• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think he will get? I am guessing 3 - 4 mil per year, unless a Cap floor team needs to hand out some charity.

I think that's a little low, I would not be shocked to see some team shell out 5 million per season on a 3-4 year deal.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Cody Franson fan, he will command too much money for what he delivers on-ice.
Also, wouldn't signing him essentially preclude Calgary from re-signing Gio? Assuming Dougie gets $6 mil and they sign Franson for $4.5 mil, Calgary's cap hit for defencemen will be $27 million prior to signing Gio. Even if they move Smid or Engelland they will still end up having to pay at least $7 million to Gio bringing the cap hit for d-men to $30 mil with Monahan and Gaudreau going RFA.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about Cody Franson coming to Calgary, unless Burke is on a post-draft bender (which is entirely possible).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFL, a lot more players hold out and can actually re-negotiate - in the NHL, you can't re-negotiate during the contract and move money around so players probably want to make sure that they can get as much as they can before they sign a contract - and the salary cap is bigger in the NFL too
That's why i'm advocating a more NFL-like system. If you perform, you can re-negotiate. If you don't, your ass gets thrown to the curb where it belongs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why i'm advocating a more NFL-like system. If you perform, you can re-negotiate. If you don't, your ass gets thrown to the curb where it belongs.

Of course, I doubt the NHLPA would go for that lol

But I think your point is a valid one although I think if you're going to do that, I think the salary cap would need to be somewhat higher - but I don't think the NHL has that problem as much as the NFL does, but there's also more NFL players too

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I doubt the NHLPA would go for that lol

But I think your point is a valid one although I think if you're going to do that, I think the salary cap would need to be somewhat higher - but I don't think the NHL has that problem as much as the NFL does, but there's also more NFL players too
As long as the HRR split stays at 50% (although maybe the split in the future needs to be favoured more toward the players, which I'm sure the owners will do without causing another lockout) everything else will work itself out.

I get that GM's do dumb shit sometimes (look at where I live and who I cheer for), but I don't understand any argument where a player should be absolved of responsibility for not living up to his value. Scott Gomez' and Chris Drury's deals should've been terminated years before they finally were because they received market value when they signed them and by the end were a burden on their employer because their skills had diminished to the point where their contracts made a mockery of the system. It's bullshit.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the HRR split stays at 50% (although maybe the split in the future needs to be favoured more toward the players, which I'm sure the owners will do without causing another lockout) everything else will work itself out.

I get that GM's do dumb shit sometimes (look at where I live and who I cheer for), but I don't understand any argument where a player should be absolved of responsibility for not living up to his value. Scott Gomez' and Chris Drury's deals should've been terminated years before they finally were because they received market value when they signed them and by the end were a burden on their employer because their skills had diminished to the point where their contracts made a mockery of the system. It's bullshit.

I don't disagree here, but sometimes, when a player's skills diminishes, it just diminishes - I don't think it's always a matter of a player not working hard anymore and not doing what it takes to be a good player anymore - Scott Gomez actually played some semi-decent hockey for the Devils this past season and probably still has something left with the right team - Chris Drury just plain lost it and concussions probably had something to do with it too - I don't blame the players at all for going for the contracts because they know that it's one of their last chances to cash in

There are cases though where a player signs a long term contract and he flames out early on - it's not like Mike Richards flamed out at the very beginning of the contract - when he signed it, it started in 2008 and for the first 3-4 years of the contract, he was really good and then he started to fall off - if it was only a 6 or 7 year deal, it wouldn't have looked so bad but since it was 12 years, there's was a good chance it wouldn't be good at the end

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want an NFL-like system, be prepared for Cap shenanigans that would make the Pronger situation look like child's play. Terminating contracts "Early" complicates a Cap exponentially.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come the risk the players take supersedes the risk the GM's take?

Keep in mind that non-guaranteed contracts can work in the players' favour, too - NFL players hold out and re-negotiate their contracts for more money all the time, and the ones who deserve it get paid.

Because when the risk doesn't work out for GMs, the league just bends the rules for them.

Pronger, Voynov, Stoll, Gagne, Richards, etc.

Everyone but Kovalchuk.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be so bad to keep Phil Kessel for one more season?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be so bad to keep Phil Kessel for one more season?

Not IMO. No problem at all.

Actually, if I could trust him to keep himself mentally and physically fit, I would keep him for the duration. I guy like Phil with some of the young playmakers they have been drafting could be deadly.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed this gem from DGB about the Bruins acquiring Zac Rinaldo for a 3rd round pick:

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
The Bruins roster has turned into Saved By The Bell, because it has Zac and Kelly and Torey and it's not really funny anymore.

Last edited:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come the risk the players take supersedes the risk the GM's take?

Keep in mind that non-guaranteed contracts can work in the players' favour, too - NFL players hold out and re-negotiate their contracts for more money all the time, and the ones who deserve it get paid.

Because ones risking their physical well being and the other pride and another persons money?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because ones risking their physical well being and the other pride and another persons money?
There are always injury provisions in collective bargaining for professional sports leagues. Note that a player can't be bought out if he is on LTIR - that doesn't have to change in a non-guaranteed contract world.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are always injury provisions in collective bargaining for professional sports leagues. Note that a player can't be bought out if he is on LTIR - that doesn't have to change in a non-guaranteed contract world.

Not even discussing career enders, simply the physical crap they go through. Players are the NHL, they should be guaranteed pay from the owners they make money for. I simply think it's the job of a GM to make these tough decisions. I know you hate the cap, but as a small market fan, I love it. Baseball isn't the perfect non-cap example, but it shows the problems with it. I despise the MLB salary set up. They screw small markets daily.