• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is amazing. Agent finishes conversation = TRADE! Agent walks into bathroom = nevermind, it was a pile of shit.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much?! A 40 pt centre (which usually means third liner), a prospect and a pick for the right to draft a potential superstar?

EDIT: Maybe CBJ knows Provorov and Werenski won't be there at 8 thus the push for 3.

If they give up Arty, Kerby and 8th to get number 3, that would be well worth getting Noah Hanifin or Ivan Provorov

Arty is a solid, dependable player no doubt and Kerby has plenty of potential but if you can move up to assure yourself that you can get one of those d-men, it's well worth it

I do agree that they COULD get one of those guys at 8 but there's no guarantee - I feel like someone at number 3 will take a d-man and then the next team to take a d-man might be the Flyers at 7 which means CBJ would need to trade up to make it happen - just the way I see it

An NHL Centre who can play wing, play the PP and kill penalties (and the 40 points was with significant games missed), a prospect expected to be a top six forward AND a pick that could potentially wind up being any of Rantanen, Provorov, Werensky, Zacha or Barzal is not too much for a guarantee to draft one player?

I'd be okay with that package to land a proven NHL top 4 D man. But not when there are four potential top 4 D men in the first twelve ranked players in the draft. Too much.

I think the Jackets expect Hanifin to go third, so yes they are pushing for that pick, he's clearly the class of the litter. But I think they'd be foolish to also let 8 slide away in a big package. 3 for 8 +Rychel? Okay. No need to throw in Anisimov unless Arizona is willing to take on one of the really bad contracts too. Moving Anisimov in the deal weakens the organization more than strengthens it (especially if they can't also take #8). The only way it makes the loss worth it is if they can add by subtraction (Clarkson, Boll, Bourque), which is incredibly unlikely.

But it's Maloney, so who knows?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JARED BOLL

tumblr_lwvp35W8YD1qii6tmo1_400.gif

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Boll off to the Coilers this opens up a Vrbata to CBJ for the 8th pick ... yup ... sure does :nod:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An NHL Centre who can play wing, play the PP and kill penalties (and the 40 points was with significant games missed), a prospect expected to be a top six forward AND a pick that could potentially wind up being any of Rantanen, Provorov, Werensky, Zacha or Barzal is not too much for a guarantee to draft one player?

I'd be okay with that package to land a proven NHL top 4 D man. But not when there are four potential top 4 D men in the first twelve ranked players in the draft. Too much.

I think the Jackets expect Hanifin to go third, so yes they are pushing for that pick, he's clearly the class of the litter. But I think they'd be foolish to also let 8 slide away in a big package. 3 for 8 +Rychel? Okay. No need to throw in Anisimov unless Arizona is willing to take on one of the really bad contracts too. Moving Anisimov in the deal weakens the organization more than strengthens it (especially if they can't also take #8). The only way it makes the loss worth it is if they can add by subtraction (Clarkson, Boll, Bourque), which is incredibly unlikely.

But it's Maloney, so who knows?
Anisimov played more minute together with Foligno than any other forward. They complemented each other well and both played better together than any time they did apart, so you're right in the regard that losing Anisimov weakens the Jackets short-term even before getting into the PP/PK abilities. But in the end you're still talking about a guy who's a really good third liner or a borderline second liner on a Cup contender. There's a Cup winner out there right now selling those guys off wholesale, not to mention the UFA crop is essentially filled with them, and Anisimov isn't signed long-term and will definitely be seeking a raise next summer. The value simply isn't there.

As for Rychel, he had a good AHL debut season with 33 pts in 51 games as a 20 year old. To compare, Nazem Kadri had 41 pts in 44 games at the same age in his first AHL season. Say Rychel becomes a similar player production-wise to Kadri, maybe slightly better or slightly worse. And say Hanifin becomes Shea Weber. Would you trade Shea Weber for Kadri, Anisimov and a 2nd?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think NYI is the best landing spot for Kessel.

I get it from Toronto's standpoint, but not the Isles. The Leafs would probably want guys like Strome, Nelson & so forth. I don't see it happening. Besides the Isles seem to have this rule when it comes to their salary structure. NOBODY makes more than Tavares.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anisimov played more minute together with Foligno than any other forward. They complemented each other well and both played better together than any time they did apart, so you're right in the regard that losing Anisimov weakens the Jackets short-term even before getting into the PP/PK abilities. But in the end you're still talking about a guy who's a really good third liner or a borderline second liner on a Cup contender. There's a Cup winner out there right now selling those guys off wholesale, not to mention the UFA crop is essentially filled with them, and Anisimov isn't signed long-term and will definitely be seeking a raise next summer. The value simply isn't there.

As for Rychel, he had a good AHL debut season with 33 pts in 51 games as a 20 year old. To compare, Nazem Kadri had 41 pts in 44 games at the same age in his first AHL season. Say Rychel becomes a similar player production-wise to Kadri, maybe slightly better or slightly worse. And say Hanifin becomes Shea Weber. Would you trade Shea Weber for Kadri, Anisimov and a 2nd?

Shea Weber as he is now, or the chance to pick Shea Weber at 49 (Where he went)?

Why can't I just say what if Kerby Rychel becomes Phil Kessel (No chance, he works out)?

I know that Hanifin is head and shoulders above the other D men in this draft. The issue is that the others are no slouches. Plus the Jackets can dip in the UFA market to plug their perceived hole on D, too. Their D corps right now (Minus injury) is Johnson, Tyutin, Murray, Connauton, Prout, Savard and Goloubef (and Dillon Heatherington showing potential). Any one of Provorov, Hanifin, Werenski or Carlsson will help. And the consolation prize for picking at at 8? Zacha, Rantanen or Barzal? And you'd STILL have Anisimov and Rychel to deal for D later?

Unnecessary this year, with this draft class. Hence = too much.

As for the Hawks wholesaling guys like Anisimov. It's true, and Arty isn't signed long term. But right now he's cheaper than Sharp, Bickell, and Vermette and will be cheaper to resign than any of those guys. Plus he's been here, he knows the system and the expectations.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it from Toronto's standpoint, but not the Isles. The Leafs would probably want guys like Strome, Nelson & so forth. I don't see it happening. Besides the Isles seem to have this rule when it comes to their salary structure. NOBODY makes more than Tavares.
You don't see from an Isles standpoint how it could be beneficial having one of the best goalscorers in the league skating alongside Tavares?

It would take a lot of prospects from the Isles, including at least one of Strome/Nelson and probably Dal Colle too, but they gotta pay Nelson this summer along with Anders Lee and likely pay Strome way more next summer. That's all without mentioning Okposo. Isles can fit all that under the cap this year, but if they're gonna balk at re-signing Okposo then what? Waste a few years of Tavares' prime while Dal Colle develops? I like Okposo but he'll never come close offensively to Kessel and he's going to ask for almost as much. Makes much more sense for the Isles to get what they can for Okposo and work out a trade for Kessel and set up their top line for years to come.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't see from an Isles standpoint how it could be beneficial having one of the best goalscorers in the league skating alongside Tavares?

It would take a lot of prospects from the Isles, including at least one of Strome/Nelson and probably Dal Colle too, but they gotta pay Nelson this summer along with Anders Lee and likely pay Strome way more next summer. That's all without mentioning Okposo. Isles can fit all that under the cap this year, but if they're gonna balk at re-signing Okposo then what? Waste a few years of Tavares' prime while Dal Colle develops? I like Okposo but he'll never come close offensively to Kessel and he's going to ask for almost as much. Makes much more sense for the Isles to get what they can for Okposo and work out a trade for Kessel and set up their top line for years to come.

Or possibly trade KO to a team like Calgary for the 15th overall and then package that and one of their young d-men to move up and get one of the scoring forwards

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
@benkuzma 54m54 minutes ago
Benning on getting true trade value in goalie swap: "I don’t think with all the interest we have in them that that’s going to be a problem."

/saw another tweet where Bennington says the goalie thing prob gets done tonight or early tomorrow.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shea Weber as he is now, or the chance to pick Shea Weber at 49 (Where he went)?
Now. Hanifin projects as a 1A, right? Apt comparison.

Unless your point is that the draft is a crap shoot, which, of course it is.

Why can't I just say what if Kerby Rychel becomes Phil Kessel (No chance, he works out)?
When Kessel was 20, he scored more points in the NHL than Rychel had in the A. More games, but it was the show. Might as well compare him to Ovechkin.

I know that Hanifin is head and shoulders above the other D men in this draft. The issue is that the others are no slouches. Plus the Jackets can dip in the UFA market to plug their perceived hole on D, too. Their D corps right now (Minus injury) is Johnson, Tyutin, Murray, Connauton, Prout, Savard and Goloubef (and Dillon Heatherington showing potential). Any one of Provorov, Hanifin, Werenski or Carlsson will help. And the consolation prize for picking at at 8? Zacha, Rantanen or Barzal? And you'd STILL have Anisimov and Rychel to deal for D later?
I'm not arguing for or against the Jackets' need for Hanifin; simply playing devil's advocate. It just doesn't make sense for AZ to take less for this pick. If I'm you or CBJ, I'm more than happy with picking 8th just as I was with the Leafs picking 7th last year in a much weaker draft class.

As for the Hawks wholesaling guys like Anisimov. It's true, and Arty isn't signed long term. But right now he's cheaper than Sharp, Bickell, and Vermette and will be cheaper to resign than any of those guys. Plus he's been here, he knows the system and the expectations.
What makes you so sure he'll be cheaper? Dave Bolland got $5.5m/yr just a year ago, and I'll take Anisimov over Bolland any day.

Like I said, he fits CBJ, which is awesome but what does that matter to AZ?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or possibly trade KO to a team like Calgary for the 15th overall and then package that and one of their young d-men to move up and get one of the scoring forwards
It'd be creative and give the Leafs ammo to try and move up and get another top ten pick.

Isles make more and more sense each minute I think about it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Cox, he's jumped on the "PIT wants Kessel" wagon.

This despite it being a long shot on par with him going to Chicago or NYR, but I guess he's gotta earn his pay somehow.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Cox, he's jumped on the "PIT wants Kessel" wagon.

This despite it being a long shot on par with him going to Chicago or NYR, but I guess he's gotta earn his pay somehow.

Cap cap cap cap cap cap cap cap duh duh duh duh duh DUH . . . CAP [works better with music]

Kessel isnt going to PIT