• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo understands trade talk, but Rangers don’t have another hitter quite like him

(Reminder: Ownership can afford Yu Darvish, Jake Arrieta, Zack Greinke or Alex Cobb without dumping any player’s contract.)

The Rangers were linked to Greinke at the winter meetings, and sources said that Arizona would have to take Choo’s contract to make the acquisition of Greinke’s mega deal easier to stomach.

Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, Lance Lynn and Andrew Casher remain unsigned.

The owners, meanwhile, have left general manager Jon Daniels to explain that the Rangers have no money to spend. These are the same owners who agreed to offer Choo $130 million spread over seven seasons to get on base and score runs.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami Marlins are now entertaining trade offers for outfielder Christian Yelich and catcher J.T. Realmuto, according to multiple reports.

MLB Network first reported that the Marlins are discussing both players with multiple teams, adding that Miami's asking price is high and no trades are imminent.

Earlier this month, indications were that Miami intended to hold on to both players, even as sources told ESPN that Yelich was "unhappy" after the team's new ownership group, including Derek Jeter, traded away Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordonand Marcell Ozuna in a quest to cut payroll.

A source told ESPN earlier this month that Realmuto's representatives informed the team that he also wants to play elsewhere in 2018. But with only three years of service time, Realmuto doesn't have the ability to demand a trade.

Yelich, who has four years and $44.5 million left on his contract, is in a similar situation.

The Marlins are looking for an Opening Day payroll of $90 million, with the Miami Herald reporting that the team's current payroll projects to about $94 million. One source told the Herald that the team is listening more closely on deals for Yelich and is considering offers more seriously than it had been.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Miami Marlins are now entertaining trade offers for outfielder Christian Yelich and catcher J.T. Realmuto, according to multiple reports.

MLB Network first reported that the Marlins are discussing both players with multiple teams, adding that Miami's asking price is high and no trades are imminent.

Earlier this month, indications were that Miami intended to hold on to both players, even as sources told ESPN that Yelich was "unhappy" after the team's new ownership group, including Derek Jeter, traded away Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordonand Marcell Ozuna in a quest to cut payroll.

A source told ESPN earlier this month that Realmuto's representatives informed the team that he also wants to play elsewhere in 2018. But with only three years of service time, Realmuto doesn't have the ability to demand a trade.

Yelich, who has four years and $44.5 million left on his contract, is in a similar situation.

The Marlins are looking for an Opening Day payroll of $90 million, with the Miami Herald reporting that the team's current payroll projects to about $94 million. One source told the Herald that the team is listening more closely on deals for Yelich and is considering offers more seriously than it had been.
according to everything i'm reading the Rangers owners have slammed shut the vault door so i doubt that JD makes anymore moves that add any large amounts to our payroll. both Yelich and Realmuto would add needs to the Rangers but would add 7M and at least 4+M at a time that the owners don't want to add

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
according to everything i'm reading the Rangers owners have slammed shut the vault door so i doubt that JD makes anymore moves that add any large amounts to our payroll. both Yelich and Realmuto would add needs to the Rangers but would add 7M and at least 4+M at a time that the owners don't want to add

I hope that's the case as far as the farm system goes. But never ever assume that JD will zig, because he could very well zag.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that's the case as far as the farm system goes. But never ever assume that JD will zig, because he could very well zag.

Definitely agree despite obvious restraints from ownership. JD is the master of deception. Still hoping Rangers have one more move left.

But yes most media say we are done. Me, I am not sold on their sell job

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great article comparing Astros and Ranger history

Also think the Mike Minor move may be bigger than some think.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One thing though on these two. They will cost prospects which are unlikely to be moved at this point. We really don't have the depth

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Davis off the table. 3/52 from the Rockies. Highest AAV ever for a RP.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heard on the radio that they thought we wouldn't make any moves in 2 areas i think are very weak: first, they thought that the starting pitching and bullpen were set and second, that the outfield was also set. i personally consider the starting pitching and bullpen we have now to be as weak as last season's starting staff and bullpen and don't expect any improvement over last season's record matter of fact i expect we could lose an additional 3 to 7 games. also they see the outfield se with Calhoun in left, DeShields in center and Mazara in right. defensively that is not a good combo and your backups are Robinson, Rua and Profar which are setdowns from the first 3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Davis off the table. 3/52 from the Rockies. Highest AAV ever for a RP.
that is crazy money but their owners want a high level competitive team no matter what the cost. part of me wishes the Rangers owners felt that way

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing though on these two. They will cost prospects which are unlikely to be moved at this point. We really don't have the depth
of course they would but both are controllable for years and who do we have that will be ready in those years their contracts cover. and what guarantee do we have that any prospect in our top 30 will become anything but an average player or pitcher. every one of them has a huge question mark next to their name while Yelich and Realmuto have a proven star next to their names

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every one of them has a huge question mark next to their name while Yelich and Realmuto have a proven star next to their names

While I like them, Marlins are looking for the future and I am not ready to go all in without another ace. I want to compete without draining the farm. So huge question mark looks like an overstate IMO

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would like a CF and move DeShields to LF. Ultimately love to move Choo although he can play but he is blocking Calhoun. I am ok with either Gomez or Dyson to bridge when Tavares comes up

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would like a CF and move DeShields to LF. Ultimately love to move Choo although he can play but he is blocking Calhoun. I am ok with either Gomez or Dyson to bridge when Tavares comes up
DeShields is scary to me. as a an outfielder he is, to me, a liability because his rubber throwing arm which encourages baserunners to challenge his ability to make the throws. plus i remember how good he was the year we grabbed him and the next year he couldn't even stay on the roster

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they didn't spend 3/52 on a RP.
i don't want that either but i would like to see the willingness to spend on quality starting pitching and outfield but that seems improbable. a million here, a couple of million there for players who would be bench players on other teams or they spend 10+M on some player on a one year contract knowing the next year they'll have to fill that spot with someone else. sound business practices say you fill postions looking at the future but the Rangers never seem to look beyond the present season

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes a CF would be great. Rangers just might wait this out and pick up a guy on the backside off offseason.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers are going to add a CF I would trade both Choo and DeShields. Of course, if they aren't going to spend on pitching then I guess we don't have to save anything on Choo's contract. If we could sign both Yu and Cobb I would part with any veteran contract that we have to to afford them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers are going to add a CF I would trade both Choo and DeShields. Of course, if they aren't going to spend on pitching then I guess we don't have to save anything on Choo's contract. If we could sign both Yu and Cobb I would part with any veteran contract that we have to to afford them.
if we got rid of veterans then why would we sign Darvish and Cobb? of course i would gladly give Choo and Cash but who would take him? DeShields i would move to LF if we sign or trade for a CF

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we got rid of veterans then why would we sign Darvish and Cobb? of course i would gladly give Choo and Cash but who would take him? DeShields i would move to LF if we sign or trade for a CF
Which veteran would you not trade for Yu and Cobb?