• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants interest in Lester would be right up the Giants alley as they seem to piece meal much of their lineup together around some great pitching.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In doing a comparison of how Yang and Hyun-Jin Ryu pitched in Korea it doesn't look so well for Yang's success over here. Hyun-Jin Ryu's ERA went up when he came here and if Yang's does the same he isn't better than a #5 starter or a very poor #4 as his ERA would probably go up to about 4.70. The same thing happened to Ryu's WHIP and if that happens to Yang his WHIP might be close to 1.60. That certainly isn't a fool proof way to judge how Yang will do, but when doing so it really makes you wonder how much success he could have over here. That doesn't even take into account the difference between Ryu pitching in the NL and Yang pitching in the AL. Yet some project him as a #3 or even a #2.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager owes a large portion of that money to the Rangers pitching staff the past two seasons.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager owes a large portion of that money to the Rangers pitching staff the past two seasons.

We were just allowing that to happen so that his value would be over inflated and the Mariners would sign him for more than he is worth. LOL!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were just allowing that to happen so that his value would be over inflated and the Mariners would sign him for more than he is worth. LOL!

That is some genius counter strategy. Jack Z couldn't help himself.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many flat fastballs did that fucker see the past two seasons? Dude was doing to us what Trout had been doing to everyone else.

What I want to know is why in the fuck did we pitch to him? It's like focusing on something you don't want to run into. You're going to because you're focusing on it. Every ranger pitcher knew he owned us and every one of them have him a fastball on the inside half of the plate.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In doing a comparison of how Yang and Hyun-Jin Ryu pitched in Korea it doesn't look so well for Yang's success over here. Hyun-Jin Ryu's ERA went up when he came here and if Yang's does the same he isn't better than a #5 starter or a very poor #4 as his ERA would probably go up to about 4.70. The same thing happened to Ryu's WHIP and if that happens to Yang his WHIP might be close to 1.60. That certainly isn't a fool proof way to judge how Yang will do, but when doing so it really makes you wonder how much success he could have over here. That doesn't even take into account the difference between Ryu pitching in the NL and Yang pitching in the AL. Yet some project him as a #3 or even a #2.

Yang, who will be 27 in March, posted a 4.25 ERA with 8.6 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9 in 165 innings in Korea in 2014. Those numbers don’t sound that impressive at first, but each team scores an average of 5.63 runs per game in the offense-heavy KBO, far higher than in the Majors, and Yang’s season earned him the KBO’s equivalent of the Cy Young award. Yang is viewed as a mid-rotation starter with No. 2 starter upside, the New York Daily News’ Mark Feinsand reports. Yang has a smooth delivery and throws 92-95 MPH.

I also read somewhere but can't find it now that the league he pitched in has been using a juiced ball. Ryu has not pitched the ball that Yang did last season to my knowledge. I don't think you can really say how he compares until all factors are the same.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yang, who will be 27 in March, posted a 4.25 ERA with 8.6 K/9 and 4.0 BB/9 in 165 innings in Korea in 2014. Those numbers don’t sound that impressive at first, but each team scores an average of 5.63 runs per game in the offense-heavy KBO, far higher than in the Majors, and Yang’s season earned him the KBO’s equivalent of the Cy Young award. Yang is viewed as a mid-rotation starter with No. 2 starter upside, the New York Daily News’ Mark Feinsand reports. Yang has a smooth delivery and throws 92-95 MPH.

I also read somewhere but can't find it now that the league he pitched in has been using a juiced ball. Ryu has not pitched the ball that Yang did last season to my knowledge. I don't think you can really say how he compares until all factors are the same.

Furthermore, Byung-Hyun Kim and Chan Ho Park both had lower ERA's in MLB than they did in Korea. Using Ryu's small uptick in ERA as proof that Yang's would balloon to 4.70 (random) is a bit of a reach.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His numbers actually improved slightly overall this season with the juiced ball. So his career ERA was actually higher without the juiced ball. If you throw the year with the juiced ball out he compares even less favorably.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His numbers actually improved slightly overall this season with the juiced ball. So his career ERA was actually higher without the juiced ball. If you throw the year with the juiced ball out he compares even less favorably.[

I mean who really knows, even scouts are usually on the fence with these players coming from different countries and leagues. You won't know how he will fare until you see results in MLB IMO. I also read something about him pitching some ridiculous amount of innings as well. Like 1720 1/3 or something?

I can say this, based on the posting fee I don't see the player as a savior by any means. Bottom line is if that's the best the organization is going to do to sure up pitching I'm hopeful nonetheless. If he's a 4-5 guy in the rotation we can use him.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furthermore, Byung-Hyun Kim and Chan Ho Park both had lower ERA's in MLB than they did in Korea. Using Ryu's small uptick in ERA as proof that Yang's would balloon to 4.70 (random) is a bit of a reach.

Both Kim and Park didn't pitch in Korea until the very end of their careers if I am correct. That would make for a bad comparison. Ryu and Yang spent about the same amount of time in Korea at about the same ages and very close to the same time period. Also, describing Ryu's increase as a "small uptick" and my estimate of Yang's ERA as ballooning is misleading in that they are close to being the same amount of an increase.

All of that being the case I very well may be wrong about using that kind of a comparison. I do remember doing the same thing when we were pursuing Yu though. I compared him and Colby as both had pitched in Japan close to the same time and looking at the amount Colby's numbers had changed I thought Yu would be a very good pitcher over here if his numbers changed in a similar fashion. That kind of comparison worked great in that case so I thought I would try it again now. That doesn't mean it is an accurate method though.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His numbers actually improved slightly overall this season with the juiced ball. So his career ERA was actually higher without the juiced ball. If you throw the year with the juiced ball out he compares even less favorably.

How much would they have improved without the juiced ball? Conceivably more one would guess? One would assume that he has progressed in the last few years much like a Derek Holland has as he has gotten more innings and older. One would assume he continues to progress. Just comparing ages being similar, though I still say the leagues are drastically different and there is really no comparison that can be assumed until the guy faces MLB talent.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much would they have improved without the juiced ball? Conceivably more one would guess? One would assume that he has progressed in the last few years much like a Derek Holland has as he has gotten more innings and older. One would assume he continues to progress. Just comparing ages being similar, though I still say the leagues are drastically different and there is really no comparison that can be assumed until the guy faces MLB talent.

True, he might have improved even more. I was basing it on their career stats though and those situations are very similar. However, it is far from a proven method of comparison. It may not be valid at all.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot stove on mlb network is reporting that the rangers interested in michael saunders.