• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said all along that we will never be able to rid ourselves of Prince's contract. I do think Choo is the odd man out and therefore I think they should be pro active and trade him within the next 4-9 months while he does have some value.

Beltre doesn't have a bad contract and if they decided to trade him his contract would not hinder a team from trading for him unless it was a small market team. I wouldn't mind them trading Beltre if they could get a great return, but I don't see that happening. I do think they will extend Beltre based on what JD said when they exercised their option for next year a few weeks ago.

In trading Choo you would have to pay maybe close to a third of his salary going forward, maybe a little more, to trade him. Your repeated comments about us having to include prospects to trade him is ludicrous though. That doesn't happen. You never throw in prospects to have a team take on a contract. You might get less back in term of prospects depending on how much money you throw in, but you never throw in additional prospects.

Your idea that I will do anything to get rid of them is ludicrous also. That shows you haven't been paying attention to what I write. You merely see me discussing trading someone and jump to your own conclusions.

all you do is comment on how we have to get all these prospects into the lineup ASAP and the only way to do that is clear the roster of guys like Beltre, Choo and Prince. when they extended Beltre's option year you were adamantly opposed to it and talked about how we needed to look at unloading him and now you want to unload Choo as quick as possible. i want to see these kids too but not as desperately as you do

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all you do is comment on how we have to get all these prospects into the lineup ASAP and the only way to do that is clear the roster of guys like Beltre, Choo and Prince. when they extended Beltre's option year you were adamantly opposed to it and talked about how we needed to look at unloading him and now you want to unload Choo as quick as possible. i want to see these kids too but not as desperately as you do

You are wrong once again. I have not called for any of the top prospects to make the club out of ST and that would be the definition of ASAP. Maybe Chi Chi has a chance, but not any of the hitters like Gallo, Alfaro, or Mazara.

I was opposed to Beltre's extension because it served no purpose and could pose a risk if he got injured or declined this year. In opposing that I never mentioned prospects.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua went 2-4 today with a double.

Even Profar got to play...no not that one.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are wrong once again. I have not called for any of the top prospects to make the club out of ST and that would be the definition of ASAP. Maybe Chi Chi has a chance, but not any of the hitters like Gallo, Alfaro, or Mazara.

I was opposed to Beltre's extension because it served no purpose and could pose a risk if he got injured or declined this year. In opposing that I never mentioned prospects.

If Beltre was traded it would not be a case of "unloading" him. We unloaded MY a few years ago. A trade of Beltre should not be made unless we improved as a team within a short period of time. Trading him would not fit into the category of unloading him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Beltre was traded it would not be a case of "unloading" him. We unloaded MY a few years ago. A trade of Beltre should not be made unless we improved as a team within a short period of time. Trading him would not fit into the category of unloading him.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the team would trade AB unless it was mutually beneficial. And this doesn't fall into the "unloading" category at all. So I'm totally with ya.

And I can't imagine a team wanting him unless they saw him as THE piece which pushed them over the threshold of championship caliber to challenger for all the marbles. And I'd love this for Beltre the man.

The only thing which would make this better is if he'd do it here. But it would be baseball justice if he got a WS ring before he goes out to pasture.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We have all watched guys in the lineup day after day that shouldn't be there. Beltre certainly has a spot ... several of them as a matter of fact. Prince has something to prove as does Choo. Past performance gives us reason to give them the opportunity to get back on track. But big contracts are sunk costs. Big contracts need to produce or you make changes. That's how business works.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have all watched guys in the lineup day after day that shouldn't be there. Beltre certainly has a spot ... several of them as a matter of fact. Prince has something to prove as does Choo. Past performance gives us reason to give them the opportunity to get back on track. But big contracts are sunk costs. Big contracts need to produce or you make changes. That's how business works.

i agree but that could take a while longer than you are willing to give

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree but that could take a while longer than you are willing to give

Why do you say "that it could take longer then you are willing to give"?

I want the best nine guys in the lineup out of the best 25 guys of the 40 man. It isn't that complicated. Has nothing to do with time.

Solutions may be complex ... but the objective is simple. Trick is keeping it in focus.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Angels are still a better team the the Mariners. Maybe not 98 win better, but the Mariners chance is likely as a WC.

I disagree, but no reason to argue about it. Neither one of us are saying the Rangers are better and that's all that matters.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers and Phillies are still talking about a deal that would send top lefty Cole Hamels to Texas, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. While the sides are talking about possible prospect packages, nothing is close at the moment.

Heyman notes that “there is no evidence the Red Sox and Phillies have talked seriously in recent weeks” on a deal involving Hamels, meaning that the Rangers could be the most promising landing spot at present. Philly is reportedly looking to add three legitimate prospects in a deal, with at least one potential impact player among them.

In addition to its impressive list of youngsters, the Rangers have some payroll flexibility, according to Heyman. After foregoing any significant spending this winter, the team appears likely to open the year with just under $140MM committed to its 25-man roster (and disabled list). Looking forward, Texas has over $100MM already on the books for 2016 and at least $50MM in each of the three years that follow. Hamels’s contract would tack on $22.5MM to those tallies over each of the next four years, and it also includes a $20MM option for 2019 that carries a $6MM buyout.

Yu Darvish‘s season-ending Tommy John surgery has left a void atop the Rangers’ rotation, and it is surely tempting to replace him with Hamels. Of course, such a deal probably would have made as much or more sense prior to that injury, given the team’s other rotation questions. Part of the motivation for continuing to talk with Philadelphia could well be that the club already had designs on adding another long-term arm at some point in the near future.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, but no reason to argue about it. Neither one of us are saying the Rangers are better and that's all that matters.
Always a reason to debate, because why not?

Other than Nelson Cruz being added to Seattle and the Angels trading Kendrick what did the Mariners do to close the gap?

Cruz won't repeat what he did last year playing in Seattle. No player has been able to do that in Safeco.

They were middle of the road offensively and their starters while they are good I don't know about best in baseball. Felix and Iwakuma are a great 1 2 but 3-5 aren't quite there unless Paxton and Walker make huge step forward this year.

I don't see Seattle winning the division unless the Angels pitching staff is hit with injuries again, and even so they won 98 last year.