• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about moving forwards at this point - the best time to move him would be in the offseason - they should be looking at getting rental forwards

Maybe they look at doing a two for one deal where they get, let's say Joel Ward and another forward for Patrick Sharp?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, if I'm the Caps...not sure I do that. But, that's IMO. I think Ward brings an important factor into play: physicality. He scores too. In fact, he has more goals this year than Sharp does, although Sharp has more points overall.

EDIT: Totally forgot about his injury, that would probably make the goals a wash. While Ward is a UFA, and Sharp isn't, I'd still probably be hesitant to mess with the mojo too much in WSH.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if I'm the Caps...not sure I do that. But, that's IMO. I think Ward brings an important factor into play: physicality. He scores too. In fact, he has more goals this year than Sharp does, although Sharp has more points overall.

Maybe the Caps might be planning on trading a pick for a guy like Vermette, which I guess would even things out?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Caps might be planning on trading a pick for a guy like Vermette, which I guess would even things out?

Certainly possible (although I think most teams should steer clear of Vermette right now, because the price is probably silly for what he brings). The Caps have about $2M in space from what I can see, and a straight up Ward-Sharp swap wouldn't be enough, as Ward's hit is $3M and Sharp's $5.9M. Not sure the implications on Chicago if they were to bring on more salary in the form of a guy like Green either. I know they have space, but NHL Numbers has them at about $330k, and they list Kane as on LTIR. Not entirely sure how NHL Numbers works their stuff though, because Kane's cap is $6.5M, and Timmonen's they just added is $828K (wait...seriously?!), etc etc.

Okay. Collecting thoughts: Chicago has $331K in cap space, and $1.576M in LTIR relief. So, Just under $2M I guess we can say.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly possible (although I think most teams should steer clear of Vermette right now, because the price is probably silly for what he brings). The Caps have about $2M in space from what I can see, and a straight up Ward-Sharp swap wouldn't be enough, as Ward's hit is $3M and Sharp's $5.9M. Not sure the implications on Chicago if they were to bring on more salary in the form of a guy like Green either. I know they have space, but NHL Numbers has them at about $330k, and they list Kane as on LTIR. Not entirely sure how NHL Numbers works their stuff though, because Kane's cap is $6.5M, and Timmonen's they just added is $828K (wait...seriously?!), etc etc.

Okay. Collecting thoughts: Chicago has $331K in cap space, and $1.576M in LTIR relief. So, Just under $2M I guess we can say.

Yeah there would have to be multiple deals for it to work with the Caps

I'll be interested to see what happens, I think teams are going to get creative here

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there would have to be multiple deals for it to work with the Caps

I'll be interested to see what happens, I think teams are going to get creative here

The cap has made it tough on a lot of teams the past few years, but especially right now. Kane going down may have been a blessing in disguise of Chicago...I'll be interested to see if they simply go balls to the wall with that little bit of wiggle room now, or think more about next year...when those 10.5M hit deals for Kane/Toews kick in.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have some UFA's coming up like Oduya and Rozsival so they can just plug in some young guys like TVR on the blueline and of course up front, Teuvo Time should be one of the regulars going forward

I don't think the cap should be a problem because it will end up forcing their hands - I think assets and being able to have as many picks as possible is key because if you're going to be up near the cap, those young players with entry level deals are important

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the more I think about the Hawks situation, the more I wonder what the hell they're going to pull.

Signed for next year:
9F, 4D, 2G
Signed at:
$65.426M

That's without Saad getting a nice pay increase.

I mean...woof.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, the more I think about the Hawks situation, the more I wonder what the hell they're going to pull.

Signed for next year:
9F, 4D, 2G
Signed at:
$65.426M

That's without Saad getting a nice pay increase.

I mean...woof.

I know it would be rather tough to do, but they might have to move Marian Hossa too

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it would be rather tough to do, but they might have to move Marian Hossa too

If they want to keep Saad, yeah. Saad is probably going to get one of those player's money alone. Then the other would have to move to simply fill out the D.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to keep Saad, yeah. Saad is probably going to get one of those player's money alone. Then the other would have to move to simply fill out the D.

I know people have talked about Corey Crawford too but I doubt they'd move him, however 6 million is a lot per year though

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know people have talked about Corey Crawford too but I doubt they'd move him, however 6 million is a lot per year though

Yeah, he's overpaid for what he is...however, that's pretty much the market for an above average starting goalie. And I'm pretty sure the UFA market next year is Niemi. Which isn't a bad pick (hey, worked for them once!), but he'll probably command a similar amount. At least close to it.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he's overpaid for what he is...however, that's pretty much the market for an above average starting goalie. And I'm pretty sure the UFA market next year is Niemi. Which isn't a bad pick (hey, worked for them once!), but he'll probably command a similar amount. At least close to it.

They could always trade Antti Raanta and get help at forward or defense, since they signed Scott Darling to an extension

That being said, having three goalies who are NHL caliber would be a nice thing to have

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could always trade Antti Raanta and get help at forward or defense, since they signed Scott Darling to an extension

That being said, having three goalies who are NHL caliber would be a nice thing to have

I know nothing about Darling...but I feel like I wouldn't trust him as with a significant work load.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey now...the last wife stealer on the team didn't go so hot.

Jeff Carter didn't suck because he's a wife stealer. He sucked because he is a terrible human being.