• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2015 Texas Rangers Position Breakdown: Outfield - ESPN Dallas

"Outlook: Martin (career-high 194 total bases) improved as a center fielder and leadoff hitter (.298/.354/.391) yet there are still concerns about him. Ron Washington didn't trust Martin against left-handed pitching or as a leadoff man, Tim Bogar did. Jeff Banister, the man in charge, hasn't said where he'll place Martin. Choo (123 games) played through a bone spur and then an ankle injury the majority of the season. He was the leadoff man until his injuries forced him to the 60-day disabled list. Choo said he's willing to move out of the leadoff spot or even to right field, a position he's more custom to playing. Finding an everyday left fielder, should Choo move to right, might be on the roster or free agency. If the Rangers sign a corner outfielder, Adduci, Robertson and Smolinski will compete for the fourth outfielder spot. Ryan Rua is another possibility but looked shaky in the outfield at times last season. Robertson is a contact hitter and might have the lead as the No. 4 outfielder but Smolinski, after recovering from his foot injury hit the ball pretty well late in the season. Choice won a job in spring training but was demoted. Can Choice respond and make a push to earn a roster spot? Maybe. Engle Beltre has battled through leg problems and his status is unknown at this stage of the offseason. He was rehabbing then had to stop when more leg issues developed. He's a talented player who hit .292 in 92 games for Triple-A Round Rock in 2013 and the club still has hopes for him."

Some have said they want Rua to earn a spot in ST, but remember Choice won a spot last year in ST? Sometimes you have to go by what you see in ST, but with Rua I think we got a much better gauge of what he can do in the 2014 regular season than we ever will in ST 2015.

I do think it is silly that Watkins said Rua looked shaky in the OF. He had never really played in the OF in professional baseball before some limited time there this year so of course he was going to look shaky.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Outlook: Martin (career-high 194 total bases) improved as a center fielder and leadoff hitter (.298/.354/.391) yet there are still concerns about him. Ron Washington didn't trust Martin against left-handed pitching or as a leadoff man, Tim Bogar did. Jeff Banister, the man in charge, hasn't said where he'll place Martin. Choo (123 games) played through a bone spur and then an ankle injury the majority of the season. He was the leadoff man until his injuries forced him to the 60-day disabled list. Choo said he's willing to move out of the leadoff spot or even to right field, a position he's more custom to playing. Finding an everyday left fielder, should Choo move to right, might be on the roster or free agency. If the Rangers sign a corner outfielder, Adduci, Robertson and Smolinski will compete for the fourth outfielder spot. Ryan Rua is another possibility but looked shaky in the outfield at times last season. Robertson is a contact hitter and might have the lead as the No. 4 outfielder but Smolinski, after recovering from his foot injury hit the ball pretty well late in the season. Choice won a job in spring training but was demoted. Can Choice respond and make a push to earn a roster spot? Maybe. Engle Beltre has battled through leg problems and his status is unknown at this stage of the offseason. He was rehabbing then had to stop when more leg issues developed. He's a talented player who hit .292 in 92 games for Triple-A Round Rock in 2013 and the club still has hopes for him."

Some have said they want Rua to earn a spot in ST, but remember Choice won a spot last year in ST? Sometimes you have to go by what you see in ST, but with Rua I think we got a much better gauge of what he can do in the 2014 regular season than we ever will in ST 2015.

I do think it is silly that Watkins said Rua looked shaky in the OF. He had never really played in the OF in professional baseball before some limited time there this year so of course he was going to look shaky.

I thought once Rua played some out there he was fine. Besides Choice was not that great out there either. I also would like to see Choo hit leadoff if healthy as he has done very well there in the past in regards to OBP.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know it is a shame that the one media member who has the guts to not be a Rangers homer has to be so wrong about his stance. It is also a shame that Galloway was one of the biggest Ron Washington apologists in the media. It is ironic tha the would criticize the media for the way they cover JD when Wash could do no wrong in Galloway's eyes.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best of luck to Tim. Zero hard feelings toward him. He did what was asked of him and he was in a tough spot. Bannister swooped in and won the job fair and square and it left Tim in an awkward position. Best wishes going forward for Mr. Bogar.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know it is a shame that the one media member who has the guts to not be a Rangers homer has to be so wrong about his stance. It is also a shame that Galloway was one of the biggest Ron Washington apologists in the media. It is ironic tha the would criticize the media for the way they cover JD when Wash could do no wrong in Galloway's eyes.

Randy is purposely forgetting that JD loved Wash nearly unconditionally and supported him fully. Wash was going to get an extension more than likely. JD didn't want him to leave anymore than Wash wanted to leave. So for Randy to act like he was brought in to be the Yes Man to a then 31 year old GM is revisionist history at best.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought Rua looked pretty good in the OF. I don't remember him looking shaky.
I also thought he did very well at 1B.

I miss Durrett.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Rua looked pretty good in the OF. I don't remember him looking shaky.
I also thought he did very well at 1B.

I miss Durrett.
He did look bad one time when he first played LF but never after that. Also liked him at first. I think he can contribute nicely.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've heard this from other places too. While I think JD was right in wanting more of a "partner" to the organization I really don't think JD will expect him to be a complete yes man type of manager.

I do think there were times JD and clan were disappointed in how Wash managed the team from lineups, utilizing back end players etc but whatever Galloway is thinking is completely ridiculous.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly and pretty much totally disagree with the overall premise that JD wants to manage from upstairs, and b/c JD hired Bannister, this makes him a yes man.

When I moved to the DFW area in 1980 I thought Randy was one of the best writers and radio personalities in town. But my gosh he's become such a crotchy old fart now.

Note to myself, don't read anymore articles from Mr G.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly and pretty much totally disagree with the overall premise that JD wants to manage from upstairs, and b/c JD hired Bannister, this makes him a yes man.

When I moved to the DFW area in 1980 I thought Randy was one of the best writers and radio personalities in town. But my gosh he's become such a crotchy old fart now.

I didn't even read it. His opinion has always irritated me.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't want to defend him, but I truly believe he started that way and was a great writer/radio guy for a long time. Then I think one day he realized he could be more popular and make more money being the villain and contrarian. Which type of beat writes and radio guys have better ratings? It's the loud mouth guys with negative opinions. That type of sports journalism sells. And I think at some point Randy lost himself and became his character if that makes sense.

I don't know if he truly believes the stuff he writes anymore. I for one hope he doesn't and is just writing it in a last ditch effort to stay relevant, but I wonder if he truly did just turn into grandpa urine...

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did look bad one time when he first played LF but never after that. Also liked him at first. I think he can contribute nicely.

He looked better at first then LF IMO.

But since he'd never played the OF before, who didn't think he was going to have an adjustment period?

Once he got some quality time in left, it looked like he got better and better at it. And his bat looked good the more ABs he got too.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have said before that I went to school with him. That's about the best I can say about him.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to defend him, but I truly believe he started that way and was a great writer/radio guy for a long time. Then I think one day he realized he could be more popular and make more money being the villain and contrarian. Which type of beat writes and radio guys have better ratings? It's the loud mouth guys with negative opinions. That type of sports journalism sells. And I think at some point Randy lost himself and became his character if that makes sense.

I don't know if he truly believes the stuff he writes anymore. I for one hope he doesn't and is just writing it in a last ditch effort to stay relevant, but I wonder if he truly did just turn into grandpa urine...

Kind of like that dipshit Stephen A. Smith.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was overseas for the most part from 2005-2011 and was surprised how much his demeanor had changed once I got back.