• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015-16 NBA Western Conference OFFICIAL THREAD

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a couple of things. First of all, no one has suggested that if he does his shimmy thing at all in the playoffs that he'll get clobbered for it. What has been said is that it's likely to happen if he starts doing it too early in a series. If he's doing it, for example, in game 2, he may end up getting clobbered. If he does it in a closeout game, he probably doesn't (unless Andrew Bynum is playing and does what he did to JJ Barea).

As much as I hate Lebron's monster walk, chest beating thing (which I think just looks stupid), I don't really recall him doing it early in a playoff series.

The playoffs are a completely different animal. What you see right now is the Warriors having fun through an ordinarily mundane regular season. Anything to keep themselves motivated and playing well is being done. When the playoff comes, these guys are going to get locked in. The playoffs are a grind. I wouldn't expect to see any real overzealous celebrations. You didn't see Curry celebrate like that at all last year in the playoffs and I wouldn't expect to see it this year.

Everyone thinks the what Curry and the Warriors do are new, but it's not. They did the EXACT same thing last year and in previous years. Where do you think Curry got the shimmy from? Mark Jackson, his former head coach. He has been doing this The only difference is this year they have much more exposure. You didn't see the Warriors over-celebrating or doing anything out of line the playoffs. It's safe to say they likely won't this year either.

Also BK said in his post that if Curry did this in the playoffs it would incite a fight. So that's where I was going with that.

The biggest difference here is that no one cared what the Warriors did when they were 45-37. Now that they're winning on a historic pace, everyone is angry about everything.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, to say that players should or even suggest they would maliciously hurt him because of it is crossing a line. Those type of players don't belong in professional sports.

Calm your Mommy instincts. No one is saying that they would maliciously hurt him. They are saying that he could get fouled a little harder because of it. No one is trying to hurt anyone when they do that, they are sending a message. It's been part of the NBA for as long as there has been an NBA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playoffs are a completely different animal. What you see right now is the Warriors having fun through an ordinarily mundane regular season. Anything to keep themselves motivated and playing well is being done. When the playoff comes, these guys are going to get locked in. The playoffs are a grind. I wouldn't expect to see any real overzealous celebrations. You didn't see Curry celebrate like that at all last year in the playoffs and I wouldn't expect to see it this year.

Everyone thinks the what Curry and the Warriors do are new, but it's not. They did the EXACT same thing last year and in previous years. Where do you think Curry got the shimmy from? Mark Jackson, his former head coach. He has been doing this The only difference is this year they have much more exposure. You didn't see the Warriors over-celebrating or doing anything out of line the playoffs. It's safe to say they likely won't this year either.

Also BK said in his post that if Curry did this in the playoffs it would incite a fight. So that's where I was going with that.

The biggest difference here is that no one cared what the Warriors did when they were 45-37. Now that they're winning on a historic pace, everyone is angry about everything.

That's the point that bks was making. The playoffs are a different animal. In the regular season, nothing really gets done about it because of the exact reasons you mentioned. It's fun and 82 games makes for a long season. Hell, as bad as the Lakers are, their players celebrate good plays, and rare wins.

In the playoffs, things get serious, guys get chippy and stuff that was tolerated in the regular season, is no longer tolerated. You and LAD are acting like bks is saying there's going to be an effort to actually injure him and that's not what is being suggested at all.

And people didn't care when the Warriors were 45-37 because they weren't bitching about other teams doing it and they weren't trying to take credit away from teams that beat them. This year, they have done both.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point that bks was making. The playoffs are a different animal. In the regular season, nothing really gets done about it because of the exact reasons you mentioned. It's fun and 82 games makes for a long season. Hell, as bad as the Lakers are, their players celebrate good plays, and rare wins.

In the playoffs, things get serious, guys get chippy and stuff that was tolerated in the regular season, is no longer tolerated. You and LAD are acting like bks is saying there's going to be an effort to actually injure him and that's not what is being suggested at all.

And people didn't care when the Warriors were 45-37 because they weren't bitching about other teams doing it and they weren't trying to take credit away from teams that beat them. This year, they have done both.

You must be a Warriors hater as well I'm assuming? :heh:

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm your Mommy instincts. No one is saying that they would maliciously hurt him. They are saying that he could get fouled a little harder because of it. No one is trying to hurt anyone when they do that, they are sending a message. It's been part of the NBA for as long as there has been an NBA.
I'm pretty sure that saying he would be knocked into the stands would interpret malicious acts. Isn't that what a flagrant foul indicates? I mean how hard would you have to foul someone to knock them into the stands???

Honestly, I think people only think this could happen because Steph isn't the biggest guy & he's not a thug. But I honestly doubt anyone would be thinking about knocking Cousins into the stands when he celebrates. SMH

My point is I hate that people can't congratulate a job well done. It isn't like they cheated their way to the top. Everything they're experiencing is because of hard work so some celebrating should be tolerated. I think this is even worse though when it comes from fans. Why even watch the sport if you can't take other teams winning?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. I would wholeheartedly be shocked if they continued to celebrate when it comes to the playoff grind.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Listen, we just see things from different perspectives. And to your other point, it was in fact the suggestion when he said it would cause a fight.

And the finger could just as easily be pointed at other teams complaining...I mean the Warriors didn't lose until 25 games into the season so they couldn't have been the first to complain. :heh:

Which teams did they try to take credit from after a loss? What comments were made to suggest that?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that saying he would be knocked into the stands would interpret malicious acts. Isn't that what a flagrant foul indicates? I mean how hard would you have to foul someone to knock them into the stands???

:L It was Charles Barkley that said that and he was exaggerating to make a point and be humorous as he always does. No one is saying that someone is going to literally knock him into the stands.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L It was Charles Barkley that said that and he was exaggerating to make a point and be humorous as he always does. No one is saying that someone is going to literally knock him into the stands.

Try to explain this last night.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I get that Barkley is stupid, and that most people take what he says with a grain of salt anyway. But not BK, especially after he's admitted to not having a sense of humor! :D

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, we just see things from different perspectives. And to your other point, it was in fact the suggestion when he said it would cause a fight.

And the finger could just as easily be pointed at other teams complaining...I mean the Warriors didn't lose until 25 games into the season so they couldn't have been the first to complain. :heh:

Which teams did they try to take credit from after a loss? What comments were made to suggest that?

No. Suggesting there would be a fight and saying that he would be fouled hard are not suggesting that anyone would be looking to injure him.

I don't recall anyone complaining about the Warriors celebrating. If they did, it didn't make the news like it did when the Warriors complained about the Bucks. So yeah, it looks like the Warriors were the first to complain.

At least twice this season, Klay has said the Warriors beat themselves rather than give credit to the team that beat them. The first time was when the Bucks beat them. His comments have been posted on these boards.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I get that Barkley is stupid, and that most people take what he says with a grain of salt anyway. But not BK, especially after he's admitted to not having a sense of humor! :D

He is a bit of a humorless bastid. :heh:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Suggesting there would be a fight and saying that he would be fouled hard are not suggesting that anyone would be looking to injure him.

I don't recall anyone complaining about the Warriors celebrating. If they did, it didn't make the news like it did when the Warriors complained about the Bucks. So yeah, it looks like the Warriors were the first to complain.

At least twice this season, Klay has said the Warriors beat themselves rather than give credit to the team that beat them. The first time was when the Bucks beat them. His comments have been posted on these boards.
I think there's a fine line when they give their comments. I mean, is he supposed to not say they beat themselves even when they know that's probably the truth-for fear of someone taking offense to it? I think that's ridiculous. Now had he said something out of line & a direct disrespect to the Bucks then I could understand & would probably agree with you.

On the other side of that coin I have heard Klay, Curry & Dray give credit to a team that has beaten them or come close to beating them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get a kick out of Sir Charles. Always have. But pretty much everything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt because he's usually exaggerating in some way to be entertaining.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get a kick out of Sir Charles. Always have. But pretty much everything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt because he's usually exaggerating in some way to be entertaining.
Exactly. We crack up every time he goes on his rants just hoping that one time he will finish just one of the sentences he starts. But every time he talks the only thing I hear is- Kobe Bryant 40 point- and nobody even asked him anything about Kobe. And of course that's just one example. There are many to recite. :pound:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a fine line when they give their comments. I mean, is he supposed to not say they beat themselves even when they know that's probably the truth-for fear of someone taking offense to it? I think that's ridiculous. Now had he said something out of line & a direct disrespect to the Bucks then I could understand & would probably agree with you.

On the other side of that coin I have heard Klay, Curry & Dray give credit to a team that has beaten them or come close to beating them.

It's not a fine line at all. It's called winning with class. You give credit to your opponent for beating you. What's wrong with simply saying "they outplayed us"? Which, is exactly what happened. It doesn't matter if it was because they had an off night shooting or made a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes. Bottom line is, they got outplayed and that's really all that needs to be said.

There's no need to be disrespectful to an opponent by claiming that they just beat themselves and the opponent had nothing to do with it.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a fine line at all. It's called winning with class. You give credit to your opponent for beating you. What's wrong with simply saying "they outplayed us"? Which, is exactly what happened. It doesn't matter if it was because they had an off night shooting or made a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes. Bottom line is, they got outplayed and that's really all that needs to be said.

There's no need to be disrespectful to an opponent by claiming that they just beat themselves and the opponent had nothing to do with it.
I think the fact that they got outplayed was very clear and no explanation was needed. The explanation needed was in regards to their own performance. And maybe their mindset-because clearly they've been on another planet in terms of their level of play-was that every game is theirs to lose. There is nothing wrong with that.

I honestly think that this is as much as a mind game as it is a physical one. So maybe he was licking his wounds a little bit-but that wasn't a disrespect to the Bucks, imo. I took that as him basically saying they didn't play to their OWN standards.

Saying that they are classless when they lose is a stretch. I think that label should be reserved for players that leave the court after a game without shaking hands with the winners (LBJ I'm looking at you!). I think a team or it's players that leave the court before the game is finished because of a bad loss is another example of that (yea Isaiah Thomas!).

The Warriors actually shook hands with Portland after that horrific loss-their worst all season. Steph congratulated Damian on his outstanding game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying that they are classless when they lose is a stretch.

Didn't say that. Said that what Klay said was classless because it was. That doesn't mean that's how they always react or that Klay is always classless. It's how they reacted in that particular instance.

To be fair, I'm old school. I'm from the "act like you've been there before and expect to be again, now get off my lawn" era. I don't like celebrating by anyone outside of maybe a fist pump or high 5 with a teammate and I don't like players making excuses and/or not giving credit to an opponent that beat them.