• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash certainly had his flaws but things did turn out pretty well during his tenure.

Things did turn out well during his tenure, but that had a lot more to do with guys named Hamilton, Cruz, Kinsler, Napoli, Beltre, Andrus, Harrison, Wilson, Lewis, Holland, Feliz, and others than it did the one named Washington. JD brought in a ton of talent to make things work out well, but the one manager he brought in cost them the 2011 WS and a few other games along the way. Wash was along for the ride and they won in spite of him. Wash did do some things wel, but many others he bungled and overall was a poor manager.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money they don't spend on Rios will be offset by raises for Andrus and Holland.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things did turn out well during his tenure, but that had a lot more to do with guys named Hamilton, Cruz, Kinsler, Napoli, Beltre, Andrus, Harrison, Wilson, Lewis, Holland, Feliz, and others than it did the one named Washington. JD brought in a ton of talent to make things work out well, but the one manager he brought in cost them the 2011 WS and a few other games along the way. Wash was along for the ride and they won in spite of him. Wash did do some things wel, but many others he bungled and overall was a poor manager.

It's inevitable that a team needs to have talent to have success. When you go to the playoffs and WS then talent will be there. I've always said you can't blame a manager/coach for a team's failures and completely dismiss him if a team has success. That's not the way it works. To say Wash was only there for the ride is quite a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Was Wash the reason they lost in 2011? He certainly deserves some blame as do many others...but the thing is that we'll never really know. As I said before he certainly had his shortcomings in many of our opinions but his tenure here was certainly successful overall.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's inevitable that a team needs to have talent to have success. When you go to the playoffs and WS then talent will be there. I've always said you can't blame a manager/coach for a team's failures and completely dismiss him if a team has success. That's not the way it works. To say Wash was only there for the ride is quite a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Was Wash the reason they lost in 2011? He certainly deserves some blame as do many others...but the thing is that we'll never really know. As I said before he certainly had his shortcomings in many of our opinions but his tenure here was certainly successful overall.

What if the manager is a lot more responsible for some of the failures than the successes? Can't you just blame him and credit him when due? He is too be blamed and credited for individual things he did and not for team accomplishments. I just think we could have done a lot better than Ron Washington as manager.

As I have said before great managers sometimes manage bad teams because of the talent level of the team. Also, bad managers manage very good team because of the talent level. You have to look deeper than overall record I think.

If I can't know Wash was very responsible for us losing the WS in 2011 then no one can know that he ever did anything to help the team either. I can certainly look at the decision to not substitute Chavez for Cruz for defensive purposes as a huge mistake that directly cost us a WS Championship. I don't think that much is any stretch. I can also think it is a better than 50% chance that starting Holland for a second game instead of Harrison would have made a difference.

Wash consistently made poor pitching decisions, and poor lineup decisions throughout his career here. He consistently favored veterans over younger players even when the younger players were better. It began with Jones over Murphy in the early days and continued by overusing MY in the later days.

I think he was definitely "along for the ride" to the WS.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money they don't spend on Rios will be offset by raises for Andrus and Holland.

so! we still need to re-sign Lewis and trade for or sign another pitcher and we need a DH/1st baseman (not named Moreland) which is going to drive up payroll

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if the manager is a lot more responsible for some of the failures than the successes? Can't you just blame him and credit him when due? He is too be blamed and credited for individual things he did and not for team accomplishments. I just think we could have done a lot better than Ron Washington as manager.

As I have said before great managers sometimes manage bad teams because of the talent level of the team. Also, bad managers manage very good team because of the talent level. You have to look deeper than overall record I think.

If I can't know Wash was very responsible for us losing the WS in 2011 then no one can know that he ever did anything to help the team either. I can certainly look at the decision to not substitute Chavez for Cruz for defensive purposes as a huge mistake that directly cost us a WS Championship. I don't think that much is any stretch. I can also think it is a better than 50% chance that starting Holland for a second game instead of Harrison would have made a difference.

Wash consistently made poor pitching decisions, and poor lineup decisions throughout his career here. He consistently favored veterans over younger players even when the younger players were better. It began with Jones over Murphy in the early days and continued by overusing MY in the later days.

and yet we still won

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so! we still need to re-sign Lewis and trade for or sign another pitcher and we need a DH/1st baseman (not named Moreland) which is going to drive up payroll

I'm glad people are noticing the weak link in the offense. JD has given him too many chances already, so I'm worried until I officially see Moreland gone.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely he deserves criticism and credit. Why not include him in team accomplishments? He was a part of the team so when the team achieved something he should certainly be included in that credit.

I didn't agree with all the lineup decisions he made but the bottom line was about winning and for the most part that is what they did. I would have liked to see Cruz out of there in the 9th but is that the one thing that cost the championship for sure without a doubt? Possibly and I think the chances were greater. I probably would have preferred Holland starting Game 7 but after what happened the night before Texas wasn't winning that game.

As for MY I agree Wash over played him in 2012 and played the crap out of Murphy in 2013 but in 2012 people acted like Olt and Profar were the savior and I disagree that would have saved that 2012 collapse. In 2013 I agree that he over played and over exposed a career 4th OF'er all season long and dragged that out.

On the bright side I do think it was time for a change and while I respect and value what Wash did during his time, I believe a new manager will rejuvenate the team and be much better organization wise going fwd. It's unfortunate it had to end the way it did with the scandal and all but I certainly was welcoming the change.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad people are noticing the weak link in the offense. JD has given him too many chances already, so I'm worried until I officially see Moreland gone.

I don't know why but I think I'd like to give The Bitch one more chance to redeem himself and have a turnaround year. I freaking loved him when he arrived in 2010 and it just all went away. I hope that comes back for him and he's still in a Ranger uniform if it does.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why but I think I'd like to give The Bitch one more chance to redeem himself and have a turnaround year. I freaking loved him when he arrived in 2010 and it just all went away. I hope that comes back for him and he's still in a Ranger uniform if it does.

I stuck with MM longer than almost anyone. But last year finally ruined me on him, and frankly I don't care what he does, as long as he doesn't do it in a Ranger uniform.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stuck with MM longer than almost anyone. But last year finally ruined me on him, and frankly I don't care what he does, as long as he doesn't do it in a Ranger uniform.

I still believe MM will be a good major leaguer. I just don't think it will be in TX. I stuck with him too, but if he's never on the field it's hard to feel anything for him.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely he deserves criticism and credit. Why not include him in team accomplishments? He was a part of the team so when the team achieved something he should certainly be included in that credit.

I didn't agree with all the lineup decisions he made but the bottom line was about winning and for the most part that is what they did. I would have liked to see Cruz out of there in the 9th but is that the one thing that cost the championship for sure without a doubt? Possibly and I think the chances were greater. I probably would have preferred Holland starting Game 7 but after what happened the night before Texas wasn't winning that game.

As for MY I agree Wash over played him in 2012 and played the crap out of Murphy in 2013 but in 2012 people acted like Olt and Profar were the savior and I disagree that would have saved that 2012 collapse. In 2013 I agree that he over played and over exposed a career 4th OF'er all season long and dragged that out.

On the bright side I do think it was time for a change and while I respect and value what Wash did during his time, I believe a new manager will rejuvenate the team and be much better organization wise going fwd. It's unfortunate it had to end the way it did with the scandal and all but I certainly was welcoming the change.

I totally agree with your sentiment regarding "time for a change" but hope you understand that there are some on here who will never ever give RW once ounce of credit; no matter what.

I'm glad he's gone and think he should have been fired during the off season if he hadn't left on whatever terms he left under.

Anxious to see who our next man is, and it appears it's a two man race. Honestly, I'll be OK with whichever decision is made. I want to see how the staffs will be constituted and ready for it.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe MM will be a good major leaguer. I just don't think it will be in TX. I stuck with him too, but if he's never on the field it's hard to feel anything for him.

I stuck with Mitch in good, but mostly bad times.

Between him not producing and just as importantly, never being around to count on just wore me out. Lord, the poor guy is on the DL as much as he's active.

Wish him well, but wish him gone too.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he just doesn't seem to have the ability to keep it going or to work thru problems. once he hits a slump that's it for him.

time to move on

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need two COF that can hit. A short stop to play up to his contract, two starting pitchers, Fielder to make a come back. Profar to develop or not and a number of injuries to heal and you're still worried about MM. Go fish!

P.S. Maddux to stay and a decent hitting coach

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need two COF that can hit. A short stop to play up to his contract, two starting pitchers, Fielder to make a come back. Profar to develop or not and a number of injuries to heal and you're still worried about MM. Go fish!

Boy.....ain't you being Mr "Pie-in-the-Sky" today? :pound:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know the team has a lot of questions to answer, but for the last few years the offense has sucked and Moreland was given a starting role in the offense. He seemed to get the role because he's cheap ( not based on merit or actually earning it). The team used to have an exciting offense that made the Rest of MLB jealous. Am I a bad fan for wanting that? I personally think we have seen too much turn over in the lineup and we have been keeping the wrong guys ( Moreland, Soto " beginning of last year") in favor of letting the wrong guys go ( Napoli and Cruz in particular). The offense hasn't looked good since we were playing in St. Louis during the month of October. Moreland has been a constant the last few years since that time, he has never produced, carried his weight, satisfied the team's inflated expectations of him, and he's always been hurt. The only consistent thing he has done the last 3 years is send JD scrambling for a backup plan to cover his everyday spot in the lineup. I'm baffled that a Baseball executive of JDs caliber has allowed this scenario to play out year, after year, after year. If Mitch Moreland is on the team next year and has an everyday role, I will be baffled and start to rethink my high opinion of JD.