• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminiscing readying your post DT ...

I grew up in northern NJ a Brooklyn Dodger fan although never got to Ebbets Field. Did get to Yankee Stadium bunch of times in late 50s early 60s. I remember we used to just park our car in a guys yard and paid him 2 bucks and walked to the stadium. Saw Mantle, Berra, Maris, Hank Bauer, Gil MacDougal, Moose Scowron all those guys.

One of my favorite NYY pitchers was Bobby Shantz (5'-6" 139#). I was at a game where he subbed for Mantle in CF for 1 inning. He was a fan favorite and I remember the stadium going crazy when he went out to CF. I always remember Shantz as the pitcher who played OF too ... but it was just that one inning.

Whenever Baltimore was in town Billy Odell used to catch a taxi and visit his sister who lived on the next street. Friend of mine Ricky was his sister's kid. Al of us would flock to Ricky's house when word flashed that Billy Odell was there. He would play catch with us in the street. If he had time we'd go over to the playground diamond and he'd hit grounders to us. Had his autograph on my glove forever.

Would have been about when he was an All Star.

Bet nobody ever here ever heard of him. Billy O'Dell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll just be damned if you don't have some REALLY terrific stories/memories. Honestly.

OK.....here's one of mine. My dad and Hoyt Wilhelm (Hall-of-Fame knuckler) were old buds. They were both from different but close, small towns in NC and played minor league ball for Moorsville in NC. It was like - guessing here - Myrtle Beach now; Class A type ball. My dad peaked there, Hoyt didn't.

We drove up from Nashville to see the White Sox and O's play when I was a teenager. Hoyt/family and ours had dinner - honestly don't remember squat about it - and I remember getting to go down on the field and see so many players. It was pretty cool.

The O's were loaded with talent back then! Holy smokes. Brooks, Boog, Belanger, Pappas/McNally, Blair, Aparicio.

Nice trip for a 14 year old kid.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just be damned if you don't have some REALLY terrific stories/memories. Honestly.

OK.....here's one of mine. My dad and Hoyt Wilhelm (Hall-of-Fame knuckler) were old buds. They were both from different but close, small towns in NC and played minor league ball for Moorsville in NC. It was like - guessing here - Myrtle Beach now; Class A type ball. My dad peaked there, Hoyt didn't.

We drove up from Nashville to see the White Sox and O's play when I was a teenager. Hoyt/family and ours had dinner - honestly don't remember squat about it - and I remember getting to go down on the field and see so many players. It was pretty cool.

The O's were loaded with talent back then! Holy smokes. Brooks, Boog, Belanger, Pappas/McNally, Blair, Aparicio.

Good one. I had to get older to appreciate the finer things of my past.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can relate to those players because of my age. I too saw Mantle and Maris against the Senators in 1961 and then saw Mantle when he was towards the end at Fenway when we lived in Cape Cod 67-69. Also saw Bob Gibson pitch against the Astros/Colt 45s along with Lou Brock and the next night the Braves with Aaron. But nothing personal like you guys.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy hearing the stories gentlemen, thanks for sharing.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers ace Yu Darvish: I never quit the team in 2014 | Dallas Morning News

I really liked reading this article.

Speaking publicly at length in English for the first time since joining the Rangers in 2012, he made it clear of what he thought about any lingering notions he somehow “quit” on the team last season after being diagnosed with elbow inflammation.
“I never quit on the team,” Darvish said. “I love this team. That is not true.”
And, then to be more frank, he said: “That’s bull….”
But he actually finished the quote.

The whole hullabaloo may be a perfect example of things that get lost in translation.
Darvish is determined not to let such things happen again. When asked what the next step was in his growth,

Darvish said: “Learn English.”

And he went on.

“I know that when people come to Japan and they don’t speak Japanese, we feel bad,” he said after throwing 14 pitches that ranged up to 94 mph in one inning of an intrasquad game. “I have to look at it the same way since I’m here. If I can speak English more and we can communicate better, it’s good for all of us.”

Bringing down any remaining language barrier with teammates will only help immerse Darvish more into the fabric of the club. Manager Jeff Banister has asked him to take on a bigger leadership role. To do that requires better communication. Darvish seems to understand that.

“I know there is sometimes a language problem,” Darvish said. “But what I can do is what I’m doing. I can show my teammates by being more active. This is the most comfortable I’ve felt since I’ve been here. I’m just comfortable.”

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media needs to stop fucking with Darvish if they want texas to extend him.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Very cool. Brooks Robinson and Boog Powell. Artistry at 3b and sheer power at the plate.

Baseball is what brought us up. As a kid it was what defined us every waking moment for months. Playing for the school team in the afternoon then a senior league game in the evening then home to do homework.

Back then for us kids it was dirt, radio on the porch and baseball. The smell of baseball diamond dirt is imbedded in my memory.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy hearing the stories gentlemen, thanks for sharing.
Someday you young whipper snappers will be telling your own stories and creating lasting memories. You have a great start already.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the following quote was very positive in terms of us being able to extend him.

"This is the most comfortable I’ve felt since I’ve been here. I’m just comfortable.”

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the following quote was very positive in terms of us being able to extend him.

"This is the most comfortable I’ve felt since I’ve been here. I’m just comfortable.”

The FO hopefully took note of this.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someday you young whipper snappers will be telling your own stories and creating lasting memories. You have a great start already.

I'm gonna have to start keeping a journal or recording stuff on all the technology we have these days, or I'm not gonna be able to remember it. You guys generation with your steel trap minds have done much better job of chronicling this stuff for our younger generations, than I will be able to do just on memory alone for my kids and their friends.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I cannot really say what the media is like in other cities overall but our media has been so negative for as long as I can remember. If they are not stirring the pot there just is not any news from their point of view.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I gotta admit, I've had my concerns about Darvish too. Much more so than you and it seems most others on here.

I've felt he was too in love with the SO, and he seemed to be on the mental Hollywood side somewhat to me as well. And this concerned (s) me some.

I certainly like what I've read about him going toward this season, and I've never questioned his abilities to be one of the best in the game.

I will note, I thought Calvin Watkins was WAY outta bounds on his take last year though, and hopefully the Rangers, as an organization have addressed this issue, if you know what I mean.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Rangers have signed right-hander Mark Rogers to a minor league contract, tweets EPSN’s Jerry Crasnick. Rogers, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft by the Brewersand a top 100 prospect by Baseball America in 2005 and 2006, has seen his career derailed by shoulder injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome. The 29-year-old made two appearances last year for the Mariners‘ Triple-A affiliate before being released. He then hooked on with the Lancaster Barnstormers of the independent Atlantic League making 18 starts with a line of 4.17 ERA, 4.6 K/9, and 6.2 BB/9 in 86 1/3 innings. Rogers’ last MLB action came in 2012 with the Brewers.

Stacking up arms

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The Rangers have signed right-hander Mark Rogers to a minor league contract, tweets EPSN’s Jerry Crasnick. Rogers, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft by the Brewersand a top 100 prospect by Baseball America in 2005 and 2006, has seen his career derailed by shoulder injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome. The 29-year-old made two appearances last year for the Mariners‘ Triple-A affiliate before being released. He then hooked on with the Lancaster Barnstormers of the independent Atlantic League making 18 starts with a line of 4.17 ERA, 4.6 K/9, and 6.2 BB/9 in 86 1/3 innings. Rogers’ last MLB action came in 2012 with the Brewers.

Stacking up arms

Those stats are garbage considering he pitched in the Independent League.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers SS Elvis Andrus dealing with sore left knee
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus met with Dr. Keith Meister after leaving Sunday's workout due to a sore left knee, general manager Jon Daniels said Monday. Although, the diagnosis seems positive, as Dr. Meister doesn't think Andrus' injury is anything serious, per Daniels.

Andrus won't play in Monday's intrasquad game, but he will hit in the batting cages. Andrus could also be ready to play in Wednesday's spring opener against the Royals.

Precautionary, it seems a lot of this is necessary early. We don't need any issues for sure