• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately if you're a Tigers fan it's good to have an owner like Illitch doesn't care as he's willing to do whatever it takes to bring a WS championship to Detroit again.

Illitch is over 80 years old I believe and his line of thinking seems to be, "what's another $25 mil to me when I've got a billion in the bank?"

Don't think this is good for the game, and frankly, hasn't proved successful for the Tigers either to date.

It's tough to go out and buy a pennant in today's game. That philosophy isn't working for anyone.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illitch is over 80 years old I believe and his line of thinking seems to be, "what's another $25 mil to me when I've got a billion in the bank?"

Don't think this is good for the game, and frankly, hasn't proved successful for the Tigers either to date.

It's tough to go out and buy a pennant in today's game. That philosophy isn't working for anyone.
You're so right. KC is close enough to a WS to support your thinking. Agree.:yahoo:

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you all realize that Verlander has a contract that lasts until 2019 with the big money just now kicking in at 28 mill a year? Has a 22 mill vesting option in 2020. He still went over 200 innings this past year and his stats were good in 2014 for most pitchers but not 28 mill good going forward. And the fact he threw 186 innings in 2006 and then over 200 the last 8 years I can see where the back-end of this contract will be kicking Detroit.

I think a very big percentage of big long term contracts are bad for the team.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately if you're a Tigers fan it's good to have an owner like Illitch doesn't care as he's willing to do whatever it takes to bring a WS championship to Detroit again.

It did help them that they were able to find someone to unload the Fielder contract onto. Maybe he will find someone to unload the Verlander contract onto as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It did help them that they were able to find someone to unload the Fielder contract onto. Maybe he will find someone to unload the Verlander contract onto as well.

I have a feeling that will be a much tougher sell.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so Magadan is waiting to hear from the Yankees and A's per a tweet I read from Susan Slusser in a post on LSB.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that will be a much tougher sell.

I think so too. His velocity is down and his HR totals up. Like I said, if we had a pitcher with those numbers we would be good with it. Just not at that price.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so Magadan is waiting to hear from the Yankees and A's per a tweet I read from Susan Slusser in a post on LSB.

I knew about the Yankees but did not know about the A's as well. It is probably best that Bannister picks the person he wants in all coaching areas except Maddux as I am sure he is glad to keep him on board. I still would not mind MY as the hitting coach.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just something to throw out there:

Could the Rangers be a trade partner with the Red Sox?

Cespedes had a slash line of .296/.423/.719 in 213 plate appearances for the Red Sox last season and apparently is balking at moving to right field and wants to play left.

The Rangers, if a deal can be worked out, can accommodate Cespedes and move him to left field. Shin Soo-Choo, the Rangers left fielder in 2014, is a natural right fielder. Choo has 600 career games there and played right 12 times last season.

It seems Cespedes just wasn't happy in pressured-filled Boston. He had a 24-game stretch without a home run and just two RBIs in a 10-game period in September. He did finish the season with a hit in seven of the last eight games, with four multi-hit contests during that stretch.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I not sure why I'm feeling this way, but what I'm suspecting is the team - as a whole - kind of tuned out the coaching staff, collectively.

Could be they had seen and heard enough to know it was a time for change across the board.

Anyone else having that feeling?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cespedes had a slash line of .296/.423/.719 in 213 plate appearances for the Red Sox last season and apparently is balking at moving to right field and wants to play left.

The Rangers, if a deal can be worked out, can accommodate Cespedes and move him to left field. Shin Soo-Choo, the Rangers left fielder in 2014, is a natural right fielder. Choo has 600 career games there and played right 12 times last season.

It seems Cespedes just wasn't happy in pressured-filled Boston. He had a 24-game stretch without a home run and just two RBIs in a 10-game period in September. He did finish the season with a hit in seven of the last eight games, with four multi-hit contests during that stretch.

You kind of forgot to say what you think they might want or what you'd be willing to give up to get him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You kind of forgot to say what you think they might want or what you'd be willing to give up to get him.

I was just posting what the Boston Globe had to say. One problem is he is in the final year of his deal which is 10.2 mill so that could be an issue in just having him 1 year. But the guy is definitely an athlete. Speed, arm, and power.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I not sure why I'm feeling this way, but what I'm suspecting is the team - as a whole - kind of tuned out the coaching staff, collectively.

Could be they had seen and heard enough to know it was a time for change across the board.

Anyone else having that feeling?

I do think the team definitely tuned RW out as you could see the difference when Bogar took over. This is a good time to be making a change and Bannister might as well put his stamp on it.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Instead of a younger Tomas? Still holding a little hope we sign him but budget probably won't allow it. Cespadas may be cheaper.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Madagan has been told he's not getting NYY hitting coach job per tweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a crock-of-shit that is!

Nobody came back from something like this ever, and he gets zero respect. :bullshit:

I agree. He should have been at least in the top 2. Come on, Derek Jeter was in the top 5! What a bunch of nonsense.