• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Rosterbation

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw on ESPN that the Astros are listening to offers on George Springer for pitching. I have unfortunately stopped following the farm system and have no real idea what we have down there anymore. Do we have the pieces to bring him over? Do any of you know how he would do in CF?

I'm sorry in advance if that is a stupid question or if it has been discussed before.

Hey Eric! Been a long time since we've seen you!

I'll bet the Astros are looking for major league pitching, not prospects. The Giants don't have the type that would get a deal done IMO. I could see the Indians talking with Carrasco/Salazar.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw on ESPN that the Astros are listening to offers on George Springer for pitching. I have unfortunately stopped following the farm system and have no real idea what we have down there anymore. Do we have the pieces to bring him over? Do any of you know how he would do in CF?

I'm sorry in advance if that is a stupid question or if it has been discussed before.
Hi Eric, good to see you are still around.

I guess the Astros feel that they are doing from a position of strength on Springer. Maybe they want to make room for Preston Tucker? I saw that they already dealt Domingo Santana so it seems a little surprising that they want to deal Springer, unless they feel he's only going to get worse.

As for our farm system, there isn't a whole lot of prospects in the upper minors in the outfield. It is one of the thinner positions for the farm. We do have a couple of intriguing guys that, I think, are ready - Jarrett Parker and Mac Williamson. I'm beginning to wonder if they'll even get a chance. Other than those two, there isn't more than organizational filler between Sacramento and San Jose.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good to see you Eric.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No papsmeer in SF??? I can live with that ... ;)

The real reason for that is because he can then chose to add options to his contract to approve the trade. Just like he did with the Nationals last year. He had them add that he would be the closer if he was healthy and if they broke that they would have to pay him a huge bonus and then release him at full pay so he could then chose where to go next. It is a smart move. He just named a bunch of contending teams who might need a closer to do the exact same this year.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real reason for that is because he can then chose to add options to his contract to approve the trade. Just like he did with the Nationals last year. He had them add that he would be the closer if he was healthy and if they broke that they would have to pay him a huge bonus and then release him at full pay so he could then chose where to go next. It is a smart move. He just named a bunch of contending teams who might need a closer to do the exact same this year.

I didn't read that. What I read was that the Nats turned his 2016 option into a guaranteed year, and that Papsmear agreed to turn the $13M option into $11M and defer $3M of the '16 salary to '17.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure unsubstantiated speculation on my part, but I'm beginning to think that since the Giants have not re-signed Byrd yet (hell, give him the $8mm if they do), that maybe they have their sights set a little higher.

Just sayin'.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pure unsubstantiated speculation on my part, but I'm beginning to think that since the Giants have not re-signed Byrd yet (hell, give him the $8mm if they do), that maybe they have their sights set a little higher.

Just sayin'.
I doubt it. Unless by "higher" you mean something like Jackson or Span.

I think Byrd is firmly one of their options. I just sense that they are looking more at a CF option than a corner option.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming the Giants dont do anything else this off-season, where do you guys grade them out?

I put them at B+/A-. They upgraded the rotation in both IP and quality to the point that they are likely a top 5 or 6 rotation in all of baseball. They have not done anything with the OF yet, but with Mac and Parker, I am not positive that was a big need anyway.

For the record, I do believe they will still get a 3.5 type OF. Likely a CF (Jackson or Span).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. Unless by "higher" you mean something like Jackson or Span.

I think Byrd is firmly one of their options. I just sense that they are looking more at a CF option than a corner option.
Actually, by "higher" I meant Alex Gordon - one can hope, no?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, by "higher" I meant Alex Gordon - one can hope, no?
That's what I thought you were referring to.

I think the Giants are officially out of the Gordon / Upton / Cespedes races.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought you were referring to.

I think the Giants are officially out of the Gordon / Upton / Cespedes races.

Probably so. Although after witnessing the Nats and the Dodgers and the Mets clubhouse issues, I want no part of Upton or Cespedes anyway. I could get behind a push for Gordon, assuming they want to exceed the lux tax. But I have no idea whatsoever what the revenues look like or are projected to look like.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably so. Although after witnessing the Nats and the Dodgers and the Mets clubhouse issues, I want no part of Upton or Cespedes anyway. I could get behind a push for Gordon, assuming they want to exceed the lux tax. But I have no idea whatsoever what the revenues look like or are projected to look like.

Well, we are at $176.3M (14 guys under contract) at the moment with arb coming up for Belt and Kontos -- who are projected to be 6.3 together. So that's 182.6 with 16 guys. Add in 8 guys at min and that's a little over $4M. So let's call it $187 all in. $189M is the tax threshold. I'm not sure we can/will add another above-minimum contract.

Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we are at $176.3M (14 guys under contract) at the moment with arb coming up for Belt and Kontos -- who are projected to be 6.3 together. So that's 182.6 with 16 guys. Add in 8 guys at min and that's a little over $4M. So let's call it $187 all in. $189M is the tax threshold. I'm not sure we can/will add another above-minimum contract.
BBRef has us at $152.9 before Cueto. Add $23 for Cueto, and that is $175.9. That includes $6.2 for Belt, and $1.0 for Kontos. Are you sure your source excludes Belt and Kontos?

2015 San Francisco Giants Current and Future Payrolls | Baseball-Reference.com