• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Rutherford with a super interesting interview on The Fan just now. He's a straight shooter, and I love that. BS meter doesn't go off with him as much as it does with many other executives. But he basically alluded to those Staal rumors being legitimate.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best case scenario is that he has been brought in (with an insured contract) to be a sacrifice to the heathen God that has been picking off Jackets players, one by one.

I laughed a lot at this.

Nationwide does not own the Jackets. They built and used to own the arena. That's it.

They are owned by Worthington Steel. An infusion of cash from Nationwide or someone else would be quite nice right now.

They're owned by a steel company?! Those still exist? No wonder they're so cash-tight.

Does it count if my GM traded the second worst one? I mean, I won't raise my hand. I can, like nod or something.

Nathan Horton's contract is like the 6th best contract on the Leafs team, said with full knowledge that he will never play a game for the team.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who kinda hopes Clarkson pots 2 goals and an assist with 4 hits, 4 blocked shots and a +4 rating in his very first game with the Blue Jackets just to watch the reaction of Leaf fans?
My reaction will be I wish him and the Jackets all the best. I don't revel in the failure of others unless said others are dicks, and Clarkson, while being a bad hockey player, didn't come off as a dick. He was a native who wanted to play for his home team. Why would I wish him anything but success?

Having said that, Clarkson will never score more than 20 points in a season for the rest of his career. He seriously either forgot or never knew to begin with how to play the game on a professional level. In his exit interview, he seriously blamed the lack of PP time for his scoring woes, without mentioning the fact he was getting PP time over guys like Kadri at times this year. He played on the PP for 3 straight months and didn't register a point. And what's funny is the Leafs' PP was actually one of the few strong points the team had for a while!

So yeah, wouldn't hold your breath.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reaction will be I wish him and the Jackets all the best. I don't revel in the failure of others unless said others are dicks, and Clarkson, while being a bad hockey player, didn't come off as a dick. He was a native who wanted to play for his home team. Why would I wish him anything but success?

Having said that, Clarkson will never score more than 20 points in a season for the rest of his career. He seriously either forgot or never knew to begin with how to play the game on a professional level. In his exit interview, he seriously blamed the lack of PP time for his scoring woes, without mentioning the fact he was getting PP time over guys like Kadri at times this year. He played on the PP for 3 straight months and didn't register a point. And what's funny is the Leafs' PP was actually one of the few strong points the team had for a while!

So yeah, wouldn't hold your breath.

Definitely not holding my breath, but I would find it quite comical... Just when Leafs fans think they finally won something, the rug gets yanked out from underneath them once again and Clarkson goes on a point-plus-per-game tear through the end of the season; leading Leafs fans to the harsh realization that it's not him, it's us.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good on Toronto for getting rid of the Clarkson contract, they've been doing great so far this trade season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're owned by a steel company?! Those still exist? No wonder they're so cash-tight.

They started as a steel company, but they also make a lot of other things. Most of the components that go into the braking systems for trains and tractor-trailers. Plus most of the cylinders used in the propane industry.

And they supply a lot of the chassis for Hondas built in Ohio.

Not as rich as MLSE, but not exactly hurting. But again, an infusion of cash from pyramid scheme like Nationwide would be great.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Rutherford with a super interesting interview on The Fan just now. He's a straight shooter, and I love that. BS meter doesn't go off with him as much as it does with many other executives. But he basically alluded to those Staal rumors being legitimate.
If they were true, I wonder if his willingness to waive NTC to move back to PIT was also true. If so, I could definitely see Carolina strip the cupboard bare this summer, meaning both Staals willing to go, as well as Skinner and...whoever else has value there. Ward? Maybe a team takes him in his UFA year hoping to get a spark out of him?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not holding my breath, but I would find it quite comical... Just when Leafs fans think they finally won something, the rug gets yanked out from underneath them once again and Clarkson goes on a point-plus-per-game tear through the end of the season; leading Leafs fans to the harsh realization that it's not him, it's us.
Leafs are stripping the team bare, they're in fifth last, they've fired the coach and still been bad...I think Leaf fans have known for a while it's the team that's the problem.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

like i said yesterday ... lets see what he does when the pressure is off ... it certainly will be with CBJ ... zero expectations ... when he arrived in hometown toronto they were doctoring photos and calling him the second coming of crappy leaf folk hero Wendel Clark

/on that note ... it just popped in my head so i havent given it much thought ... but does "going home" ever work for a player? anyone got examples? for the Canucks Jason Garrison coming home was a bit of a disaster ... and at the end, he was happy to waive his NTC

the only time i can think of it working for the Canucks was Cliff Ronning :noidea:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were true, I wonder if his willingness to waive NTC to move back to PIT was also true. If so, I could definitely see Carolina strip the cupboard bare this summer, meaning both Staals willing to go, as well as Skinner and...whoever else has value there. Ward? Maybe a team takes him in his UFA year hoping to get a spark out of him?

I mean, the reason he wanted to go to CAR was for his brother, whose days appear to be numbered down there. The other reason he was traded was because of the "third line center" thing, but I still tend to doubt that this actually bugged him.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like i said yesterday ... lets see what he does when the pressure is off ... it certainly will be with CBJ ... zero expectations ... when he arrived in hometown toronto they were doctoring photos and calling him the second coming of crappy leaf folk hero Wendel Clark

/on that note ... it just popped in my head so i havent given it much thought ... but does "going home" ever work for a player? anyone got examples? for the Canucks Jason Garrison coming home was a bit of a disaster ... and at the end, he was happy to waive his NTC

the only time i can think of it working for the Canucks was Cliff Ronning :noidea:

I mean, for the Pens they've only had one hometown kid play there, but he was drafted by them...so that doesn't really count. However, if Brandon Saad would like to come home, by all means...the door is open. Off the top of my head I can't think of a good hockey example.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who kinda hopes Clarkson pots 2 goals and an assist with 4 hits, 4 blocked shots and a +4 rating in his very first game with the Blue Jackets just to watch the reaction of Leaf fans?
Can it be his second game?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lanny McDonald coming home to Calgary (Hanna Alberta is pretty close) worked out okay.

thats a good one ... but Im thinking more present time in the sense of the free agency age or at least when player salaries were public knowledge

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Ference is a classic case ... goes home ... everybody celebrates ... the cute-sy pictures of him as a kid wearing the home team jerseys come out ...

AND everybody in Edmonton is distracted by the fact they overpaid for the guy and he will then be expected to play a role with increased responsibilites that he never had to have with his old team

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does "going home" ever work for a player? anyone got examples?

I mean, for the Pens they've only had one hometown kid play there, but he was drafted by them...so that doesn't really count. However, if Brandon Saad would like to come home, by all means...the door is open. Off the top of my head I can't think of a good hockey example.

Yeah, staying home seems to work a lot better than going home. Wings have Abdelkader and DeKeyser, both Michigan boys who started their careers and spent their entire careers with the organization. Dylan Larkin is a Detroit area boy who is a top Wings prospect tearing it up in Ann Arbor.

...Then you've got Mike Modano's triumphant return to Michigan.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, staying home seems to work a lot better than going home. Wings have Abdelkader and DeKeyser, both Michigan boys who started their careers and spent their entire careers with the organization. Dylan Larkin is a Detroit area boy who is a top Wings prospect tearing it up in Ann Arbor.

...Then you've got Mike Modano's triumphant return to Michigan.

and leaving the pressure of home certainly worked for 1 canuck in the past (prior to the free agency era)

:pout: