• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could see Benning pulling the trigger on Soderberg

/i just posted that one to troll mattola

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so if he was ever actually offered to the Panthers he could make sure they weren't still bottom-feeders. Doubt he'd reject a trade to a state where it's 80 in January and there is no state income tax.

I wonder what the Leafs are asking from them though. Definitely the first round pick, and I'm guessing (if they're well and truly shocked by the demands) Bjugstad or Huberdeau?

Like BGD says and I've said all along, if that isn't the kind of package he can get right now keep him for another year. If they put him with Kadri for a full season I bet he at least gets back to the 30g/70p norms he's usually capable of and if 5v5 scoring continues to trend downward I'm sure the Leafs can get the return they want in March or next June.

Serious question - Does that apply to a person with citizenship in another place? I know Phil is a US citizen and could make his "residence" there, but what about a Canadian citizen there? Wouldn't they be held accountable for taxes in their home country?

I honestly have no idea how that works. But You would imagine if every players keeps every penny, then Florida teams would easily get the best players. Everyone would want to go...

this is handy

5 picks in 2 and 3? Niiiiice. A number of those should be attractive to Arizona, right? RIGHT?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Coyotes GM Maloney says a team has offered him 2 mid-1st rounders and a player for the #3 spot; #NHLJets only team to fit that category.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Serious question - Does that apply to a person with citizenship in another place? I know Phil is a US citizen and could make his "residence" there, but what about a Canadian citizen there? Wouldn't they be held accountable for taxes in their home country?

I honestly have no idea how that works. But You would imagine if every players keeps every penny, then Florida teams would easily get the best players. Everyone would want to go...
?
You can pay your taxes based on where the income was earned.
There were a bunch of Canucks that lived in Point Roberts (a peninsula 40 minutes away from Vancouver that is part of the usa). They kept track of which games were played in Canada vs the U.S., and paid tax to each country accordingly.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#Coyotes GM Maloney says a team has offered him 2 mid-1st rounders and a player for the #3 spot; #NHLJets only team to fit that category.

Frolik's rights and 2 1sts I would guess - doesn't look like the Jets are gaining much traction in re-signing him - he can get a nice deal with Arizona and that can help them get to the floor

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

5 picks in 2 and 3? Niiiiice. A number of those should be attractive to Arizona, right? RIGHT?

TAX 101:

GENERALLY

Canada taxes on the basis of residency. I am a Canadian citizen, but I do not reside in Canada. Therefore I do not pay Canadian taxes on any of my income. But I "earn" it in the US [My boss may wish to weigh in on that part]. If you are a Canadian resident, you pay tax on your worldwide income, regardless of where you earn it.

The US taxes on the basis of citizenship. A US citizen is taxed by the US on their worldwide income, regardless of residency or where it is earned. The US does give a citizen credit for taxes paid to foreign countries. I am also a US citizen, and thus, pay US tax on my worldwide income.

HOWEVER

Each country will tax income earned in their country, even if you are not subject to tax based on the rules above.

Canada - a non-resident will be taxed by Canada based on the income earned in Canada (by playing a game there).

US - a non-citizen is taxed by the US based on income earned in the US (by playing a game in the US).

Clear as mud (?)

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One last point to your specific question. A Canadian citizen playing hockey in, say, Florida, would have a lot of trouble proving to CRA that they were not resident in Canada. The player may think that working in FLA and owning a house there would be enough to establish residency outside the US. But CRA would (likely) strongly disagree. They would look at things like: do you own any houses in Canada, do you have bank accounts in Canada, do you have family in Canada, how long do you spend in each country, etc.

CRA would bust a hump to try to argue the player is still resident in Canada, despite working in FLA

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sven better turn into a consistent fucking 20 goal scorer is all Im saying

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sir Bennington is right, then I like the fact that the Flames currently have three 2nd round picks.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somewhat related, I've only paid attention to the top prospects this year. Is this supposed to be a deep draft? I know it's tough to tell once you get into the later rounds but are they talking like the 2nd/3rd rounds should be pretty well stocked still?