• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Rangers have signed righty Jesus Pirela, Baseball America’s Matt Eddy writes. The 25-year-old Pirela spent five seasons in the Phillies organization, then ultimately wound up pitching for Veracruz last season and becoming one of the best relievers in the Mexican League, posting a 1.51 ERA, 10.2 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 over 53 2/3 innings. Eddy notes that the Rangers scouted him in the Mexican Pacific Winter League this offseason.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First official game of spring training is today : University of Tampa vs. the Phillies

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The great Minnie Minoso has passed away!

This guy WAS the phrase "played with reckless abandonment."

Backup catcher Adrian Nieto, who also was born in Cuba, said Minoso was always there to give a helping hand.

"He was always there at games and always gave me and Abreu advice," Nieto said. "I'll never forget the piece of advice he gave me and Abreu: 'Just think you're the best but don't say it or walk around like you are.' I'll definitely take that with me for the rest of my career."

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First official game of spring training is today : University of Tampa vs. the Phillies
Thanks for breaking the silence. What a boring time of year. About to change tho and the fun begins.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The great Minnie Minoso has passed away!

This guy WAS the phrase "played with reckless abandonment."

Backup catcher Adrian Nieto, who also was born in Cuba, said Minoso was always there to give a helping hand.

"He was always there at games and always gave me and Abreu advice," Nieto said. "I'll never forget the piece of advice he gave me and Abreu: 'Just think you're the best but don't say it or walk around like you are.' I'll definitely take that with me for the rest of my career."
Another one of the good guys who helped write the record books. Glad I had the opportunity to see him play.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another one of the good guys who helped write the record books. Glad I had the opportunity to see him play.

Lucky us. He seemed like the Cuban Ernie Banks a little bit to me.

Abreu is so upset he's gone into seclusion and refused any and all interviews. Speaks well of both men actually.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucky us. He seemed like the Cuban Ernie Banks a little bit to me.

Abreu is so upset he's gone into seclusion and refused any and all interviews. Speaks well of both men actually.
Yes it does. Was just thinking how many great ones we've seen that others have only heard of. Wow!

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
  • The Rangers have signed righty Jesus Pirela, Baseball America’s Matt Eddy writes. The 25-year-old Pirela spent five seasons in the Phillies organization, then ultimately wound up pitching for Veracruz last season and becoming one of the best relievers in the Mexican League, posting a 1.51 ERA, 10.2 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 over 53 2/3 innings. Eddy notes that the Rangers scouted him in the Mexican Pacific Winter League this offseason.

One season in Rookie League and two in Low A ... far as he got ... Jesus Pirela Statistics Pitching | FanGraphs Baseball

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it does. Was just thinking how many great ones we've seen that others have only heard of. Wow!

Yeah, we were/are fortunate in this regard, no doubt about it.

Don't want to sound like a couple of old-farts, even though we're a couple of old-farts, but being able to look back and say we got to see Brooks Robinson, Minnie, Roger & Mick, Yogi, McCarver, etc - list could go on for a bit - is some good memories for us for sure.

And I truly respect/admire the young players of more recent years as well. I'm not one of those, "back in the day he couldn't play" blah-blah-blah kind-of-people. Darvish, Kershaw could pitch in 1986, and Trout, Beltre, etc could hit/play in 1956.

I know talent when I see it.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fraley: A different Neftali Feliz emerges from ashes of Series failure, surgery | Dallas Morning News

Fraley doesn't seem to recall that Feliz was just fine in a starter's role in 2012 after the 2011 WS. He emerged from those ashes in 2012 quite admirably. His 1.19 WHIP and 3.16 ERA before he got hurt in 2012 proved that he was completely recovered from the blown save in Game 6. Coming back from the surgery is a completely different experience. They shouldn't be lumped together. Many in the media like to forget how well both Feliz and Ogando performed as starters when they were healthy.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Reminiscing readying your post DT ...

I grew up in northern NJ a Brooklyn Dodger fan although never got to Ebbets Field. Did get to Yankee Stadium bunch of times in late 50s early 60s. I remember we used to just park our car in a guys yard and paid him 2 bucks and walked to the stadium. Saw Mantle, Berra, Maris, Hank Bauer, Gil MacDougal, Moose Scowron all those guys.

One of my favorite NYY pitchers was Bobby Shantz (5'-6" 139#). I was at a game where he subbed for Mantle in CF for 1 inning. He was a fan favorite and I remember the stadium going crazy when he went out to CF. I always remember Shantz as the pitcher who played OF too ... but it was just that one inning.

Whenever Baltimore was in town Billy Odell used to catch a taxi and visit his sister who lived on the next street. Friend of mine Ricky was his sister's kid. Al of us would flock to Ricky's house when word flashed that Billy Odell was there. He would play catch with us in the street. If he had time we'd go over to the playground diamond and he'd hit grounders to us. Had his autograph on my glove forever.

Would have been about when he was an All Star.

Bet nobody ever here ever heard of him. Billy O'Dell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminiscing readying your post DT ...

I grew up in northern NJ a Brooklyn Dodger fan although never got to Ebbets Field. Did get to Yankee Stadium bunch of times in late 50s early 60s. I remember we used to just park our car in a guys yard and paid him 2 bucks and walked to the stadium. Saw Mantle, Berra, Maris, Hank Bauer, Gil MacDougal, Moose Scowron all those guys.

One of my favorite NYY pitchers was Bobby Shantz (5'-6" 139#). I was at a game where he subbed for Mantle in CF for 1 inning. He was a fan favorite and I remember the stadium going crazy when he went out to CF. I always remember Shantz as the pitcher who played OF too ... but it was just that one inning.

Whenever Baltimore was in town Billy Odell used to catch a taxi and visit his sister who lived on the next street. Friend of mine Ricky was his sister's kid. Al of us would flock to Ricky's house when word flashed that Billy Odell was there. He would play catch with us in the street. If he had time we'd go over to the playground diamond and he'd hit grounders to us. Had his autograph on my glove forever.

Would have been about when he was an All Star.

Bet nobody ever here ever heard of him. Billy O'Dell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Enjoyed the story. In 1960,got to see Mick and the gang. Big time thrill for an 18 yr old Texas boy about to ship out over seas. We got great seats behind the dugout for 25 cents. Difficult to believe but true. Memories I'll takev to the grave.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Don't want to sound like a couple of old-farts, even though we're a couple of old-farts, but being able to look back and say we got to see Brooks Robinson, Minnie, Roger & Mick, Yogi, McCarver, etc - list could go on for a bit - is some good memories for us for sure.

And I truly respect/admire the young players of more recent years as well. I'm not one of those, "back in the day he couldn't play" blah-blah-blah kind-of-people. Darvish, Kershaw could pitch in 1986, and Trout, Beltre, etc could hit/play in 1956.

To your point about the current guys that we know could play 'back in the day'. On the main MLB board there is a thread "Best 2nd Baseman of All Time". I think the only guy on it I ever saw play was Joe Morgan. Maybe I missed someone more recent ... but just about every guy on the list was older than we are... or dead.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not about who played but how they played that gave us the appreciation of the old and the new. Just love the game. Then and now.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fraley: A different Neftali Feliz emerges from ashes of Series failure, surgery | Dallas Morning News

Fraley doesn't seem to recall that Feliz was just fine in a starter's role in 2012 after the 2011 WS. He emerged from those ashes in 2012 quite admirably. His 1.19 WHIP and 3.16 ERA before he got hurt in 2012 proved that he was completely recovered from the blown save in Game 6. Coming back from the surgery is a completely different experience. They shouldn't be lumped together. Many in the media like to forget how well both Feliz and Ogando performed as starters when they were healthy.

Feliz was having a good early beginning that year as a starter, watched him pitch against the Angels on Mother's day. His last start that year I believe before going down to injury, I really wish we could have seen how it would have turned out, had he stayed healthy

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching local news. Derek scratched with sore shoulder. Says not a major problem. Yu had a nice day. Fastball was up to 94. Feels fine.:yes: