• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I've heard way more Phaneuf-to-Detroit rumours than I'm guessing Red Wings fans are comfortable with.

I think Detroit needs a defenceman, but I also though letting Hudler and Filppula walk for nothing was a dumb thing to do (not to mention signing Weiss, but...). Holland plays by his own rules, logic be damned. If Detroit does nothing and winds up a first round victim, nobody will question anything and the excuse will be "youth movement" rather than "stubborn GM wasting a season".
Not judging but are leafs fans even allowed to critic other teams GM's?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman says he is hearing Bryan Allen's name is linked to the Flames. Oh my, maybe we should check on Dana Murzyn as well (leave no stone unturned).

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friedman says he is hearing Bryan Allen's name is linked to the Flames. Oh my, maybe we should check on Dana Murzyn as well (leave no stone unturned).

where is bryan allen anyways? lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha. You've heard Phaneuf-to-everywhere rumors because Leafland is praying someone will take him. It's very quiet on this side of the fence, my friend.

I think Holland doesn't have to make a move and the Wings could still make a deep run. All four forward lines can score and play defense. Howard has been a top ten goalie with guys in front of him this year and there are no shootouts in the postseason [praise Christ!]. The main weakness of this team has really been not quite finding the right guy to pair with Smith. They've rotated Kindl, Lashoff, Ouellet and Marchenko in with him and it's just not quite clicking. If they get that 3rd D-pair clicking and everyone healthy, the Wings will be a very tough out in the playoffs.
I've heard it from states-based sources, including Lebrun. Besides, why would I trust Canada-based sources less? Anyway, if Clarkson can be moved, who the hell is anybody to tell me Celine can't, and Detroit is one of the teams I've seen come up repeatedly. Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't like the way Detroit matches up with either Montreal or Tampa, and since they'll be playing one of those teams in the first round and they are yet to beat either this season (they still have 3 games combined vs. those two, but TB in particular has smacked them around) and since Howard has never taken a team past the second round, I don't like their chances. :2cents:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard it from states-based sources, including Lebrun. Besides, why would I trust Canada-based sources less? Anyway, if Clarkson can be moved, who the hell is anybody to tell me Celine can't, and Detroit is one of the teams I've seen come up repeatedly. Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't like the way Detroit matches up with either Montreal or Tampa, and since they'll be playing one of those teams in the first round and they are yet to beat either this season (they still have 3 games combined vs. those two, but TB in particular has smacked them around) and since Howard has never taken a team past the second round, I don't like their chances. :2cents:

Yeah I've seen it in some reputable sources, that said...could be MLSE intentionally forcing some of that into the open.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I've seen it in some reputable sources, that said...could be MLSE intentionally forcing some of that into the open.
Could be. Could be that GM's will always surprise you with their stupidity.

Jarmo was talking about Clarkson's "grit, leadership, toughness..." yesterday. Like that's the reason they traded for his ass.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay, so let's play GM for a moment. Your objective is to trade Phaneuf to Detroit, whose on the hook for $7M/y until my 6th grade daughter graduates high school. How do you realistically make that happen now and for the future, fitting the trade inside the salary cap for both teams and making it a fair trade for both sides? Go.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so let's play GM for a moment. Your objective is to trade Phaneuf to Detroit, whose on the hook for $7M/y until my 6th grade daughter graduates high school. How do you realistically make that happen now and for the future, fitting the trade inside the salary cap for both teams and making it a fair trade for both sides? Go.
I don't know. But David Clarkson, semi-pro hockey player making $5.5 million against the cap and even more on salary/bonuses through 2020, was traded yesterday for a LTIR player. Anything is possible and nothing will ever ever surprise me again.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. But David Clarkson, semi-pro hockey player making $5.5 million against the cap and even more on salary/bonuses through 2020, was traded yesterday for a LTIR player. Anything is possible and nothing will ever ever surprise me again.

At least now, before the deadline, the only way I see Phaneuf become a Wing is if Nonis was willing to import other contract mistakes in return, such as (Franzen or Weiss) and Kindl. At least the total cap hits would be close.

Aside from the financial dilemma, Phaneuf is basically the same player as Brendan Smith. The Wings don't really need a big-bodied left-shot defenseman who likes to drift out of good defensive positioning and make boneheaded decisions with the puck, especially when they're trying to find good linemate for one.

Now if Kronwall happens to blow out a knee tomorrow in Nashville the story might change, but my guess is even if that did happen, they'd just up the ante for a guy like Wisniewski or Yandle over Phaneuf.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm late to the party, but the Clarkson trade was very shrewd. Win win for the teams involved. Goes to show that even the worst contacts might have value somewhere.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if Kronwall happens to blow out a knee tomorrow in Nashville the story might change, but my guess is even if that did happen, they'd just up the ante for a guy like Wisniewski or Yandle over Phaneuf.

Which is why I am hoping/expecting to see Celine return to Calgary, replacing Giordano.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys! I had the most horrible nightmare. I dreamed that Jarmo was body snatched and he...

fuck.

What in the actual fuck?

Did I just read that Columbus traded Horton for Clarkson? With no salary retained by the Leafs? What... how... why?

I don't see the upside for Columbus with this move.

The spin, and it's very thin at this point, is that since Horton's contract was not insured the Jackets were having some trouble paying it. They are not super rich and can't just throw 5 mil at nothing. They had to find a player that can (almost) play who has an equal dud of a contract so if they have to pay money, at least they get a warm body on the ice.

And they are also saying that in the Jackets system that Clarkson could get back to what made him so attractive to the Leafs in the first place. Time will tell. I also think that live monkeys will fly out of my derriere.

The best case scenario is that he has been brought in (with an insured contract) to be a sacrifice to the heathen God that has been picking off Jackets players, one by one.

It just dawned on me that the Blue Jackets, owned by Nationwide Insurance, couldn't insure Horton's contract. Think about that for a minute.

Nationwide does not own the Jackets. They built and used to own the arena. That's it.

They are owned by Worthington Steel. An infusion of cash from Nationwide or someone else would be quite nice right now.

Everybody who's GM just traded the worst contract in the NHL, raise your hand.

:attention:

Does it count if my GM traded the second worst one? I mean, I won't raise my hand. I can, like nod or something.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson will wear number 18.

He's going to have to work hard to live up to the legacy of RJ Umberger.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clarkson will wear number 18.

He's going to have to work hard to live up to the legacy of RJ Umberger.

Am I the only one who kinda hopes Clarkson pots 2 goals and an assist with 4 hits, 4 blocked shots and a +4 rating in his very first game with the Blue Jackets just to watch the reaction of Leaf fans?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who kinda hopes Clarkson pots 5 goals and an assist with 5 hits, 5 blocked shots and a +5 rating in his very first game with the Blue Jackets just to watch the reaction of Leaf fans?

To be known as the Dave Clarkson Five.