• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the team has a lot of questions to answer, but for the last few years the offense has sucked and Moreland was given a starting role in the offense. He seemed to get the role because he's cheap ( not based on merit or actually earning it). The team used to have an exciting offense that made the Rest of MLB jealous. Am I a bad fan for wanting that? I personally think we have seen too much turn over in the lineup and we have been keeping the wrong guys ( Moreland, Soto " beginning of last year") in favor of letting the wrong guys go ( Napoli and Cruz in particular). The offense hasn't looked good since we were playing in St. Louis during the month of October. Moreland has been a constant the last few years since that time, he has never produced, carried his weight, satisfied the team's inflated expectations of him, and he's always been hurt. The only consistent thing he has done the last 3 years is send JD scrambling for a backup plan to cover his everyday spot in the lineup. I'm baffled that a Baseball executive of JDs caliber has allowed this scenario to play out year, after year, after year. If Mitch Moreland is on the team next year and has an everyday role, I will be baffled and start to rethink my high opinion of JD.

Napoli was not let go in favor of Soto, Napoli would've never caught for us, the mistake was in not trusting him to play 1b on a regular basis, which would've also prevented us from trading for fielder the next season

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His stats justify that. How many back up 1B in the league put up better numbers? He is also a good defensive 1B to put in late in the game. Do you want Prince playing 1B in the 9th in the postseason when we are up by 1 run? Not only that, but he can play RF when you need him to in a pinch.

with the team we have right now, i think it is a bit premature to be talking about post-season with the holes we have in our SP and offense

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Napoli was not let go in favor of Soto, Napoli would've never caught for us, the mistake was in not trusting him to play 1b on a regular basis, which would've also prevented us from trading for fielder the next season

Which I still say wasn't a bad move.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he played well in a short time period but is he ready for a full season at this level?

Only one way to find out. See how he does in ST. Give him a chance to earn the spot.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article by Sherrington on DMN talking like Bannister could be the next manager. I hope that is not a mistake because I liked the change in energy that took place when Bogar stepped into the position. I copied the last three paragraphs down below and to be honest do not sell me on this guy automatically being another Hurdle.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, Hurdle is under contract through at least 2017. Which is why Banister might be the next best thing, and not just because he’s sitting next to him.
Nothing against Bogar, a thoughtful type who did a fine job as interim, or Cash, a relative kid at 36 who apparently writes a nice treatise, but Banister has presence. He’s 6-2 and looks every inch of it, particularly when giving what one beat guy called the native Texan’s “cowboy stare.” He also comes with a pretty good back-story. He beat cancer in high school, telling his father he’d rather die than give up his leg and baseball. He lived to play in the big leagues, all right. One official at bat. He also came back from a collision at the plate that left him paralyzed for 10 days. These are the kinds of stories that go over pretty big in a clubhouse.
Hurdle’s convinced that Banister, a lifer in the Pirate organization, will make a terrific manager. Here’s betting Daniels agrees. If you can’t have the guy you want, you could do worse than his shadow.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article by Sherrington on DMN talking like Bannister could be the next manager. I hope that is not a mistake because I liked the change in energy that took place when Bogar stepped into the position. I copied the last three paragraphs down below and to be honest do not sell me on this guy automatically being another Hurdle.

Unfortunately for the Rangers, Hurdle is under contract through at least 2017. Which is why Banister might be the next best thing, and not just because he’s sitting next to him.
Nothing against Bogar, a thoughtful type who did a fine job as interim, or Cash, a relative kid at 36 who apparently writes a nice treatise, but Banister has presence. He’s 6-2 and looks every inch of it, particularly when giving what one beat guy called the native Texan’s “cowboy stare.” He also comes with a pretty good back-story. He beat cancer in high school, telling his father he’d rather die than give up his leg and baseball. He lived to play in the big leagues, all right. One official at bat. He also came back from a collision at the plate that left him paralyzed for 10 days. These are the kinds of stories that go over pretty big in a clubhouse.
Hurdle’s convinced that Banister, a lifer in the Pirate organization, will make a terrific manager. Here’s betting Daniels agrees. If you can’t have the guy you want, you could do worse than his shadow.

Pretty interesting article. And for some reason I had been getting the feeling myself that Bannister might just be in the lead now.

We should know something pretty quick now regardless and end the suspense.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, he would be a good backup to have. His career stats show that. The anti-Moreland sentiment by some on this board seems very harsh. The guy didn't turn out to be a dependable starter. He has been injured the last couple of seasons. That doesn't mean he is to be reviled. If he goes to another club and does well the same folks will say that he needed a change of scenery simply because they were so impatient that they couldn't stand to look at him in a Ranger uniform any longer.

It is funny. I have spent the last 12 months telling someone on another board that Mitch shouldn't be depended on to start any longer and then on this board I have to defend Mitch. It seems most are either on one extreme or another.

I do think Mitch will be somewhere else next year simply as a cost cutting move.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the team we have right now, i think it is a bit premature to be talking about post-season with the holes we have in our SP and offense

Now that is a switch. You are cautioning me not to get my hopes up for post season. HaHa.

I don't have any hopes whatsoever of going to the postseason in 2015 and not much for 2016. I do hope to get back there eventually. Everything I say on here is not with just 2015 in mind. That would be extremely shortsighted of me. I plan on being a fan for the longterm so I am interested in much more than 2015. That is why I have been in favor of a rebuilding plan more than most others.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately, if it is a mistake it might take 10 years to correct it. JD has shown the propensity to stick with a manager no matter how poor of a job he does at managing. Let's hope it isn't a mistake.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Banister it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap that's a shocker. I didn't really think there was much of a chance Bogar wouldn't get this job especially after the job he did filling in. Wow.