• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley actually went out and got Goran Dragic. Which was a couple of years ago.
Well sh!t... that proves your case. Ainge got his guy IT in similar fashion.

This "the C's never pull the trigger" nonsense is good fodder for hot takes on TV and discussion forums... but it's pretty flimsy when actually examined close up.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ainge fleeced the Nets for draft picks...

just sayin...:D

I think that's more circumstance. Just because you see a dipshit owner who thinks he can come in and try to be an instant contender and willing to sell you the farm for over the hill players in Terry, Pierce and KG doesn't make you the savant of GMs.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, Miami is more than South Beach.

Boston's a great regular season team, but they don't have the personnel right now that makes them a solid contender. You add Hayward, then that adds an interesting dynamic. But if Hayward comes to Miami, then you could say the same thing for the Heat.

Just like you, I don't see the major draw with Boston. Pretty soon those guys that Ainge drafted are going to start going elsewhere when their rookie deals are up.

Well, they would be RFA whose offers can be matched.
That being said, I agree with the rest of your post.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,440.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sh!t... that proves your case. Ainge got his guy IT in similar fashion.

This "the C's never pull the trigger" nonsense is good fodder for hot takes on TV and discussion forums... but it's pretty flimsy when actually examined close up.

The problem is stockpiling the draft picks and then having to cut other draft picks (from just 1-2 years ago) because you can't keep them all on your roster (14-15 players per season)

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree on the better destination from a basketball perspective.

Both are good coaches. Heat last year (once we weren't hampered by injuries) proved that they have stability in place and a good coach. Also, Heat were operating at a 25% handicap compared to the rest of the league given that Bosh was out and was no longer playing, but his salary was still on the cap. So going 41-41 with what many thought was a full rebuilding process and losing out on a tie breaker seems like an overachieving year. Ask James Johnson and Dion Waiters about how their careers are now.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they would be RFA whose offers can be matched.
That being said, I agree with the rest of your post.

I agree. But there will be some teams that start offering them backloaded deals and some of these players may bite. They'll have to pay these guys more which drives up the luxury tax bill as well.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially since he's married.....South Beach would be a little more enticing to a bachelor. looking to score with babes. Heyward strikes me as a family man.

Agree on that.
Maybe I should have said Star Island or Coral Gables.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But there will be some teams that start offering them backloaded deals and some of these players may bite. They'll have to pay these guys more which drives up the luxury tax bill as well.

They trust their own process...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's more circumstance. Just because you see a dipshit owner who thinks he can come in and try to be an instant contender and willing to sell you the farm for over the hill players in Terry, Pierce and KG doesn't make you the savant of GMs.

Dipshit owner? Why was the 1st person I thought of was Dan Gilbert?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on CSNNE that Ainge said he would not do the banners and silly stuff. He wants the talks to be direct and straight forward.

Miami advantages are no income tax and year round pleasant weather.
Utah advantages are a contract that neither Miami or Boston can match.
Boston advantages are a team that needs a piece to get beyond Cleveland and into the NBA Finals, a team with the best record in the East without a potent shooting forward (Hayward) or a center. They signed Ante Zizic who will be the Celtic center at 7'3". The signed German power forward Theis for rebounding that they totally lacked last year. As far as family, some of the best public and private schools in the country are in greater Boston.

IT and Horford will be on hand to give him the inside scoop as what playing on the Celtics will be like.
Hayward's not stupid and my guess is that his mind is 75% made up anyway. He's making the visits to be sure of his decision, no matter where he goes. Visiting the other two spots won't change his mind. If he's decided to leave Utah, no matter what they do will convince him to go back. If he returns to Utah, then he doesn't care about winning and he's made the right choice.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is stockpiling the draft picks and then having to cut other draft picks because you can't keep them all on your roster....
Has this been a big problem yet?

In what way, exactly?
DJ said:
...he should have tried to trade for Butler because they could offer more than the Wolves did.
You got a point here... in defense of Ainge and the C's, I think they thought they had a pretty good shot at turning the trick on both Hayward and PG for the upcoming.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing that every Celtics fan believes the Lakers pick will convey at 2-5 and every LAL fan believes they will win 30+ games.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are good coaches. Heat last year (once we weren't hampered by injuries) proved that they have stability in place and a good coach. Also, Heat were operating at a 25% handicap compared to the rest of the league given that Bosh was out and was no longer playing, but his salary was still on the cap. So going 41-41 with what many thought was a full rebuilding process and losing out on a tie breaker seems like an overachieving year. Ask James Johnson and Dion Waiters about how their careers are now.
Spoelstra did a nice job. If he can replicate success, I'll be impressed.

I thought Stevens did a nice job regrouping his team after his star, 5th in MVP voting lost his baby sister at the start of the playoffs. Beating the Wiz was no small task either, granted they took some lumps during the series, but they gave it back enough to win the series. Hell even i predicted a loss there.