• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 Off Season - Trade and Draft discussion!

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the Leafs are asking for way too much

If the Panthers gave up Nick Bjugstad or Jonathan Huberdeau along with a first round pick and another possible piece, Dale Tallon would get justifiably destroyed for it - Phil Kessel is one of the better goal scorers in the league but he's only going to help a team get over the top - if you have to dismantle your roster and give up your best players to get him, why would you do that?

The problem with some of those other teams, like the Rangers is that they don't have a god damn asset to deal in order to get a player like Kessel because they've been flushing those assets down the toilet for years

People have to realize that it has to be a perfect situation in order for a trade of that caliber of a player to happen - teams have to be right there on the cusp of a cup where that one player can change the dynamic of their team - and that team needs to have the assets to get a deal done - for example, the Panthers have the assets but even if they do have a marked improvement next season and make the playoffs, they'd most likely wouldn't be a true cup contender just yet

Besides, the Panthers aren't trading someone they just gave a long term extension to AND they sure as hell won't trade Huby because him, Jagr and Barkov have AMAZING chemistry and that line wrecked the rest of the league in the last month of the season - why break that up?

Fair enough. I was not suggesting FLA were "insane" or "crazy" to pass on Phil. My comments were more general in nature. More of an observation on the general consensus from many teams that TOR is asking too much. As you explained, I can see why FLA is not a good fit for Phil, at least not at the price TOR apparently is asking. No worries.

And besides, I just wanted to say "K-dog".

Yes, I am having a bad week.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's obviously older and not quite on the same level of scoring but if I'm teams that see the price tag for Kessel and get scared off, I give a call to Ray Shero and see what the availability of Mike Cammalleri is. Guy put up 27 goals in 68 games for a Devils team that was down right horrific offensively.

Mike probably doesn't factor into the Devils plans long term, very reasonable cap hit for the next 4 years. Could likely be had for far, far cheaper than Kessel and could probably still give you that extra boost to get you over the edge if you're close.
If the Devils are trying to contend in the next year or two why are they trading their top scorer? He also has a no-trade.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is today gonna be a busy one? I heard (from the usual tin foilers) that some deals are done but Bettman didnt want any other story however minor to take away from the expansion announcement/awards show yesterday

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so is today gonna be a busy one? I heard (from the usual tin foilers) that some deals are done but Bettman didnt want any other story however minor to take away from the expansion announcement/awards show yesterday
That was my assumption. Could also just be that teams are "edging", waiting teams out to get the best offer before accepting at the risk that they may find another deal elsewhere. NYR is definitely doing that with Talbot right now.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Devils are trying to contend in the next year or two why are they trading their top scorer? He also has a no-trade.

I don't really see the Devils being legit contenders for the next 2 years and at that point I'm not sure where Mike is at. If you could package him or get a high end pick/prospect, I'd strongly consider it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really see the Devils being legit contenders for the next 2 years and at that point I'm not sure where Mike is at. If you could package him or get a high end pick/prospect, I'd strongly consider it.
I think Shero/Lou believe their team is going to challenge for a playoff spot this season. They have a legit #1 goalie, good young D, and assets to move for offensive help. You don't go trading your only 20 goal scorer in a situation like that, you get him help.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank god for pittsburgh lol

Yeah we won something. Least suckiest draft day amount of picks.... At least until benning trades the 1st and 4th to get that second and the rights to sign Ehrhoff early

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah we won something. Least suckiest draft day amount of picks.... At least until benning trades the 1st and 4th to get that second and the rights to sign Ehrhoff early

Shut the fuck up mattola

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Expansion? Did I miss something?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebrun:
OK, so Antti Niemi is coming off a subpar season, but the San Jose Sharks team that played in front of him wasn’t all that good, either.

It'll be interesting to see which teams reach out to the 31-year-old goaltender.

"I have to think he’s going to be one of the most sought-after goalies on the market," his agent Markus Lehto told ESPN.com.

:think:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBrun: Carolina 'definitely' open to trade Jeff Skinner

SKINNER!!

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBrun: Carolina 'definitely' open to trade Jeff Skinner

SKINNER!!

tumblr_mbln8aQ26Y1qcwrmho1_500.jpg

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebrun:
OK, so Antti Niemi is coming off a subpar season, but the San Jose Sharks team that played in front of him wasn’t all that good, either.

It'll be interesting to see which teams reach out to the 31-year-old goaltender.

"I have to think he’s going to be one of the most sought-after goalies on the market," his agent Markus Lehto told ESPN.com.

:think:

Considering what the goalie market is, that's not saying much