• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the time guys who make statements like that that are empty and devoid of reasoning cannot answer anything in return so the conversation usually doesn't get very far.

Like Romeo said, the guy will show up when things aren't good and disappear when they are going well. He's an endless supply of one liners and mud slung from the sidelines

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I find hilarious is that people who would talk this way about JD and probably call him a backstabber conveniently forget how Nolan pushed out Greenberg as soon as they owned the team.

There is only one person I remember who really despised JD on the boards. Haven't seen him sign up under his old ESPN name, though.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Cowlishaw on Maddon and the Rangers:

Maddon has taken the cash-strapped Rays to the playoffs four times in the past seven years. His teams have won 90 games five times in that span. He has been named A.L. Manager of the Year twice since 2008.

That's why everyone wants him. So what in the world would make Maddon say, "You know, I really want to go where half the roster was on the disabled list in 2014"?

That just would not happen.

If I were looking for a one year stopgap, that's exactly what I would want. A team that could easily go from nearly last to first through nothing but health. :)

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from T.R. Sullivan:

Do you think the Rangers will be in the market for the big free agents now that the new television contract starts in 2015?
-- Chris M., Lubbock, Texas

The Rangers have shown in the past they are always candidates to compete for big free agents despite the inherent risks involved. But the word is the TV money is already spoken for with Shin-Soo Choo and others. One of the Rangers goals this offseason needs to be elevating the floor of their ballclub, meaning adding depth as much as big name players. If you look at Tigers outfielder J.D. Martinez, Orioles infielder Steve Pearce and Mariners pitcher Chris Young, sometimes the players who have significant impact are the ones found on the discard pile.

Do you see Mitch Moreland having a future with the Rangers after all his injuries?
-- Denise P., Dallas

It's interesting that Moreland and Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer have almost the same career OPS. Hosmer has a .747 OPS in 570 career games while Moreland has a .746. Hosmer strikes out a little less than Moreland and is four years younger, but their numbers are similar. Moreland just hasn't stayed healthy like Hosmer has in his career. But if the Rangers are focusing on pitching this offseason, then they'll need to strongly consider what role Moreland could play on next year's team, perhaps in a platoon DH arrangement with Ryan Rua.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to getting the WS over so the official Hot Stove season can begin. It is always interesting to see what kind of moves are made and to see which teams decide to get active in improving their team. It is also intereting to see some of the humourous trade scenarios and free agent wish lists from fans. I am particularly interested in the two forms of double speak from some of the fans. First there are the fans who have a list in mind of their least favorite players on their team and want to trade them. They find all sorts of reasons why those players would be valuable to another team, but no reasons why the Rangers should keep them. Then there is the opposite case where some fans have their list of their favorite players on their team. They have all kinds of reasons why the Rangers should keep those players and all kinds of reasons why no other team would want those players bad enough to trade for them. This one was big on the ESPN board 2 offseasons ago.

Of course there is the usual case of some fans wanting to trade 3 or 4 of our mediocre or worse players for a very good player on another team. Although, a few of us might remember the Rangers making the reverse of that kind of trade when we traded Jeff Burroughs for a collection of spares from Atlanta. The Juan Gonzalez trade was close to being in that category as well.

Let's get this silly WS thing over with and let the real fun begin.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Calvin Watkins:

We take a look at five Texas Rangers who are participating in winter ball.

*Jake Smolinski, LF: Playing in the Mexican leagues, Smolinski has 10 RBIs on the season, all with runners in scoring position. Overall, Smolinski is hitting .276/.333/.414. He missed a good portion of the Rangers season with a small fracture in his foot but once he returned, he displayed good speed and ability to hit the ball consistently. He will compete for a starting job, left field, or could become the No. 4 outfielder in 2015.

*Tomas Telis, C: The switch-hitting catcher is in Venezuela and currently has a five-game hitting streak. He has just three RBIs the last 10 games and is hitting .265/.350/.441. Telis is the projected No. 2 catcher for 2015 and the Rangers were impressed with how he called a game. Telis just needs to work on some consistency behind the plate in terms of throwing out runners. That will happen with more opportunities.

*Roman Mendez, RHP: It's a small sampling but the reliever has pitched in just two games in the Dominican Republic. He's pitched in 1 2/3 innings, allowed one hit and struck out one. Mendez had a 2.18 ERA in 30 appearances for the Rangers in 2014 and his K/BB ratio was 1.29. Mendez has a chance to make the roster as a middle reliever, but there will be plenty of competition for those spots.

*Nick Williams, LF: He's second on the Arizona Fall League team with 25 total bases. He's hitting .267/.290/.417 in 15 games. But he's just 4-for-20 in the last five games and is just 3-for-15 vs. LHP. Williams played in 15 games for Double-A Frisco last season and most likely will start there again next season.

*Lisalverto Bonilla, RHP: He was solid in the big leagues last season, winning his first three starts and becoming the first pitcher in franchise history to do so. He's got a bright future. In three Arizona games, Bonilla has a 5.40 ERA. In his last outing on Oct. 23, he allowed four runs on seven hits with two walks and six strikeouts in 4 2/3 innings. In his previous outing on Oct. 17, Bonilla threw shutout ball for four innings, giving up just one hit with three walks and two strikeouts.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Watkins also says that Maddux describes talks with Banister about returning as "positive".

"Jeff and I have had positive talks," Maddux said briefly.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there is a way to make Maddux the highest paid pitching coach in baseball if he's not already. It'd be a sign of appreciation for what he's done to this staff since his arrival.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reports. I don't know if Smolinski is going to have the power you'd want from a COF. He could be a nice 4th OF. I liked the power Rua flashed down the stretch. Is he playing winter ball?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still dumbfounded by the news of Oscar's passing. Baseball was robbed of such a bright young life. Life is hardly fair and I think we can all attest to that, but when it happens to someone young and untouchable like Oscar is really rocks us. If someone like Oscar can be gone in the blink of an eye, what about any of us? Just sucks...We won't get to see this kid annoy us as the next great player in a long line of really good Cardinals we love to "hate."

I hope none of his teammates blame themselves either. If they had made the WS he wouldn't have been back in home country. This is that kind of of event that causes people to languish over what might of been as if we can control our fates. It sucks and baseball mourns Oscar. We hardly knew the kid, but I liked what I did know....

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said Rev. I was shocked when i heard the news yesterday. He had such a bright future in front of him.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking forward to getting the WS over so the official Hot Stove season can begin. It is always interesting to see what kind of moves are made and to see which teams decide to get active in improving their team. It is also intereting to see some of the humourous trade scenarios and free agent wish lists from fans. I am particularly interested in the two forms of double speak from some of the fans. First there are the fans who have a list in mind of their least favorite players on their team and want to trade them. They find all sorts of reasons why those players would be valuable to another team, but no reasons why the Rangers should keep them. Then there is the opposite case where some fans have their list of their favorite players on their team. They have all kinds of reasons why the Rangers should keep those players and all kinds of reasons why no other team would want those players bad enough to trade for them. This one was big on the ESPN board 2 offseasons ago.

Of course there is the usual case of some fans wanting to trade 3 or 4 of our mediocre or worse players for a very good player on another team. Although, a few of us might remember the Rangers making the reverse of that kind of trade when we traded Jeff Burroughs for a collection of spares from Atlanta. The Juan Gonzalez trade was close to being in that category as well.

Let's get this silly WS thing over with and let the real fun begin.
:agree: In many ways the best time of the season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Watkins also says that Maddux describes talks with Banister about returning as "positive".

"Jeff and I have had positive talks," Maddux said briefly.
Can't imagine what would not be positive to talk about. A great selection of a manager and the best of the best in a pitching coach. Good grief! Hardly know what there is to talk about. Sign the contract.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good reports. I don't know if Smolinski is going to have the power you'd want from a COF. He could be a nice 4th OF. I liked the power Rua flashed down the stretch. Is he playing winter ball?

I don't see Rua listed. This link shows that OF Teodoro Martinez is looking good at the plate in Venezuela. Also pitcher Josh McElwee has looked fabulous in 6 relief outings so far. Josh had 92 strikeouts in 66.2 innings this past season combined at 3 levels. He could be a bullpen piece for us in 2016.

Texas Rangers: Individual Player Winter League Statistics | MLB.com: Events

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still dumbfounded by the news of Oscar's passing. Baseball was robbed of such a bright young life. Life is hardly fair and I think we can all attest to that, but when it happens to someone young and untouchable like Oscar is really rocks us. If someone like Oscar can be gone in the blink of an eye, what about any of us? Just sucks...We won't get to see this kid annoy us as the next great player in a long line of really good Cardinals we love to "hate."

I hope none of his teammates blame themselves either. If they had made the WS he wouldn't have been back in home country. This is that kind of of event that causes people to languish over what might of been as if we can control our fates. It sucks and baseball mourns Oscar. We hardly knew the kid, but I liked what I did know....

Well said.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You reminded me of something that crossed my mind about the death of a player named Lyman Bostock. He was killed late in the 1978 season while on the road with the Angels when he was visiting where he grew up near Chicago. Bostock was a great hitter and the Rangers owner Brad Corbett wanted him very badly when he became a free agent after the 1977 season. Two great Twins hitters, Larry Hisle and Bostock, were both free agents and Corbett wanted to sign one of them. Corbett opened his mouth too soon about his plan and Commissioner Bowie Kuhn said he was tampering and ordered Corbett not to sign either player. We wound up with Richie Zisak who was a very good hitter, but not the hitter Bostock was. Bostock had been the target for the Rangers. I always wondered if Corbett hadn't have been charged with tampering if Bostock would have still been alive. Bostock was only 27 when he was shot to death. He played mainly CF and had an OPS of .897 in 1977.

Another thing about Bostock was when he got off to a terrible start in 1978 after he signed his big contract he wanted to return his April salary to the Angels, but they wouldn't take it back. He gave it to charity instead.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You reminded me of something that crossed my mind about the death of a player named Lyman Bostock. He was killed late in the 1978 season while on the road with the Angels when he was visiting where he grew up near Chicago. Bostock was a great hitter and the Rangers owner Brad Corbett wanted him very badly when he became a free agent after the 1977 season. Two great Twins hitters, Larry Hisle and Bostock, were both free agents and Corbett wanted to sign one of them. Corbett opened his mouth too soon about his plan and Commissioner Bowie Kuhn said he was tampering and ordered Corbett not to sign either player. We wound up with Richie Zisak who was a very good hitter, but not the hitter Bostock was. Bostock had been the target for the Rangers. I always wondered if Corbett hadn't have been charged with tampering if Bostock would have still been alive. Bostock was only 27 when he was shot to death. He played mainly CF and had an OPS of .897 in 1977.

Another thing about Bostock was when he got off to a terrible start in 1978 after he signed his big contract he wanted to return his April salary to the Angels, but they wouldn't take it back. He gave it to charity instead.

Fifth and Jackson - ESPN