• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Pirates

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa, figured that bridge was burned. Amazing what a year in the that craphole org will do.

Good deal, for one year at that rate.

According to the story about the signing on MLB.com, AJ turned down 2 player options for over $12 million with the Phillies and immediately contacted the Pirates about conning back for one last year. In the story he also admitted his reaction to his benching in game 5 against St. Louis was wrong and if he had it to do over again he would react differently and called it all water under the bridge.

So yeah. He really wanted out of Philly bad! Philly still owes him a $7.5 million signing bonus so he'll still make $16 mil next season.

I like the signing. He'll eat up innings and add some fire to the team.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the AJ signing will have any affect on Russel Martin. Hopefully, AJ calls Russel up and tells him how much he regretted leaving and how glad he is to be back.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, funny seeing the Phils get screwed by their own terrible contracts. They hand out the worst type of contracts.

I don't think there is any question AJ will call Martin, whether it makes a tangible difference is anyone's guess.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ervin makes a lot more sense..........I wonder why I never think of him when I read the name Santana? My thought process usually goes Carlos then Johan and pretty much stops there.

Yeah, he is pretty solid, probably a little safer bet than Liriano, although not as likely to have dominant starts.

Although I don't really like having 5 right handed starters in the rotation, with the only lefty being Locke possibly.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, toss Gavin Floyd into the reclamation project ring. Pitched well last year, but is coming off an injury.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I only wonder if Burnett is this year's Volquez.
He should help. His FIP last year was still better than what Volquez gave us.

The team is looking weak at catcher if Martin doesn't come back, and very weak in the rotation. Need bullpen arm and need to figure out 1B.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think AJ is the replacement for Volquez, they still need a #2 for sure.

3.75 ERA, 200 innings, and 2-2.5 WAR would be a good season for AJ.

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well it looks like Russ to Toronto for 5/82. Guess they can DH him if he starts to break down.

Wish him well.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well it looks like Russ to Toronto for 5/82. Guess they can DH him if he starts to break down.

Wish him well.

Yep, too much for me.

Cardinals traded for Jason Heyward as well, gave up Shelby Miller, so not a good day at all for the Pirates.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wish him well.

Wow, I'm glad the Pirates traded for Cervelli.

Well time to focus on starting pitching.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In an attempt to find the silver lining here, there is not currently any free agent that we should not be able to get in on. If we take the Martin savings and go strong after Shields, Lester or Scherzer and are able to sign one of the three, it might be a blood thing.

I also think we should look into trading for a first baseman, they obviously aren't going to give Lambo a shot, and I personally don't believe that Pedro is the answer, and there is no one currently a free agent that I would get excited about.

I'm going to stop there, too much stuff running through my mind and this post could get really long.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an attempt to find the silver lining here, there is not currently any free agent that we should not be able to get in on. If we take the Martin savings and go strong after Shields, Lester or Scherzer and are able to sign one of the three, it might be a blood thing.

I also think we should look into trading for a first baseman, they obviously aren't going to give Lambo a shot, and I personally don't believe that Pedro is the answer, and there is no one currently a free agent that I would get excited about.

I'm going to stop there, too much stuff running through my mind and this post could get really long.

I'm not sure with the trade market what it is at first base what kind of assets that trade would cost us. But doing it now, before we're desperate, would be better if we can.

But yeah, now that we have gained a comp pick, we might as well go after someone who would cost us one. That's no longer an issue for us; we can break even in the draft, so we can offer a little better deals, I think. I think Scherzer is going to be way out of our price range, but Lester and Shields are guys I've thought about a lot.

If we really want to push it, sign back Liriano, too. With Morton's health a constant question mark, I think we need two starting pitchers. Revenue is up, our offense should still be decent, even without Martin, and our defense should be solid. A deep, dominant rotation would make us serious contenders. And if Taillon, Glasnow, and Kingham start knocking on the door, we'll have tradeable assets to bring in possible future needs, or, if we don't have immediate needs, to restock the farm system.

I think we could push $100 million on our payroll, and if we don't do anything at first base, and do give Lambo (or even Snider) a shot there, based on projections, I think we'd sit around $95 million if we signed Shields/Lester and Liriano to their expected contracts.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Unfortunately, Neal has been saying stuff that makes it sound like he's not exactly going hard after starting pitchers.

In my opinion the MINIMUM was Liriano plus a Volquez upgrade. Burnett was signed, but I have a bad feeling that he's replacing Liriano instead. Who replaces Volquez? Nobody?

If the team really wants to win, this would be a perfect time to get Lester or Shields. A real free agent. We don't have anywhere near enough pitching talent to say it would block a prospect. I'd even say that we should sign Shields AND Liriano. That would give us a decent rotation for once.

1. Shields
2. Cole
3. Liriano
4. Burnett
5. Morton/Locke/Worley

Morton is injured, Taillon is on an innings count. Glasnow could use some time. Kingham probably could use some time too.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, Neal has been saying stuff that makes it sound like he's not exactly going hard after starting pitchers.

In my opinion the MINIMUM was Liriano plus a Volquez upgrade. Burnett was signed, but I have a bad feeling that he's replacing Liriano instead. Who replaces Volquez? Nobody?

If the team really wants to win, this would be a perfect time to get Lester or Shields. A real free agent. We don't have anywhere near enough pitching talent to say it would block a prospect. I'd even say that we should sign Shields AND Liriano. That would give us a decent rotation for once.

1. Shields
2. Cole
3. Liriano
4. Burnett
5. Morton/Locke/Worley

Morton is injured, Taillon is on an innings count. Glasnow could use some time. Kingham probably could use some time too.

I actually don't think Kingham can really benefit from any more time at AAA. I think he's learned all there is to learn there, and while Morton is hurt at the start of the season, Kingham is the guy I want them auditioning for the fifth rotation spot. If he wins it, start shopping Morton, I guess, because I think he could bring back some value with his ceiling. He looks dominant at times.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Updated 2015 Pirates:

Staff becomes ? (25M), Cole (500K), Burnett (8.5M), Morton (8M), Worley (2.5M)
Lineup: Harrison (2.5M), Mercer (500K), McCutchen (10M), Walker (8.5M), Marte (1M) Alvarez (5.5M), Snider (2M), Cervelli (1.5M)
RP: Melancon (4M), Watson (2M), Hughes (1M), Holdzkom (500K), Locke (500K), Cumpton (500K), Pimentel (500K)
Bench: Stewart (1.5M), Lambo (500K), Tabata (4M), UTIL (2M), UTIL (1M)

That's about a 94M Payroll which is where the Pirates should be. The Pirates need to take advantage of the window they are currently in. The RP above can change. The Pirates really need to go after the dominant number one.

Shields will probably get in the $25M range, but will want more years than the Pirate should go. That is the problem with any good SP coming off a solid year. The Pirates might be able to meet their current salary demands per season, but the pitchers will want more years than the Pirates should go. The best fit is Hamels as his contract is doable and fits in the window (4 more years) the current team is in. Also, Hamels is a 6.6 WAR pitcher v. Shields being a 3.3 WAR pitcher. If the Pirates sent the Phillies a couple decent prospects, maybethe Phillies would pay some of Hamels contract and the Pirates could add another SP as well. If the Phillies would prefer just to get Hamels off the books for some lesser prospects, the Pirates should be fine with the $24M for the next 4 years.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever James Shields gets, he probably won't be worth it. He's gonna get paid as the 'next guy' after the two actual aces, when he is closer to Liriano and Santana than he is to Scherzer and Lester.

Santana and/or Liriano should be the targets for sure.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever James Shields gets, he probably won't be worth it. He's gonna get paid as the 'next guy' after the two actual aces, when he is closer to Liriano and Santana than he is to Scherzer and Lester.

Santana and/or Liriano should be the targets for sure.

Lester would be my number one target, and I'd also like to bring back Liriano at the same time. That gives us two really good lefties.

I figure Lester will sit around $20 million per, and Liriano in the $12 million per range. Or we could go after Brett Anderson instead of Liriano as our #3, who I think will sit somewhere just south of $10 million per.

If we go a step down for Liriano and Anderson, though, I'd consider making a big play for a 1B, either Tomas or in a trade where we eat some money. Either way, we would end up with a better roster than last year's, I think, even after the loss of Martin.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana, of course, is also in play. I'd just like a lefty or two in the rotation.

And McCarthy would likely be a really good fit in Pittsburgh, recently becoming a bit of a ground ball pitcher who can strike guys out and doesn't walk anyone. Really seems to fit the mold the team likes, and the mold which succeeds in Pittsburgh. I just fear he's going to be way overpaid for what he brings to the table.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Lester doesn't have a QO attached, so that is a plus. I just can't imagine the Pirates handing out a 6/120 deal, and I think he gets more than that.

I'd like to see them make a trade where they eat some money, but I don't see many guys like that out there. Maybe Chris Davis, but is Balt trying to trade him?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Lester doesn't have a QO attached, so that is a plus. I just can't imagine the Pirates handing out a 6/120 deal, and I think he gets more than that.

I'd like to see them make a trade where they eat some money, but I don't see many guys like that out there. Maybe Chris Davis, but is Balt trying to trade him?

I can't imagine why Baltimore would trade him, especially after a down year, unless they really think Pearce is the answer, which, if they're sane, they shouldn't.

And for Lester, I don't think the Pirates should be too concerned with term. Pitchers almost always remain tradeable. If we need to move him, we'll find a taker.