• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that if Choo proves himself healthy we could easily draw the interest of other teams. However, I'm not sure that's wise.

I think it would be wise if certain things line up for us. Those things being Choo rebounds so he is tradeable and one of Smolinski or Rua does well this year plus both Gallo and Mazara do well. In fact, if just Gallo and one more of those guys do well then you could cover yourself in the corner outfield by good players who are on the cheap and use the remainder of what you don't have pay on Choo's salary to get other pieces when needed. It remains to be seen whether those things will happen.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be wise if certain things line up for us. Those things being Choo rebounds so he is tradeable and one of Smolinski or Rua does well this year plus both Gallo and Mazara do well. In fact, if just Gallo and one more of those guys do well then you could cover yourself in the corner outfield by good players who are on the cheap and use the remainder of what you don't have pay on Choo's salary to get other pieces when needed. It remains to be seen whether those things will happen.

Now that we can agree on.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I'm not sold on Hamels at 31 years old going forward and being on the hook for that amount of money. Choo's skill set is more likely to maintain IMO given the wear Hamels arm has taken pitching 200 innings for how many years now? We see these top tier pitchers fall apart from 33 on. Santana, Halladay, Lee, and so on. All considered the best pitchers in baseball in their time. None will be pitching ever again IMO.

You could also look at it that Hamels has proven durable, but I understand your point and it is a good one. I don't think that is something Philly would do though.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tep said he had learned from last year in ST, apparently he hasn't figured it out quite yet. NMart seems to have a better grasp so far this year.

Of the two, I have more confidence in Martinez. Like someone posted earlier, Tepesch has been run out there more than most anyone. And he's still not a lock for a rotation that only has 3 spots settled. Not inspiring.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could also look at it that Hamels has proven durable, but I understand your point and it is a good one. I don't think that is something Philly would do though.

I'm very bearish about pitchers on the wrong side of 30 for long term deals and big dollars.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the line I heard on the radio today referencing Joe Beimel's bad outing. They said he should just go back to his job as Vice President.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the two, I have more confidence in Martinez. Like someone posted earlier, Tepesch has been run out there more than most anyone. And he's still not a lock for a rotation that only has 3 spots settled. Not inspiring.

I'm going to play the wait and see game on Tepesch. At this point pitchers are still going out and working on one aspect of their game without a great deal of thought given to the results. Now if he still looks like this after two more appearances, then I'm ready to move on.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the line I heard on the radio today referencing Joe Beimel's bad outing. They said he should just go back to his job as Vice President.

Lol. Biemel will only be facing lefties. He's god awful against right handed hitters, but everyone knew that.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no doubt that if Choo proves himself healthy we could easily draw the interest of other teams. However, I'm not sure that's wise.

Not with a 5/$102 million millstone. Had he come over smoking and never injured maybe he could be moved ... but not now even if he has one good year. Teams will want additional value in case he spits up with multiple years still to go. Only question I have is how long it takes for him to become the permanent DH at which time he only has value in the AL.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very bearish about pitchers on the wrong side of 30 for long term deals and big dollars.
How far into Harrison's rehab should he have to get before we can allow just a tinge of optimism to creep back in? Or should we wait until he actually takes the mound in a real game a few times before having any optimism?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not with a 5/$102 million millstone. Had he come over smoking and never injured maybe he could be moved ... but not now even if he has one good year. Teams will want additional value in case he spits up with multiple years still to go. Only question I have is how long it takes for him to become the permanent DH at which time he only has value in the AL.

We'll agree to disagree. But I'm not sure I like the idea of shipping Choo anyways.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How far into Harrison's rehab should he have to get before we can allow just a tinge of optimism to creep back in? Or should we wait until he actually takes the mound in a real game a few times before having any optimism?

A tinge of optimism? I'd say after his second rehab appearance. Not out of the woods even then by far, though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What if they want Beltre to come back and DH once his present contract is up? Or what if they finally decide Prince should DH in a couple of years?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if they want Beltre to come back and DH once his present contract is up? Or what if they finally decide Prince should DH in a couple of years?

This is a valid point. Too many players at the age that will be turning into DH's at the same time.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Any team trying to move a guy with 4 or 5 years to go on a contract approaching $100 mil is not going to find it easy to move that player. A team may make the deal but not without a huge amount of money or prospects. No reason to take on future risk so my competitor can eliminate risk.

Should never make more than a three year deal for anybody unless the real big money only vests with increasing performance in those out years.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well they got some hard decisions to make if that happens. TEX loaded up Choo and Prince in anticipation of SPs like Harrison, Holland, Perez amongst others being at the top of their games. Didn't happen and now TEX has three guys on a collision course for the one DH spot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a valid point. Too many players at the age that will be turning into DH's at the same time.
That is the principal reason I would like to see them be able to trade Choo. Long term I hope we have enough good young talent to arrive that would surpass Choo anyway. By then Choo would not be nearly as tradeable as he could be between 4 and 9 months from now. I think we will have Prince for the duration and we can't have more than one high priced DH on the team. I would also much rather have an old Beltre at DH than a mid 30s Choo. So there are at least two options better than Choo for DH in a couple of years.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any team trying to move a guy with 4 or 5 years to go on a contract approaching $100 mil is not going to find it easy to move that player. A team may make the deal but not without a huge amount of money or prospects. No reason to take on future risk so my competitor can eliminate risk.

Should never make more than a three year deal for anybody unless the real big money only vests with increasing performance in those out years.

Unfortunately, contracts are moving the opposite direction. I'm of the opinion that most players aren't worth those huge contracts by the time they reach free agency and have made a name for themselves. There are exceptions of course, such as Greinke but most of the time I'd say the previous is applicable.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they got some hard decisions to make if that happens. TEX loaded up Choo and Prince in anticipation of SPs like Harrison, Holland, Perez amongst others being at the top of their games. Didn't happen and now TEX has three guys on a collision course for the DH spot.
That is why I would try to trade Choo when he proves healthy again.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the principal reason I would like to see them be able to trade Choo. Long term I hope we have enough good young talent to arrive that would surpass Choo anyway. By then Choo would not be nearly as tradeable as he could be between 4 and 9 months from now. I think we will have Prince for the duration and we can't have more than one high priced DH on the team. I would also much rather have an old Beltre at DH than a mid 30s Choo. So there are at least two options better than Choo for DH in a couple of years.

I see your point. With that said, a lot depends on what happens this year. Still in wait and see mode it seems.