• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a shame. I guess Yu refuses to place himself on the "clearance" rack and JD/ownership doesn't want to pay the going rate for really good players.
with Perez on the shelf for at least 4 months maybe more. i think the Rangers have to sign at least 2 starters now with one of them a TORP.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the Rangers not overpaying Yu.
we need a TORP doesn't have to be Darvish but we need to sign someone. Hamels is maybe a 3 based on last season, Fister, Minor & Moore are at best a 3 or worse

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm OK with the Rangers not overpaying Yu.
I am okay with them not giving him an AAV of $28 million or more. If he signs for an AAV of equal to or less than $25 million then I am not okay with that at all. Anywhere in between is a gray area to me.

At some point they need 2 pitchers at the top of the rotation. At some point they are either going to have to pay the going rate or gut the farm system by trading for them.

Sometimes thinking you are overpaying means you just don't want to pay what it takes. There is a cost of doing business and if you fail to acknowledge that and go along with it you get left behind.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with them not giving him an AAV of $28 million or more. If he signs for an AAV of equal to or less than $25 million then I am not okay with that at all. Anywhere in between is a gray area to me.

At some point they need 2 pitchers at the top of the rotation. At some point they are either going to have to pay the going rate or gut the farm system.

Sometimes thinking you are overpaying means you just don't want to pay what it takes. There is a cost of doing business and if you fail to acknowledge that and go along with it you get left behind.
we need to sign him or someone equivalent and he is the logical choice of those. and we need someone for our #2 possibly someone like Cobb or equivalent

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpays are probably smarter if a window is in place.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we need a TORP doesn't have to be Darvish but we need to sign someone.

a TORP isn't going to make a difference this season, so I see no need for the Rangers to overpay for one. Darvish and Cobb are the only ones I would even consider.

I think $25/m a year for Yu is overpaying, but if they can cap the guaranteed years at 4 then I'd be OK with it.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a TORP isn't going to make a difference this season, so I see no need for the Rangers to overpay for one. Darvish and Cobb are the only ones I would even consider.

I think $25/m a year for Yu is overpaying, but if they can cap the guaranteed years at 4 then I'd be OK with it.
no a TORP isn't really needed this coming season but i'm looking beyond 2018 and the need then. are you willing to get into a bidding war after 2018 for Kershaw, Keuchel etc where it could reach over 200 to 250M

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no a TORP isn't really needed this coming season but i'm looking beyond 2018 and the need then. are you willing to get into a bidding war after 2018 for Kershaw, Keuchel etc where it could reach over 200 to 250M

Of course not. What I'm saying is that none of the options out there right now to sign present a strong outlook for beyond 2018. Maybe Cobb and to a lesser extent Darvish.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. What I'm saying is that none of the options out there right now to sign present a strong outlook for beyond 2018. Maybe Cobb and to a lesser extent Darvish.
Well there aren't any outside of Kershaw, Keuchel, Corbin that grab me from the 2018-19 class tha grab me and they will cost a lot more than Darvish and Cobb. Beyond those 3 I don't see anyone better than Cobb and Darvish.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Part of me thinks if it is all things equal sign him to not let Astros get him

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Evan Grant being a wet blanket
So this is meeting that is not a real meeting

Weird

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overpays are probably smarter if a window is in place.
Signing Yu would be a big start in opening up a window. You can't go out and find everything we need in one offseason. Yu will be the best deal we can get on any ace going forward until we develop one so we need to get him now. If you wait until there is a window to go find an ace you are too late most of the time. Finding a good deal like we made for Lee can't be depended on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whether it is considered overpaying or not it is the price of doing business if you are in the business of acquiring an ace. At least that appears to be the way things are in baseball now.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Gallo was on The Fan this morning. They asked him when he realized he was basically Paul Bunyan with a bat. He said his parents realized it first. He had to play tee ball on his older brother's team because he hit the ball so hard. His brother is 3 years older.

On a humorous note, they asked him if he liked Chipotle. He said he did and that his agent got him free Chipotle for a year, but he used the card up in about six months.

He said the Rangers were one of the few teams that scouted him and was willing to let him hit instead of pitch. He said he misses coming in as a closer. Even his high school coaches wanted him to concentrate on pitching since he was throwing 95 MPH as a sophomore. He was clocked once in high school as high as 100 MPH.

Gallo is my sons favorite player for the same reasons as what Joey went through. He's a massive kid and lives, breathes, and bleeds baseball. For his 7th birthday this year he doesn't want a party he wants to go to Spring Training, and so I'm obliging him. :)

It's funny to read that about Tball because that was his issue too. He has played up in baseball the last two seasons because he crushes the ball and is eligible for this spring, fall, and next spring. He's inches taller than the next biggest kid in the league and he's still the youngest on his team. Last year his coach from his t-ball team was at the field and watched him hit a coach pitch to the fence for an inside the parker, I asked "could you imagine him hitting that off a T at 6 year olds?' and he said my kid would probably be removed from the field by the umps. 6 years old and already 4'8", and his apetite is gonna drive me to a second job!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Evan Grant being a wet blanket
So this is meeting that is not a real meeting

Weird

It sounds more like a parting gift, an exit interview. No agent means not negotiating. I don't blame Yu, this is his chance to set his family for life. This contract should be nothing but a money grab after playing on a "discount" the last few. Can't fault him, but sure wish we could get a discount.

Maybe if we could give him a good contract with a great out. Something back loaded with mutual options. 5 years, $145M with only first two guaranteed and then mutual outs. year breakdown = 24/24/30/32/35.
So he can get paid now and decide to get paid later if he wants or he can go after another big guaranteed contract. he's 31 and that could make him a FA again at 33, or if he doesn't think he can do better he can play for 30+ per year in an air conditioned stadium. In two years 30M will still be a steal if he is a serviceable 1 or 2.