• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be so bad to keep Phil Kessel for one more season?
My thing with Kessel is that he can help a team make a Cup run next season and the season after that, but in 5 years maybe he won't and that's when the Leafs will need an $8 million goalscorer. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind not trading him at all.

As for this season compared to next season, my biggest concern there is the cap falling. Some are projecting that the loonie will fall as low as 65 cents. In that case, the cap will remain stagnant or fall and there it'll just become even harder to move an $8 mil hit.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing with Kessel is that he can help a team make a Cup run next season and the season after that, but in 5 years maybe he won't and that's when the Leafs will need an $8 million goalscorer. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind not trading him at all.

As for this season compared to next season, my biggest concern there is the cap falling. Some are projecting that the loonie will fall as low as 65 cents. In that case, the cap will remain stagnant or fall and there it'll just become even harder to move an $8 mil hit.

I can see the loonie dropping down to 75 cents, but I don't think it would drop much lower than that mark.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even discussing career enders, simply the physical crap they go through. Players are the NHL, they should be guaranteed pay from the owners they make money for. I simply think it's the job of a GM to make these tough decisions. I know you hate the cap, but as a small market fan, I love it. Baseball isn't the perfect non-cap example, but it shows the problems with it. I despise the MLB salary set up. They screw small markets daily.
1. NHL players are guaranteed 50% of hockey-related revenue in the CBA and if anything that percentage will rise in the future, not decline. The money will still be going to the players, just not the players who don't deserve the money they're earning. Not sure how anybody can argue with that logic, but it is certainly your right to do so.

2. I don't think you can classify Pittsburgh as a small market for hockey - they have the highest local TV ratings in the league. If they aren't maximizing revenue it is on the owners, not the league as a whole and in that case the cap is just a crutch for them to not saddle up and find new revenue streams.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. NHL players are guaranteed 50% of hockey-related revenue in the CBA and if anything that percentage will rise in the future, not decline. The money will still be going to the players, just not the players who don't deserve the money they're earning. Not sure how anybody can argue with that logic, but it is certainly your right to do so.

2. I don't think you can classify Pittsburgh as a small market for hockey - they have the highest local TV ratings in the league. If they aren't maximizing revenue it is on the owners, not the league as a whole and in that case the cap is just a crutch for them to not saddle up and find new revenue streams.

Not sure TV viewership dictates market size. I mean, as far as quality of market, sure it's a good one, but frankly that's because we've been spoiled rotten with talent over the years. As far as metro population it's 20th of 30th. If you take the cap off, a few teams rise to the top as far as ability to pay. Pens aren't one of them, not in the long term. I'll concede point one as an agree to disagree. Sign the deal, live with it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Jones - 29 NHL starts.
$9.0 million contract (over 3 years)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good for Arty.

But that makes the Hawks need to move more before next year, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good for Arty.

But that makes the Hawks need to move more, I'd imagine.

Not sure what "kicks in next summer" is supposed to mean. I wonder if the increased Cap hit only starts next summer, so the CHI for 2015-16 is calculated using the current contract? :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what "kicks in next summer" is supposed to mean. I wonder if the increased Cap hit only starts next summer, so the CHI for 2015-16 is calculated using the current contract? :noidea:

I think it means he is on his current deal (~3.35) and his extension officially starts at the end of this season.

Oh, and ummm... OH NOES! SOME RANDOM FAT FUCK ON TWITTER HAS A SOURCE!

Saad has already said he wants to wear #20 and is on his way to Columbus today to meet the team.

CRUSHED, I TELLS YA!

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Yes, he is signed through next year already, so the new deal starts once this one ends.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it means he is on his current deal (~3.35) and his extension officially starts at the end of this season.

Oh, and ummm... OH NOES! SOME RANDOM FAT FUCK ON TWITTER HAS A SOURCE!

Saad has already said he wants to wear #20 and is on his way to Columbus today to meet the team.

CRUSHED, I TELLS YA!

Don't doubt the Jay.

He has an honest face. I believe him.

:nod:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't doubt the Jay.

He has an honest face. I believe him.

:nod:

About Jay | Red Light District

Well, he's a blogger so obviously qualified.

Here's a picture of him at the helm:
I_Can_Typing.gif

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might find this chart interesting. Not all teams can offer RFAs a contract due to lack of draft pick compensation.

Will anyone even offer an RFA a contract though?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES YES YES

Make it happen captain !!!

He is yours for a saguro cactus and a private box at your new arena in Vegas.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I have now confirmed that BBB posts on Twitter

In response to the Bozak tweet above

:heh:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might find this chart interesting. Not all teams can offer RFAs a contract due to lack of draft pick compensation.

Will anyone even offer an RFA a contract though?

Awesome, thanks for that. There was something similar last year with capgeek. I was hoping someone picked up and ran with it.

So, uhhhhh, Pittsburgh... Go ahead and offer sheet Saad. You have to go over 9m and we get your next four 1sts. Go ahead.

I am much more relaxed about having to endure an offer sheet disaster now.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome, thanks for that. There was something similar last year with capgeek. I was hoping someone picked up and ran with it.

So, uhhhhh, Pittsburgh... Go ahead and offer sheet Saad. You have to go over 9m and we get your next four 1sts. Go ahead.

I am much more relaxed about having to endure an offer sheet disaster now.

They won't, but they would have before Chicago moved him. They'd be helping Columbus at this point with any offer.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't, but they would have before Chicago moved him. They'd be helping Columbus at this point with any offer.

PIT would have offered Saad over 9 mil? And given up 4 Firsts? :scratch:

If this info is correct, the best PIT could have offered Saad is 5.4 mil.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PIT would have offered Saad over 9 mil? And given up 4 Firsts? :scratch:

If this info is correct, the best PIT could have offered Saad is 5.4 mil.

And I think they would have done that. Not sure anyone expected that 6.5/6 number to pop up. I'm not saying he would've signed it, I'm saying they would've tried.