• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something has them extremely cautious about not going over what was basically the 2013 budget the past two years. They are being more tight with their money as of late. Whether that makes them tight wads I guess is up to one's personal definition of that term. I just hope that whatever made JD decide after the 2013 season that the budget for both 2014 and 2015 would remain almost static is something that goes away by the next offseason. He knew even before the disastrous 2014 season that his budget wouldn't be expanded during this offseason so that makes me think whatever was wrong was going to last at least until after the 2015 season. I hope they were simply facing a temporary 2 year challenge financially and that by next offseason everything will be different.

I believe the Beltre signing was in big part due to saving the $2 million. I still think there is a good chance that the reason we didn't replace our hitting coach is because we didn't want to pay for the one we hired while we were still paying for the one we let go. Whether that qualifies as "tight wads" I will leave to each person to decide on their own. Also, past extravagant expenditures don't disqualify anyone from becoming a tight wad and just because someone is a tight wad presently does not mean that they will always be one. Sometimes things happen that change the way we spend money temporarily whether we are discussing individuals or major organizations.

Well said.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the whole goal in locking down Beltre for 2016 was to keep him from worrying about getting enough PA then shouldn't they have locked him up at this time last year? The number of PA was just as important last season as this one. He needed 1200 total to make the 2016 year vest automatically.

That would have been taking more of a chance, in the year of injury I would have been even more on pins and needles

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this time in his career I don't see anyone giving the farm for him now. The guy as great as he is losing value. Better to keep him this late.
If he was available on another team at deadline team and the Rangers were in contention, but had a need for a big bat and had an opening at 3B wouldn't you be willing to give up a ton for him if you thought he would make you the favorites in the American League? What from the Rangers current farm system would you be willing to part with in that scenario for an Adrian Beltre?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would have been taking more of a chance, in the year of injury I would have been even more on pins and needles
I wouldn't have done it for those same reasons either last year or this year. Injuries at his age with his legs are a major reason to be cautious about when you lock him up. I was just saying that reason was just about as valid a year ago. To me though signing him now or a year earlier doesn't make sense other than them wanting to save $2 million on this year's budget.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was available on another team at deadline team and the Rangers were in contention, but had a need for a big bat and had an opening at 3B wouldn't you be willing to give up a ton for him if you thought he would make you the favorites in the American League? What from the Rangers current farm system would you be willing to part with in that scenario for an Adrian Beltre?
You're speculating now. Really don't think that is very realistic. We'll see.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as far out on the limb as you went. lol

So teams are never anxious to pick up a big bat at deadline time? I remember the Rangers making a major trade for Harold Baines at deadline time and making major trades when they traded away Burroughs and Teixeira at deadline time. I don't believe it is going out on a limb at all to think an Adrian Beltre would be coveted by teams needing offense to put them over the top. The Tigers gave up Thompson for Soria for goodness sake.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So teams are never anxious to pick up a big bat at deadline time? I remember the Rangers making a major trade for Harold Baines at deadline time and making major trades when they traded away Burroughs and Teixeira at deadline time. I don't believe it is going out on a limb at all to think an Adrian Beltre would be coveted by teams needing offense to put them over the top. The Tigers gave up Thompson for Soria for goodness sake.
Sure in that scenerio but the season hasn't even started. Point is we saved 2 mil, have a good 3b 300 hitter and DH till Gallo is ready and that is a good move now.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure in that scenerio but the season hasn't even started. Point is we saved 2 mil, have a good 3b 300 hitter and DH till Gallo is ready and that is a good move now.

i think you just mentioned why he isn't happy with this move with AB

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2...ml/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"Look for right-hander Yu Darvish to pitch to a lot of rookies. Veterans don’t want to have their confidence crushed early by facing Darvish."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...e?hootPostID=7739ad8cb6e580f7a2ef0f4d7b961d43

"Granted, the sample size is small, but so far Banister seems the best of both worlds. A people person who believes in analytics. That so many players showed up early is a good sign the message is getting through."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just answering your question about why the Rangers would ever want to trade him. I originally said that like anyone on the team you would only trade him if it made your team better in the long run. That is a separate discussion than one about whether they should have picked up the extra year on his contract this early or not.

As far as the move to pick up that extra year goes we really didn't save $2 million we simply deferred it for a year. Also, we would have had a good 3B .300 hitter no matter if we had picked up that extra year now or later. Doing it now doesn't change a thing in that regard. The only way the move benefits the team is to defer the money, but apparently that was something that was needed very badly. They apparently thought the risk of doing this now as opposed to several months from now was worth it to be able to juggle the $2 million.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Mo, Hey Larry, nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know why he did that. There's plenty of motive. They'll spend money on the right guys at the right times like they always have.

While I agree with you that for the most part I did think the 2 million dollar maneuvering seemed a bit odd but then I think when teams do that esp in baseball I'm not sure the true benefit of it just like I didn't see it doing it with Belts.

But yes I do agree that ownership doesn't have an open checkbook but that doesn't meant they're not going to or willing to spend money. Just can't spend money for the sake of it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, my only problem with giving the extra year now is the unnecessary risk they have taken on. I think they will make room for Gallo when he is ready. If having Beltre causes them to shift Gallo to RF temporarily or permanently and that makes Choo expendable then that is all the better.

Last edited:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, my only problem with giving the extra year now is the unnecessary risk they have taken on. I think they will make room for Gallo when he is ready. If having Beltre causes them to shift Gallo to RF temporarily or permanently and that makes Choo expendable then that is all the better.

who is going to take Choo? it is easy to say expendable but it won't be as easy as that to move him