• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheap hr's but count never the less

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranaudo throwing batting practice.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really, seems we get by pretty well

Plus its a little different to do it for one or two guys going forward, but you're asking for a full roster analysis for 2017, what's the sense in that? Nobody has a damn clue

I wanted to see what he had in mind for the three guys he was mentioning would be here. If he was for sure they would be here then he should in mind where they fit in. it is hard to discuss that without an an overview of the whole lineup. This was the result of a back and forth over several different posts. I think you are criticizing my question without taking into account the whole conversation that preceded it.

I don't get your getting by pretty well comment.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin's contract might be up right about the time that someone like Brinson is ready to go, but Brinson has to work on the hole in his swing a la Gallo

But it's true, one or two of Beltre/Fielder/Choo is on the outside looking in if ALL the young guys pan out

Potentially we have going forward:

Mazara in a COF spot

Gallo at 1B, 3B or COF

Brinson in CF

Rua at 1B/3B/COF

Nick Williams at a COF

Profar SS/2B/3B

That's potentially 5 people for 2 COF spots (Mazara, Choo, Gallo, Rua, Williams)

2 in CF (Martin, Brinson)

4 for 3B (Beltre, Gallo, Rua, Profar)

2 for SS (Andrus & Profar)

3 for 2B (Rua, Profar, Odor)

4 for 1B (Gallo, Beltre, Fielder, Rua)

C is pretty much Alfaro or Chirinos going forward, minus FA additions or trades

That's 14 guys for 9 spots, assuming EVERYONE pans out and is ready to go for 2017 (ANd I'm only taking into consideration the ones I seeing being POTENTIALLY ready in 2017)

Is that better saddles?

That is a good analysis. However, it wasn't exactly what I was asking for and you weren't the one I was asking it from since you weren't the one saying that Choo, Beltre and Prince would have to be here long term. Like I said though, it is a good analysis. It points out the many possibilities.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If and it is a big IF they do extend Beltre and attempt to move him to 1st then i foresee Fielder at DH (where he probably should be now) and unless things change drastically i still see Choo in RF in 2017. i also see Elvis, Odor and probably Alfaro & Chiniros at C with Martin in CF. i see Darvish, Holland, Perez and possibly Gallardo in the rotation. that leaves LF and 3B open and i probably would expect that Gallo & Rua fill those positions. the 5th starter position will probably be Chi Chi's to lose and the others will be in the minors except Harrison who should retire.

i say that Choo & Fielder have a place in long term because both have contracts that no other team with any sense is going to take on unless we sweeten the pot with a ton of money & prospects and i don't see JD doing that. and i've said this for quite a while but you won't accept that point. you want them gone and you will do anything to get rid of them. Name a team that would take on Prince's or Choo's remaining salary

I have said all along that we will never be able to rid ourselves of Prince's contract. I do think Choo is the odd man out and therefore I think they should be pro active and trade him within the next 4-9 months while he does have some value.

Beltre doesn't have a bad contract and if they decided to trade him his contract would not hinder a team from trading for him unless it was a small market team. I wouldn't mind them trading Beltre if they could get a great return, but I don't see that happening. I do think they will extend Beltre based on what JD said when they exercised their option for next year a few weeks ago.

In trading Choo you would have to pay maybe close to a third of his salary going forward, maybe a little more, to trade him. Your repeated comments about us having to include prospects to trade him is ludicrous though. That doesn't happen. You never throw in prospects to have a team take on a contract. You might get less back in term of prospects depending on how much money you throw in, but you never throw in additional prospects.

Your idea that I will do anything to get rid of them is ludicrous also. That shows you haven't been paying attention to what I write. You merely see me discussing trading someone and jump to your own conclusions.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzo lost it.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good analysis. However, it wasn't exactly what I was asking for and you weren't the one I was asking it from since you weren't the one saying that Choo, Beltre and Prince would have to be here long term. Like I said though, it is a good analysis. It points out the many possibilities.

I didn't ask if that's what you asked for, I provided the analysis I FELT like providing, I just asked if that was better

Does it really matter who it came from? Everyone here knows Scotty isn't providing any sort of analysis

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see Smolinski got a base hit against Greinke. I am pulling for the guy.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to see what he had in mind for the three guys he was mentioning would be here. If he was for sure they would be here then he should in mind where they fit in. it is hard to discuss that without an an overview of the whole lineup. This was the result of a back and forth over several different posts. I think you are criticizing my question without taking into account the whole conversation that preceded it.

I don't get your getting by pretty well comment.

We get by on this board pretty well discussing everyday business and the near future without the necessity to probe to years into the future and things we have no way of knowing

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get by on this board pretty well discussing everyday business and the near future without the necessity to probe to years into the future and things we have no way of knowing

The gist of what I was saying is that nothing said on here really "matters". Whether it is short term discussion or long term it is for our own edification. None of it really changes anything no matter what we think of it. So if we are only going to post things that "matters" this would be a lonely board.

I enjoy long term discussion because I plan on being a fan long term. I am not just concerned about the present. That is especially true since I see our real chance of being strong contenders beginning in 2017 with an outside shot of it being in 2016. I have therefore been focused on 2017 for about a year now.

If others aren't concerned with the future then that is fine with me. No skin off of my nose. I just view things differently.

Also, we just spent a whole offseason probing into the very near future about things we had "no way of knowing". Just go back and look through the first few dozen pages of this thread to see how far off base we were many times about what would happen in the offseason. If we can discuss short term things that we are so far off base about then why not long term topics as well?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby having a bad start today. 2 innings and 3 runs so far.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sure looking like it's going to be hard to keep him off the 25 man.

Agree. I just hope he can k

I just have this feeling he will be playing with nagging injuries the remainder of his career. For one thing he seems to foul those inside breaking pitches off of his ankle often. Would really like to see him healthy because he would be a difference maker at the plate.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much hitting going on in the other game either. A double by Telis and a single each by Rua and Mazara through 5 innings.