• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two from Fraley:

Question: Do you think the Rangers will try to keep Scott Baker? I thought he did a good job when he was asked to start on short notice a couple of times. A team can always find a place for guys like that it seems to me.

Gerry Fraley: You are on the mark. The case can be made that Scott was the club's most valuable pitcher this season. He handled a variety of roles, many of which were no-win situations, and always carried himself as a true professional. Now that teams know Baker is healthy again, there will be a demand for him on the market.

Question: After he puts together a staff, what is job one for Jeff Banister?

Gerry Fraley: Build relationships with his players. That was Ron Washington's strength, getting his players to believe in him and play hard for him. I maintain that is a manager's most important job. Handling the bullpen is next.

I think they should keep Baker as well. In the majority of games he was asked to pitch in he did very well and many times in not the most ideal circumstances.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Cowlishaw on Maddon and the Rangers:

Maddon has taken the cash-strapped Rays to the playoffs four times in the past seven years. His teams have won 90 games five times in that span. He has been named A.L. Manager of the Year twice since 2008.

That's why everyone wants him. So what in the world would make Maddon say, "You know, I really want to go where half the roster was on the disabled list in 2014"?

That just would not happen.

I really don't follow Tim's logic. I don't think anyone makes decisions like that based on how many guys were on a team's disabled list in the past. I don't think Maddon would manage here simply because JD wouldn't be interested in Maddon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should keep Baker as well. In the majority of games he was asked to pitch in he did very well and many times in not the most ideal circumstances.

Yes, I hope they can find a way to bring Baker back.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't follow Tim's logic. I don't think anyone makes decisions like that based on how many guys were on a team's disabled list in the past. I don't think Maddon would manage here simply because JD wouldn't be interested in Maddon.

So Maddon wouldn't want to work with the Rangers because of bad luck? :noidea:

That was really dumb, Tim.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted part of the Cowlishaw article to see what some of ya would think of it.

Doesn't surprise me at all what I've been reading.

I very much enjoy Tim's writing and his presence on Around-the- Horn.

However, I thought his stance/vantage point on Maddon was odd at best.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that Kansas City has made it to the WS while being dead last in walks. I think walks have been vastly overrated by some who follow the sport in recent years. There is nothing more frustrating for me as a fan than to see a Ranger hitter take a first pitch fastball down the middle just for the sole purpose of "working" a pitcher and hoping to get a walk by taking more pitches. Sometimes the most hittable pitch is the first pitch from a pitcher who throws a first pitch strike. It is also frustrating to see hitters berated for swinging at the first pitch with no reference as to whether the first pitch was a strike or not. Those same people always remain silent about the practice of swinging at the first pitch when it results in a hit.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that Kansas City has made it to the WS while being dead last in walks. I think walks have been vastly overrated by some who follow the sport in recent years. There is nothing more frustrating for me as a fan than to see a Ranger hitter take a first pitch fastball down the middle just for the sole purpose of "working" a pitcher and hoping to get a walk by taking more pitches. Sometimes the most hittable pitch is the first pitch from a pitcher who throws a first pitch strike. It is also frustrating to see hitters berated for swinging at the first pitch with no reference as to whether the first pitch was a strike or not. Those same people always remain silent about the practice of swinging at the first pitch when it results in a hit.

Swinging at the first pitch is rarely a good game plan unless you're sitting on a specific pitch in a specific location. That's how you wins up letting the starter go 8 innings with 12 pitch innings.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A walk can be just as effective as a hit in some cases. And there is such a thing as "working the pitcher."

But I do know where you're coming from.

KC and their knuckle-headed manager do a lot of things unconventionally. It's worked to their advantage in getting them to the post season; I guess. But to quote, how they're last in walks and what a great thing this is, when normally it doesn't work for squat seems pretty selective.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A walk can be just as effective as a hit in some cases. And there is such a thing as "working the pitcher."

KC and their knuckle-headed manager do a lot of things unconventionally. It's worked to their advantage in getting them to the post season; I guess. But to quote, how they're last in walks and what a great thing this is, when normally it doesn't work for squat seems pretty selective.

Agreed. It's not a recipe for sustained success. The Royals seem to have the luck dragons on payroll. I saw a stat the other day that showed they had the most I field hits of any team in the post season by double digit figures.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yost got what was coming to him last night. He made some weird decisions in the previous game and last night his luck ran out. That bullpen got embarrassed. Hopefully they can rebound and get some of their fortune back.

Last edited by a moderator:

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It's not a recipe for sustained success. The Royals seem to have the luck dragons on payroll. I saw a stat the other day that showed they had the most I field hits of any team in the post season by double digit figures.

Oddly enough they have a lower BABIP than the Rangers did. Their offense was really bad to start the season, but I would bet they have a higher BABIP in the post season than they did in the regular.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar Taveres died in a car accident. That is so sad. He was such a young and promising kid. Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oscar Taveres died in a car accident. That is so sad. He was such a young and promising kid. Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

Just saw this and I'm in complete shock. RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, that is very, very sad. We certainly have no guarantees on life.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did not know this. That is such a bummer. Puts things in perspective.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is interesting:

The New York Daily News’ Bill Madden reported on the situation Sunday and said Cespedes’ decision to switch agents to Roc Nation Sports increases the likelihood that the outfielder will look for big money in free agency. That is one reason the Red Sox would be motivated to trade him now while they can get more in return for him.

Madden also says the Red Sox want to trade him because the outfielder does not like it in Boston and the coaches dislike him:

Two other reasons the Red Sox are open to dealing Cespedes are his open disenchantment with Boston and his refusal to pay any heed to their coaches. “He marches to his own drum and the coaches all hate him,” said a Red Sox insider.

“Hate” may be overstating it, but the point that he doesn’t listen to the coaches is significant. That could discourage some teams from showing interest in him, though, given his skills, he will draw plenty of suitors whether it’s in trade talks or free agency. Just know that despite his strong traditional numbers — he had 20 home runs and 100 RBIs — his low walk totals and career .316 on-base percentage is undesirable for many sabermetric-inclined clubs.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

same here my thoughts and prayers for his family and his girl friend's family. man there was a time when i hoped the Rangers could trade for him

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Grant:

Question: Any word on which remaining members of the coaching staff will be back next year? Would hate to see Maddux passed over after the development in so many young pitchers the last couple years.

Gerry Fraley: Getting the feeling there may be wholesale changes. Give the new manager a new staff with no ties to the past. That said, I think Triple-A pitching coach Brad Holman is a good bet to land in some role on the major-league staff. Same with Steve Buechele, who interviewed for the managerial opening.

Question: When Jon Daniels said there are "other ways" to acquire good pitching than signing top-tier free agents, I interpreted that as him being interested in a trade. With Preller now the GM in San Diego, should we expect a trade of some Rangers prospects that Preller favored while he was here in exchange for someone like Andrew Cashner or Ian Kennedy? Do you have a sense of which prospects were "Preller prospects" when he as here?

Gerry Fraley: yes. The Padres are a likley trading partner because of Preller's knowledge of the organization. they are more likely to move Kennedy than Cashner. Preller would want a middle infielder such as Sardinas. padres are down on Cabrera as a shortstop.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just not too fired up at the thought of trading for Kennedy. Cashier is another story, but he'd cost a lot more too.