• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Yeah, there's going to be speculation, that's the nature of the business and the nature of our side of the business and (the media's) side of the business," Daniels said Friday. "Nothing you can really do about that. We are obviously committed to Elvis both figuratively and literally. He's 25, 26 years old, and this guy's best baseball is ahead of him."

"He's very much focused, motivated, whatever the word is to put last year behind him and out to prove he's one of the best shortstops in the game, which I believe he is," Daniels said.

GM Jon Daniels: Texas Rangers committed to Elvis Andrus - ESPN Dallas

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some options are worse than "sitting on our hands". I certainly don't want them to make a move just for the sake of making one. That is what we did with Berkman and given his massive and long contract pretty much what we did in acquiring Choo as well.

I'd rather give youth a shot (and probably similar results) along with better health than overspend on similar results and then have injuries happen and have it be a lost season anyway

So yea, I agree

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"That's a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there." I know he is quite a talent but to me that is insane. And I hope he is okay mentally and physically after that terrible beaning last year. But 13 years. Man, I just do not know about that.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"That's a pretty big matzo ball hanging out there." I know he is quite a talent but to me that is insane. And I hope he is okay mentally and physically after that terrible beaning last year. But 13 years. Man, I just do not know about that.
Been smh. Crazy stuff.:scratch:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. I'm on board with Rev and others as absolutely loving Stanton, but 325 Million (especially for a mid-market team) on any one player is insanity. Stanton is an absolute beast and worth a ton of money, but committing 13 years and over 300 Million to a guy who hasn't exactly been Mr. Durability is just foolish. Even if he tears it up for all 13 years, that contract could cripple that franchise.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some options are worse than "sitting on our hands". I certainly don't want them to make a move just for the sake of making one. That is what we did with Berkman and given his massive and long contract pretty much what we did in acquiring Choo as well.
:agree: The Choo signing is particularly troubling since it now looks like Martin may well be leading off. And especially since we are so hamstrung financially this year it seems.

Of course hindsight is 20 / 20.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: The Choo signing is particularly troubling since it now looks like Martin may well be leading off. And especially since we are so hamstrung financially this year it seems.

Of course hindsight is 20 / 20.

Why does the possibility of Martin leading off matter? We would just drop Choo down to 3 or 5 in the order. Choo/Beltre/Fielder sounds good to me.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does the possibility of Martin leading off matter? We would just drop Choo down to 3 or 5 in the order. Choo/Beltre/Fielder sounds good to me.

bc a large part of choo's value was predicated on him being the lead off hitter

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bc a large part of choo's value was predicated on him being the lead off hitter

That's only part of the story. His real value was in his OBP and ops. Both would play well in the middle of the order.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was interesting. Maybe you will too.

So the Rangers stopped short of any news conference in announcing three-year extensions (through the 2018 season) for Daniels and Levine. In fact, it was originally assumed they were getting five-year deals, which I think would have a bit too much for Rangers fans to digest after a 95-loss season.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

11:20pm: The opt-out clause being negotiated is expected to become effective after the 2019 season, tweets Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com. That would essentially make the deal a five-year pact that provides Stanton an eight-year player option, which would be a unique arrangement. Most recently agreed-upon opt-out clauses can be exercised after the bulk of the contract has already been performed.

What a deal for Stanton. Every year he can either make a ton of money there, or decide to make a ton of money elsewhere.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't understand this signing at all.

First, 13 years and that amount of money is hamstringing future moves, regardless of how well or often he plays.

Second, it makes him untradable, due to this commitment.

Third, fans won't show up if the team doesn't have overwhelming success, and there's a lot of debate regarding if the city even wants a team there or not. Wins be damned.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11:20pm: The opt-out clause being negotiated is expected to become effective after the 2019 season, tweets Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com. That would essentially make the deal a five-year pact that provides Stanton an eight-year player option, which would be a unique arrangement. Most recently agreed-upon opt-out clauses can be exercised after the bulk of the contract has already been performed.

What a deal for Stanton. Every year he can either make a ton of money there, or decide to make a ton of money elsewhere.

Ain't that the truth.

It's still a horrible deal for the Marlins IMO.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Preller the GM now of the Padres that should be one less team for the Angels to trade with as they seem to trade with SD and Arizona quite often.

Also in regards to Preller and JD becoming trade buddies Preller of course will have an advantage of the Rangers organization in depth compared to JD's knowledge of San Diego. Not saying that will be a problem but Preller may be able to really hone in on what he might want from the Rangers. Hoping this turns out to be beneficial for the Rangers at times.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Preller the GM now of the Padres that should be one less team for the Angels to trade with as they seem to trade with SD and Arizona quite often.

Also in regards to Preller and JD becoming trade buddies Preller of course will have an advantage of the Rangers organization in depth compared to JD's knowledge of San Diego. Not saying that will be a problem but Preller may be able to really hone in on what he might want from the Rangers. Hoping this turns out to be beneficial for the Rangers at times.

I've never been a real fan of winning or losing when it comes to trades. Meaning that it's a business deal of two trade partners, and I'd rather both teams be honest with each other up front, get what/whom they're looking for and then let the chips fall where they may.

Your thinking of Preller having the upper hand of knowledge certainly makes a lot of sense. All the more reason to have a good scouting department.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

neither do i. i want just smart moves

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Thank you for explaining what I failed to. Now if we could only find someone to bat in the 2 hole
My point was only if we knew Martin was capable of batting first would we have gone after Choo and avoided that big contract and not be so financially strapped this year.

Of course it's a mute point now.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was only if we knew Martin was capable of batting first would we have gone after Choo and avoided that big contract and not be so financially strapped this year.

Of course it's a mute point now.

Oh ok. Yeah I don't know that we would have, but we did need an OFer. OBP translates no matter where he bats. I'm not worried about Choo at all. He was awesome until the injury. Who knows if Banister even likes Martin leading off.