

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with scoring, he really just isn't a leader imo. I think he could possibly be #1 but Love was on some really bad teams (he had nothing around him). Klay wouldn't have done any better on those teams imo. And I do agree if you have good coaching and FO it helps but Klay has flourished in this system...imagine him in a situation where the coaching sucks and they have minimal ball movement, he would be having to drive and create his own shot A LOT. It all depends on the situation and really no point in knowing until it happens one day...which it probably won't.
First thought was not sure about leadership. Maybe he could be a leader. However, thinking back to 2016 some things stuck out that would concern me about leadership ability. Pretty sure he was with Green in calling out Lebron after Game 4 as a bitch. That didn't go so well and he should have known better.

Then, after the game, it seemed like he was the only one who couldn't stick around and give the Cavs' players their due.

As for Love? Sure, he can be a #1 but not sure he can be a true leader as to me he comes across as too quiet. At best he could lead by example not with words.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your exact words - "Give me the 3 point shooter instead of a low post player w/ range. In todays game I want the better outside shooter."

Once again, with this "logic' that means you want Klay over AD (and Embid, as well).
You're arguing in bad faith now and you know it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your logic fails because AD is waaaaaaaay better than Love so saying you prefer Klay to Love has nothing to do with preferring Klay to AD.

You're dancing like a madman and it's not working
Except this was his comment - "Give me the 3 point shooter instead of a low post player w/ range. In todays game I want the better outside shooter."

And by that "logic" he'd take Klay over AD and Embid

Dance, spin, deflect, distort ya cannot get around it......and since you didn't say it not sure why you tried to.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're arguing in bad faith now and you know it.
It's a generic statement to try and explain why he'd take Klay over Love. He clearly didn't think it through as that "logic" makes no sense.

He messed up and probably knows it. Not sure why you are trying to defend the indefensible.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except this was his comment - "Give me the 3 point shooter instead of a low post player w/ range. In todays game I want the better outside shooter."

And by that "logic" he'd take Klay over AD and Embid

Dance, spin, deflect, distort ya cannot get around it......and since you didn't say it not sure why you tried to.
If you are a lawyer, and you come across as one, you argue like this. You keep repeating a gotcha knowing full well he meant if you are comparing two players of roughly the same level, he prefers the shooter. He did not mean to imply that he prefers Klay to AD, Embiid, Shaq, Wilt, and Kareem. And you know it.

You know what he meant, and you are now arguing in bad faith. This isn't a courtroom, it's people having fun yakking about sports. But if someone is going to be an asshole about it, then thats how they will be treated. You're being an asshole.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are a lawyer, and you come across as one, you argue like this. You keep repeating a gotcha knowing full well he meant if you are comparing two players of roughly the same level, he prefers the shooter. He did not mean to imply that he prefers Klay to AD, Embiid, Shaq, Wilt, and Kareem. And you know it.

You know what he meant, and you are now arguing in bad faith. This isn't a courtroom, it's people having fun yakking about sports. But if someone is going to be an asshole about it, then thats how they will be treated. You're being an asshole.
considering the type of comments I've dealt with this could not be any funnier. Never went into a Yosemite Sam-like namecalling tirade over them. No, I didn't know that's what he meant. why? Because it's not what he said, and it's not obvious what he meant.

I get you are part of the Never Admit You are wrong Club of SportsHoopla, but many here have said Klay is better than Love and it's not even close, so why would I (or you) assume he meant IF they were close.

He messed up. And for whatever reason, you think he can't take care of himself.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 outta 10 times- Klay over Love. Start a thread on the topic since you're seemingly the only 1 that would take Love over Klay.

Yeah...he really thinks it's close @msgkings322

Ya gotta love this forum.

Will it be lying you'll follow with? ignore? Deflection? I'm going with deflection and maybe another Yosemite sam-like namecalling meltdown.

And, yes, this is fun.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...he really thinks it's close @msgkings322

Ya gotta love this forum.

Will it be lying you'll follow with? ignore? Deflection? I'm going with deflection and maybe another Yosemite sam-like namecalling meltdown.

And, yes, this is fun.
I'm gonna shower you with love. Your posts say worse about you than I ever could.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna shower you with love. Your posts say worse about you than I ever could.
Nailed it.....deflection.

what you meant to say was "my bad, dt. Clearly I was wrong and he does not think Klay and Love are close in talent level."

I got your back.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it.....deflection.

what you meant to say was "my bad, dt. Clearly I was wrong and he does not think Klay and Love are close in talent level."

I got your back.
You just keep making that bed, I'm comfortable with our respective positions.