• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mays, of course this is a possibility. Its also a possibility that the Giants need three starting pitchers next year as well. From my perspective, this is a worst case scenario. It assumes that neither Parker nor Williamson are able to contribute. It assumes the Giants don't trade for an outfielder like they did years ago for Pence. It assumes that the outfield free agent crop in 2016 will be much worse than what is currently available (which is possible, I don't know who will be available next offseason).

Looking at next offseason, the only guys who will be free agents after 2016 will be Blanco, Pagan, Jake Peavy and three bullpen arms (Lopez, Casilla and Romo). Depending on how the minor leagues fill in those positions, all the Giants may need to sign next offseason is an outfielder and a relief pitcher. If they need to get two outfielders next year it won't be the end of the world.

The more important point is 2016. The stars are lining up for another deep run. If they can afford a top-notch OF now, that would make us as good as anybody, maybe better. Winning pennants and making the playoffs isn't enough anymore. If we can afford it, which by all accounts we can, we should make our team just as good as possible now. WSC or bust. Banzai!!!!!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read on espn that Cespedes is considering signing a one year deal to try for the mega deal again next year, as he's not getting the offers he thought he would. Too many teams rebuilding, not that many needing a premium OF. Might work for us?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chili Davis, Jack Clark and Gary Matthews.

Before Posey, who was last catcher the org developed?

Before Panik, who was the last 2B the org developed?

Before Crawford, who was the last SS the org developed?

This is a different development team than before. Granted, they focus on pitching and infield, but they have a few OFers in the system who actually have decent ceilings.

I know these questions are rhetorical but let's answer them:

last catcher was....Sandoval!

last 2B was Thompson.

last SS? I can't recall

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know these questions are rhetorical but let's answer them:

last catcher was....Sandoval!

last 2B was Thompson.

last SS? I can't recall
I think the last SS was Clayton. I considered Sandoval a 3B, but you are 100% correct. He was developed as a catcher. I was thinking more along the lines of Manwaring.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read on espn that Cespedes is considering signing a one year deal to try for the mega deal again next year, as he's not getting the offers he thought he would. Too many teams rebuilding, not that many needing a premium OF. Might work for us?
If he is looking to rebuild value, no way he signs with the Giants. He would go to a team with an offensive park.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO, that would be perfect for us. Well worth the risk/reward. We have the budget. We have the need.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is looking to rebuild value, no way he signs with the Giants. He would go to a team with an offensive park.

But other teams would see that. Potential future suitors would park adjust his numbers. He already played for Boston and had his career low OPS with them. I think there are multiple reasons why he would sign with us for one year:
1). His value would increase if he could play on a WS champion.
2) The need for him here is perfect - a LF who would likely play some CF.
3) Our park is not that bad for a RH power hitter.
4) It would be an opportunity for him to learn from champions to be a champion and shed his image.

For us, we would get him in a contract year where he would try to be most productive.

If we could get him for 1/20 that would be great. It might put us over the luxury tax limit, but not by much, and our lineup would be the envy of the league.

Last edited:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he came here for a year and we went to the WS, he behaved himself, hit 25hr with 90 rbi, and was a plus fielder, he would deserve 5/100. And we should be the first to offer it to him.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But other teams would see that. Potential future suitors would park adjust his numbers. He already played for Boston and had his career low OPS with them. I think there are multiple reasons why he would sign with us for one year:
1). His value would increase if he could play on a WS champion.
2) The need for him here is perfect - a LF who would likely play some CF.
3) Our park is not that bad for a RH power hitter.
4) It would be an opportunity for him to learn from champions to be a champion and shed his image.

For us, we would get him in a contract year where he would try to be most productive.

If we could get him for 1/20 that would be great. It might put us over the luxury tax limit, but not by much, and our lineup would be the envy of the league.
I think the individual offensive numbers will create more value than what team he plays on. He played on the losing team of the WS and is now talking about taking a one year deal. Alex Gordon is still on the market and he played for the Royals. Greinke's team didn't even make it to the WS and he got an earth shattering deal. I would think Cespedes will want to sign with a team that is going to give him the best chance to put up good numbers.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he needs to "rebuild" anything. Dude is a solid OF, 4.0 WAR a year guy. At $8M/WAR he's an elite talent. He'd take a one year deal to be able to cash in huge next offseason from a timing perspective. If he'd take 1 year/ $20M I think you pull the trigger if you're the Giants.

That all said, I doubt he will take a one year deal and we end up with Fowler or Parra.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he came here for a year and we went to the WS, he behaved himself, hit 25hr with 90 rbi, and was a plus fielder, he would deserve 5/100. And we should be the first to offer it to him.

If all that happened, he'd get 6/150 or more. I'm not sure we'd do that.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all that happened, he'd get 6/150 or more. I'm not sure we'd do that.
Quite possibly. We aren't all that far off for pulling numbers out of the air. But you got the idea.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the individual offensive numbers will create more value than what team he plays on. He played on the losing team of the WS and is now talking about taking a one year deal. Alex Gordon is still on the market and he played for the Royals. Greinke's team didn't even make it to the WS and he got an earth shattering deal. I would think Cespedes will want to sign with a team that is going to give him the best chance to put up good numbers.
My point with Cespedes being on a WS champ is that he has developed an image of being a selfish, non-hustling showboat. He needs to overcome that before he gets the mega-contract that he has the talent to get.

Your other examples don't really apply - in fact they don't apply at all. Gordon is now 32, and last year his numbers dropped considerably. Huge red flags for anyone thinking of going long-term with him. Greinke is Greinke - the consensus best pitcher in baseball. He didn't need to shed an image to land a mega-contract, like Cespedes needs to.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly. We aren't all that far off for pulling numbers out of the air. But you got the idea.
This, today, from MLBTR:

If the door was cracked open even a little bit before for Yoenis Cespedes to re-sign with the Mets, it now appears to have been slammed shut. The Mets are still looking to add a right-handed hitting outfielder, but it won’t be Cespedes, sources familiar with their thinking tell Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

The Mets are heading into 2016 with lefty bats in left field (Michael Conforto), right field (Curtis Granderson) and first base (Lucas Duda) and they’re eyeing right-handed bats as a complement to that, including Steve Pearce and others of that ilk, according to Heyman. Of course, it’s not a huge surprise to hear that the Mets are moving on from Cespedes after their recent signing of Alejandro De Aza.

At some point this winter, the Mets offered a short term deal of perhaps “two or three” years for the Cuban slugger, sources tell Heyman. Interestingly enough, they never got around to discussing dollars. As Heyman notes, that probably wouldn’t have moved the needle one way or another anyway since Cespedes is widely expected to net a five- or six-year deal. At the outset of the offseason, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes predicted that Cespedes would net a six-year, $140MM deal.

Right now, it’s not immediately clear where Cespedes could land. The Orioles and Angels have been linked to Cespedes, with the Tigers, Royals and Giants also being involved. The White Sox have also been mentioned as a possible suitor for the Roc Nation client as they have a need in left field.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, today, from MLBTR:

If the door was cracked open even a little bit before for Yoenis Cespedes to re-sign with the Mets, it now appears to have been slammed shut. The Mets are still looking to add a right-handed hitting outfielder, but it won’t be Cespedes, sources familiar with their thinking tell Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

The Mets are heading into 2016 with lefty bats in left field (Michael Conforto), right field (Curtis Granderson) and first base (Lucas Duda) and they’re eyeing right-handed bats as a complement to that, including Steve Pearce and others of that ilk, according to Heyman. Of course, it’s not a huge surprise to hear that the Mets are moving on from Cespedes after their recent signing of Alejandro De Aza.

At some point this winter, the Mets offered a short term deal of perhaps “two or three” years for the Cuban slugger, sources tell Heyman. Interestingly enough, they never got around to discussing dollars. As Heyman notes, that probably wouldn’t have moved the needle one way or another anyway since Cespedes is widely expected to net a five- or six-year deal. At the outset of the offseason, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes predicted that Cespedes would net a six-year, $140MM deal.

Right now, it’s not immediately clear where Cespedes could land. The Orioles and Angels have been linked to Cespedes, with the Tigers, Royals and Giants also being involved. The White Sox have also been mentioned as a possible suitor for the Roc Nation client as they have a need in left field.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him land with the White Sox. That's a team that is looking to win now for the aging Reinsdorf and seem focused on getting all the talent that they can.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My previous criticism of Gordon aside, word is that he declined KC's low-ball of roughly 4/50. No surprise there.

He had a groin injury last year on July 9, and he was out Jul/Aug. He came back OK, and even hit to an .836 OPS in the Series..

He was a 24+ WAR player 2011-2014. A lot of that was defense, with 4 GG's.

He turns 32 in Feb.

Is he worth 4/70 to us, or even 4/75? I could see a WAR value by year of 5-4-3-3. That's 15. More value in the early years of Teh Window. If he can stay healthy, I can be talked into this quite easily, and I'd rather have him than Cespedes. He'd be a lock to fit in, unlike YC.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My previous criticism of Gordon aside, word is that he declined KC's low-ball of roughly 4/50. No surprise there.

He had a groin injury last year on July 9, and he was out Jul/Aug. He came back OK, and even hit to an .836 OPS in the Series..

He was a 24+ WAR player 2011-2014. A lot of that was defense, with 4 GG's.

He turns 32 in Feb.

Is he worth 4/70 to us, or even 4/75? I could see a WAR value by year of 5-4-3-3. That's 15. More value in the early years of Teh Window. If he can stay healthy, I can be talked into this quite easily, and I'd rather have him than Cespedes. He'd be a lock to fit in, unlike YC.
Forgot to add that he was originally brought up to play 3B as a rookie. He doesn't play much there anymore, but he could in a pinch (looking at you, cal).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to add that he was originally brought up to play 3B as a rookie. He doesn't play much there anymore, but he could in a pinch (looking at you, cal).
But then where will Posey play?

:scratch: