• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok sorry Bennie. I know you wanted Abreu over over the Prince trade and did not like the prospect haul in the Hamels trade. I hated losing our CF prospects, Alfaro, CJ Edwards aka as Carl and Thompson etc but I understood why it was done and more important why then. Thus the overpay

In this phase of rebuilding I don't think trading prospects or short term contracts that are pricey are smart

I never liked the Hamels trade but tolerated it, the thing that always bothered me was including Thompson, essentially so they would take Harrison, just bad all the way around... I also hated losing Alfaro, but was ok with Nick Williams and the others

Brinson AND Cordell for Lucroy was just a piss poor decision, I was never a Lucroy fan

This is not a issue of hindsight but immediate revulsion

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked the Hamels trade but tolerated it, the thing that always bothered me was including Thompson, essentially so they would take Harrison, just bad all the way around... I also hated losing Alfaro, but was ok with Nick Williams and the others

Brinson AND Cordell for Lucroy was just a piss poor decision, I was never a Lucroy fan

This is not a issue of hindsight but immediate revulsion

I was happy we got Hamels, but thought including Thompson just to save one years salary of Harrison made no sense. We'd recouped insurance $$ I suspect had we hung on to Harrison.

I was also on board with the Lucroy trade, but again, thought we gave up way too much to get him. And it appears I drank a little too much of the Kool-Aide and bought off on how Lucroy was going to enhance our pitching staff. :doh:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh crap

I always got so angry when the announcers would say “ it’s tollie time in Texas” that guy was a train wreck.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Backs sign Yoshihisa Hirano. thought the Rangers might look at him as a closer

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is perfect present for Rangers, if owners want to do it

It’s possible that the owners and Daniels are waiting things out. None of the top free-agent starters has signed this off-season, and the trade market for difference-making starters hasn’t developed yet.

It’s not like Darvish’s contract will drop from $25 million-$30 million a season to $10 million. But maybe it drops to the $20 million-$25 million range. Maybe he takes less money for full no-trade protection. Maybe he takes less because he knows Texas doesn’t have state income tax.

There are a lot of ifs and maybes, but his desire to play with the Rangers isn’t either. Darvish has a family and a team of dogs in Dallas. He also has many friends in the area, including Daniels.

The biggest if, though, is the owners. They have spent handsomely on various players in the past and have invested plenty in other ventures, like minor-league teams, entertainment venues and a new stadium. All those things, though, are supposed to have no effect on the on-field product.

It sure doesn’t seem that way. It also seems as if Darvish would be an investment in the new stadium.

New stadiums are great unless fans have no reason to go beyond the novelty of seeing it once. If they don’t have the draw of a good team, they might be drawn every fifth day to watch Darvish pitch.

It’s easy to spend someone else’s money, and the owners didn’t get rich by without being tied to budgets in various projects. But they are making money on the Rangers.

The franchise value has doubled since they purchased the Rangers in August 2010 for $593 million, and the value is going to soar once Globe Life Field is completed and opens for business.

They have the money.

The owners, who rarely speak to the media and leave Daniels to answer for them, have given no good reason for going stingy this off-season. Why? They don’t have one.

So, it’s time for ownership to let Daniels loose on Darvish and let him try to put something nice under the Rangers fans’ tree.

If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.

But it would.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is perfect present for Rangers, if owners want to do it

It’s possible that the owners and Daniels are waiting things out. None of the top free-agent starters has signed this off-season, and the trade market for difference-making starters hasn’t developed yet.

It’s not like Darvish’s contract will drop from $25 million-$30 million a season to $10 million. But maybe it drops to the $20 million-$25 million range. Maybe he takes less money for full no-trade protection. Maybe he takes less because he knows Texas doesn’t have state income tax.

There are a lot of ifs and maybes, but his desire to play with the Rangers isn’t either. Darvish has a family and a team of dogs in Dallas. He also has many friends in the area, including Daniels.

The biggest if, though, is the owners. They have spent handsomely on various players in the past and have invested plenty in other ventures, like minor-league teams, entertainment venues and a new stadium. All those things, though, are supposed to have no effect on the on-field product.

It sure doesn’t seem that way. It also seems as if Darvish would be an investment in the new stadium.

New stadiums are great unless fans have no reason to go beyond the novelty of seeing it once. If they don’t have the draw of a good team, they might be drawn every fifth day to watch Darvish pitch.

It’s easy to spend someone else’s money, and the owners didn’t get rich by without being tied to budgets in various projects. But they are making money on the Rangers.

The franchise value has doubled since they purchased the Rangers in August 2010 for $593 million, and the value is going to soar once Globe Life Field is completed and opens for business.

They have the money.

The owners, who rarely speak to the media and leave Daniels to answer for them, have given no good reason for going stingy this off-season. Why? They don’t have one.

So, it’s time for ownership to let Daniels loose on Darvish and let him try to put something nice under the Rangers fans’ tree.

If it doesn’t work out, it doesn’t work out.

But it would.
Well all the cash supplied by Arlington should put impetus to spend. Guess have to figure out if Darvish is the one.
jD has to work within perimeters of Owners guidelines

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well all the cash supplied by Arlington should put impetus to spend. Guess have to figure out if Darvish is the one.
jD has to work within perimeters of Owners guidelines
It was a very refreshing article in that it has been a very long time since a local media member has called out ownership for a lack of spending.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL scout: 'Something unraveled' with Rangers last season, and it started at the top

What started during Ron Washington's tenure with the Rangers continued when Jeff Banister came in as manager, the scout said.

"The Rangers have been a fun team to watch," the scout said. "They had fun when they played, but they were also tough and did things the right way.

"But something changed last year. Something unraveled."

From his perch in the seats, the scout saw a team that appeared, at times, to be overwhelmed by frustration. It started at the top.

"I've always thought a lot of Jeff," the scout said. "He's good at what he does. But he seemed to get angry a lot easier last year than in the past.

"But that pitching overall and that bullpen in particular was such a mess that it's easy to understand. That bullpen would have made anyone angry."

Banister had to make an in-season change at closer for the third consecutive season. He went from Sam Dyson to Matt Bush to whomever answered the phone, with Alex Claudio emerging in the role late.

The Rangers had the second-highest bullpen ERA in the American League at 4.64 and the lowest save-conversion rate at 58 percent, with 29 saves in 50 chances.

The Rangers had 14 losses when leading after six innings, the second-highest total in the majors. Miami had 15 losses.

The Rangers tied Detroit for the most losses when leading after seven innings with 10. They also tied Miami for the most losses when leading after eight innings with six.

"They are in dire need of pitching, especially in the bullpen," the scout said. "They need depth."

He believes the Rangers should scuttle plans to try Bush and newly acquired left-hander Mike Minor in the rotation. Keep both in the bullpen, and give Minor the chance to close. Minor went 6 for 6 in save chances during September with Kansas City last year.

Having Jake Diekman for a full season will help, the scout said. His absence for five months while recovering from ulcerative colitis surgery created a huge late-innings void in the bullpen, the scout said.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL scout: 'Something unraveled' with Rangers last season, and it started at the top

What started during Ron Washington's tenure with the Rangers continued when Jeff Banister came in as manager, the scout said.

"The Rangers have been a fun team to watch," the scout said. "They had fun when they played, but they were also tough and did things the right way.

"But something changed last year. Something unraveled."

From his perch in the seats, the scout saw a team that appeared, at times, to be overwhelmed by frustration. It started at the top.

"I've always thought a lot of Jeff," the scout said. "He's good at what he does. But he seemed to get angry a lot easier last year than in the past.

"But that pitching overall and that bullpen in particular was such a mess that it's easy to understand. That bullpen would have made anyone angry."

Banister had to make an in-season change at closer for the third consecutive season. He went from Sam Dyson to Matt Bush to whomever answered the phone, with Alex Claudio emerging in the role late.

The Rangers had the second-highest bullpen ERA in the American League at 4.64 and the lowest save-conversion rate at 58 percent, with 29 saves in 50 chances.

The Rangers had 14 losses when leading after six innings, the second-highest total in the majors. Miami had 15 losses.

The Rangers tied Detroit for the most losses when leading after seven innings with 10. They also tied Miami for the most losses when leading after eight innings with six.

"They are in dire need of pitching, especially in the bullpen," the scout said. "They need depth."

He believes the Rangers should scuttle plans to try Bush and newly acquired left-hander Mike Minor in the rotation. Keep both in the bullpen, and give Minor the chance to close. Minor went 6 for 6 in save chances during September with Kansas City last year.

Having Jake Diekman for a full season will help, the scout said. His absence for five months while recovering from ulcerative colitis surgery created a huge late-innings void in the bullpen, the scout said.

All appear valid. Banny on contract year. We shall see. Other issue is strikeouts esp Odor. That needs fixing.

Frustrating year for fan base as well. I have thought Minor is likely most qualified closer but thought he might start and if we sneak into the playoffs then he becomes a multiple inning closer ala Miller

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well all the cash supplied by Arlington should put impetus to spend.

Good point. And Arlington has gone to the mat for both the Cowboys and Rangers and get damn near no credit, at least nationally, for doing so.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. And Arlington has gone to the mat for both the Cowboys and Rangers and get damn near no credit, at least nationally, for doing so.

Would love to hear more logic and timing re spending from Rangers. Seems like I heard value of club has increased dramatically. Spending on payroll should have been part of stadium negotiation IMO. Granted payroll is higher than most overall, but thinking we are way under so far