• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Columbus Blue Jackets - Kekalainen: Jackets mulling multiple options - Columbus Blue Jackets - News

Jarmo's thoughts.

One thing Kekalainen isn’t keen on doing, he said today, is spending multiple picks and assets to move up a few spots. The hockey operations mantra has remained concrete: they do not want to sacrifice the long-term health of the organization.

“We’re not going to be going crazy,” he said. “There’s a reason why we’ve acquired six picks in the first 69. It’s to stockpile young assets, and if we give up too many of those to move up a few spots, we might get top quality but it takes away from the depth of the organization.”

Sounds like he thinks the Cox tweet offer may be a bit steep too.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're Don Maloney, would you take ROR + the Avs first rounder (10th) and give up pick #3 (likely Hanifin)?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Columbus Blue Jackets - Kekalainen: Jackets mulling multiple options - Columbus Blue Jackets - News

Jarmo's thoughts.

One thing Kekalainen isn’t keen on doing, he said today, is spending multiple picks and assets to move up a few spots. The hockey operations mantra has remained concrete: they do not want to sacrifice the long-term health of the organization.

“We’re not going to be going crazy,” he said. “There’s a reason why we’ve acquired six picks in the first 69. It’s to stockpile young assets, and if we give up too many of those to move up a few spots, we might get top quality but it takes away from the depth of the organization.”

Sounds like he thinks the Cox tweet offer may be a bit steep too.

Or he is playing coy in the media, hoping to lower the value.

Anyway, regarding the 8th, Ani and Rychel for 3rd option it all depends on what the BJs draft board looks like.

The draft rankings we see are often miles away from what individual teams have compiled. If Jarmo has Hanifin 3rd on his board, Provorov 4th and Werenski and Co at 30th+., the Cox deal makes a ton of sense. That is if he's truly targeting a D-man (which that high in the draft is a mistake; always take the best player available).

The reverse is true of Arizona's board. Once thing I do know? If Arizona were to accept Ani, Rychel and a 2nd for the 3rd overall they've lost their bloody minds.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're Don Maloney, would you take ROR + the Avs first rounder (10th) and give up pick #3 (likely Hanifin)?

No, he wants Anisimov and Rychel. And more second rounders.

C'mon Donny!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If it weren't for the fact that O'Reilly wants a billion dollar contract, then I'd do that for sure if I was Maloney.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it weren't for the fact that O'Reilly wants a billion dollar contract, then I'd do that for sure if I was Maloney.
If he comes down to $7 mil/yr, It's reasonable. If he's comparable to, say, Logan Couture, it's only a million more than he got two years ago.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'reilly should get a bit of interest around the league. My Senators would offer Cowen, our 1st rounder in this draft and zibanejad.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O'reilly should get a bit of interest around the league. My Senators would offer Cowen, our 1st rounder in this draft and zibanejad.

I sure as shit hope they wouldn't.

Cowen I could care less about. However the 1st this year should end up being a damn good player given this management team's drafting record. Zibanejad was only slightly less effective last year than O'Reilly. Zibanejad is cheap and cost-controlled for the foreseeable future whereas O'Reilly costs a fortune (for 9 more points last year than Zibs) and is a HUGE risk to just walk after this season. Given the way he's been developing I think that Zibanejad could be as good a, or better, player than O'Reilly within 2 years.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've said this and it was awaz who started it when he posted how he thought the top 10 would go over on the Flyers boards

It makes way too damn sense for both teams - yeah there's no guarantee of ROR re-signing in Arizona but it gives the Coyotes a real good all-around player plus the 10th pick which isn't bad at all(they can draft a scorer like Kyle Connor) and the Avs can get what they desperately need, which is a cornerstone d-man at number 3

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ My "like" for that post is the fact that I said to myself "I bet that like is matty".

Or he is playing coy in the media, hoping to lower the value.

Anyway, regarding the 8th, Ani and Rychel for 3rd option it all depends on what the BJs draft board looks like.

The draft rankings we see are often miles away from what individual teams have compiled. If Jarmo has Hanifin 3rd on his board, Provorov 4th and Werenski and Co at 30th+., the Cox deal makes a ton of sense. That is if he's truly targeting a D-man (which that high in the draft is a mistake; always take the best player available).

The reverse is true of Arizona's board. Once thing I do know? If Arizona were to accept Ani, Rychel and a 2nd for the 3rd overall they've lost their bloody minds.

Probably. But I feel Jarmo would also be out of his mind to give up more than that to move up five spots in a draft this deep, given their needs.

But excellent point, we don't know how the Jackets scouts have anyone ranked. Looking at last two drafts this crew did, you can rest assured that they have some disagreements with conventional thought. Dano for example. No one thought he was a first rounder, but Jarmo saw something. And do far, looks like he was right.

One big thing I have heard all along is that Jarmo knows Rantanen and really likes him. I wouldn't imagine the Jackets are maneuvering to ensure they land him. Just sitting still all but guarantees him if that's the way they want to go.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*searching furiously for pictures of ryan miller as a kid in a sharks jersey*

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap cap cap cap cap cap cap cap duh duh duh duh duh DUH . . . CAP [works better with music]

Kessel isnt going to PIT
Not a snowballs chance in hell. Not sure why people even try to validate these rumors. Common sense, people. Also, having no draft picks complicates everything. Really wish they'd move a guy like Sutter or Kunitz to get some picks/prospects/cap space open. Also Scuds. Just buy him out already.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the case (AZ needing to take on cap salary) why not deal the pick for ROR? They can probably squeeze both him and the 10th pick for 3rd because Colorado absolutely needs a d-man in return for him one way or another.

Also wondering if they can get 3rd without giving up the 10th and move that for a cut-price Dion Phaneuf. He'd eventually be a second-pair D behind Barrie/Hanifin and might even work out well with Erik Johnson...

Last edited: