• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lester ages the best out of the current FA group, but I still don't think that commitment can be taken with a get out jail free card whenever you want. The Astros had to eat some money to trade a decent Wandy a few years ago. I don't think there is an out until you are 4 years into that deal.

How many guys do you see traded with 4 years left on a major FA deal, I can't think of too many.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In any case, I feel like Pittsburgh should be a tempting place for pitchers to go given how many have come here and overachieved, the pitcher-friendly ballpark, the perception of Searage as a pitching coach, and the aggressive use of analytics to take away hits, and the constant employ of catchers who have histories of stealing strikes, all coupled with the recent success of the team as a whole. We should be talking to any and all of them of value to see what kind of deal they would want from us.

And we shouldn't have any trouble bringing in at least one reclamation project to compete for the fifth spot while Morton's hurt (assuming we bring in two other, sure-in starters) on the cheap, like Johnson.

Ground ball pitchers, in particular, should be interested in pitching in Pittsburgh, so definitely call all of those guys.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lester ages the best out of the current FA group, but I still don't think that commitment can be taken with a get out jail free card whenever you want. The Astros had to eat some money to trade a decent Wandy a few years ago. I don't think there is an out until you are 4 years into that deal.

How many guys do you see traded with 4 years left on a major FA deal, I can't think of too many.

Yeah, and the concern is legitimate, but if he keeps producing, and we keep winning, it wouldn't handcuff the team too much, and it could make other assets expendable in trades in the meanwhile. It would be a risk, but it would be a good risk, I think, since he'd be here for the projected peak of our team's talent. Cutch and Walker in their primes, Marte close, Bell maybe up, Taillon, Glasnow, and Kingham knocking on the door or pitching in the Majors, Cole approaching his prime. There's a decent chance the risk pays off in the form of legitimate postseason success.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are more likely to trade for a SP, we just arent going to sign one of the top 3.

Go back to the AL east? Tabata for Ubaldo Jimenez and O's eat 10 mill

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is minor league, very unimportant deal, but Brad Lincoln is back.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we are more likely to trade for a SP, we just arent going to sign one of the top 3.

Go back to the AL east? Tabata for Ubaldo Jimenez and O's eat 10 mill

But Ubaldo has sucked for the majority of his career. I would just as soon sign a second tier FA and not give up anything, even Tabata. I must admit that I haven't gotten very far into the trade scene yet, still watching the FA market. I'm not sure why as I don't figure the Pirates will t ruely be players, but still I hold out hope. However, watching MLB Network yesterday, SD is said to be at least listening on their top 3 starters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Liriano only wants $12 million per for 3-4 years. So why haven't we already signed him?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be haggling over years, 4 seems a little long for Liriano, IMO.

Sign me up for 3/39 though.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Apparently, Liriano only wants $12 million per for 3-4 years. So why haven't we already signed him?

Because no one out there is willing to pay him that much. That may change as the top pitchers start coming off the boards, but there is just little incentive right now. I would gladly pay 3/$36 to him, so don't take what I say the wrong way, but if you can wait and get him at 3/$30 or 4/$40, I would rather do that. I just think that he is the type of player that the QO, is going to destroy his market.
Another thing to think about is that the team may be looking at other pitchers either in free agency or via trade. I go back and forth with the idea of trading for Cole Hamels, I would eat the entire contract, and give up some good prospects for him on some days. Other days, I am ok with one or the other, but not necessarily both. Today, as I write this, I would be fine with a package of Kingham, Hanson, and a couple slightly lesser prospects and pay the entire salary. But it isn't my money so in reality that is not a likely scenario.
But I digress, if you can wait and get him cheaper, then I say wait. But again, I am fine with 3/$36.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because no one out there is willing to pay him that much. That may change as the top pitchers start coming off the boards, but there is just little incentive right now. I would gladly pay 3/$36 to him, so don't take what I say the wrong way, but if you can wait and get him at 3/$30 or 4/$40, I would rather do that. I just think that he is the type of player that the QO, is going to destroy his market.
Another thing to think about is that the team may be looking at other pitchers either in free agency or via trade. I go back and forth with the idea of trading for Cole Hamels, I would eat the entire contract, and give up some good prospects for him on some days. Other days, I am ok with one or the other, but not necessarily both. Today, as I write this, I would be fine with a package of Kingham, Hanson, and a couple slightly lesser prospects and pay the entire salary. But it isn't my money so in reality that is not a likely scenario.
But I digress, if you can wait and get him cheaper, then I say wait. But again, I am fine with 3/$36.

I guess that also explains why no one else has signed him, either...

As for Hamels, I would probably only go with the sort of thing you're proposing in this post. But if we can get another, more or less comparable pitcher in free agency for similar money without also giving up prospects, that's probably the better option. Lester, for example, would cost us more years, probably, but similar money, but no prospects, so if we can go that way instead of Hamels, that's what I would do.

I think we still need either two more 1-3 type starters or one #2 at least and a first baseman before the end of this offseason in order to contend next year, though.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed on Liriano, was a good move to QO him.

I don't think that's a bad deal for Hamels, although I think the Phils have to pick up some salary no matter what, I don't see a team taking everything unless it's the Dodgers.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you can't give up prospects and the money for hamels.
might as well get a FA and keep the prospects.

hamels isn't worth that money anyways. not an ace, is a great 2nd or 3rd fiddle as that is all he has the psychological makeup for.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good bye Ike Davis, he got designated to make room for the rule V protection.

Added Kingham Taillon Garcia and Diaz

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good bye Ike Davis, he got designated to make room for the rule V protection.

Added Kingham Taillon Garcia and Diaz

I am surprised that the designated Davis, simply because of some of the other names on the 40 man roster. I am also slightly surprised that Mel Rojas wasn't added, not because he is a great prospect, but because he seemingly has more upside than Naff Decker. Another player that could have been added is Jason Creasy, again not special, but he will likely be taken and could be a starter in the majors.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
glad davis is gone.
unsure why they didn't protect rojas over daecker and esp creasy. creasy a team can hide, rojas would have been hard to stay on a team all year.

hoping they are thinking of signing 2 FA so would have had to dump 2 more anyway. liriano and who else?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
glad davis is gone.
unsure why they didn't protect rojas over daecker and esp creasy. creasy a team can hide, rojas would have been hard to stay on a team all year.

hoping they are thinking of signing 2 FA so would have had to dump 2 more anyway. liriano and who else?

I am also glad Davis is gone, but I would have kept him over Pedro. In all honesty though, I would dump Pedro and Gaby as well and hand over first base to Lambo.

As for Rojas and Dacker, I don't know that either one is better than the other, I just feel that Rojas has the prospect of improvement still, while Dacker has probably reached his potential.

I am not even sure a team would have to hide Creasy, I actually think that he will be useful out of the bullpen next year, with an outside chance of being a serviceable 5th starter on a below average team. I believe he will be taken and he will last through the year with his new team. If I were to guess a team I would guess Houston, Chicago or Minnesota.

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you can't give up prospects and the money for hamels.
might as well get a FA and keep the prospects.

hamels isn't worth that money anyways. not an ace, is a great 2nd or 3rd fiddle as that is all he has the psychological makeup for.

Hamel's numbers would improve pitching in PNC instead of the band box in Philly. Your right he's not worth the money, but he would be the ace on the Pirates.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about Rojas, seems like that type of guy who is almost a guarantee to get taken, and has the type of skill set that can make a good bench player.

As for Davis, I'm not shocked. I hope they can do better, but it clears up some questions with the first base spot.