• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wondering something about Darvish's health from last season. Wasn't it said by JD, that had there been anything at stake when Yu went on the DL, he could have probably continued to pitch?

If that were true, then why has his recovery been approached with such caution?

He is just now beginning to throw off flat ground. Sure seems like a overly cautious approach to something which in 2014 was considered a minor problem doesn't it?

From everything I've read, there doesn't seem to be a cautious approach.

"Last season Darvish had to deal with a nerve issue in his lower back during the offseason, and that curtailed his usual rigorous training program. He ended up starting the season on the disabled list with neck stiffness. This offseason, Darvish has gone back to his normal program and is noticing a difference."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I've read, there doesn't seem to be a cautious approach.

"Last season Darvish had to deal with a nerve issue in his lower back during the offseason, and that curtailed his usual rigorous training program. He ended up starting the season on the disabled list with neck stiffness. This offseason, Darvish has gone back to his normal program and is noticing a difference."

I honestly didn't know what Yu's "normal routine" would mean. But I do know most other MLB pitchers are already throwing off the hill in many cases.

If this is Yu's normal, then good for us, and me/we sure hope he has a strong spring.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly didn't know what Yu's "normal routine" would mean. But I do know most other MLB pitchers are already throwing off the hill in many cases.

If this is Yu's normal, then good for us, and me/we sure hope he has a strong spring.

It's also worthy of note that Yu did not spend this offseason in Japan, but stayed in Texas and has been working out at the Ballpark.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also worthy of note that Yu did not spend this offseason in Japan, but stayed in Texas and has been working out at the Ballpark.

Very much so.

This means - to me anyway - he's really got a lot of faith in the medical staff, as well as Mike Maddux/Andy Hawkins too.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

think that shows how he felt he let the team down and he owed it to the team to get it right

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think that shows how he felt he let the team down and he owed it to the team to get it right

He didn't let the team down any more than Holland, Choo, Prince, Moreland, Harrison, Perez, or Profar did. None of them let the team down.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about letting the team down, but I certainly think wanting to have a better year in 2015 had something to do with it.

And just to play devil's advocate, I wonder if a new manager played any role in it as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't let the team down any more than Holland, Choo, Prince, Moreland, Harrison, Perez, or Profar did. None of them let the team down.
You're so right Bennie. Josh H. let the team down but these guys didn't. All were victims of serious medical concerns. I'm convinced all of them are stand up guys.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about letting the team down, but I certainly think wanting to have a better year in 2015 had something to do with it.

And just to play devil's advocate, I wonder if a new manager played any role in it as well.[/QUOTE]

You ain't stirring the pot with that one sir.

You know he was never on the same page with Washington. RW was way too gut driven/old school for Yu. Me too actually.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

being Japanese he would feel that he let the team down. i agree with you but his cultural upbringing would make him feel that way

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
being Japanese he would feel that he let the team down. i agree with you but his cultural upbringing would make him feel that way

Oh? And how much experience do you have with Japanese culture?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone refresh my memory. Didn't we hear that when Koji Uehara wouldn't sign with us again that it was because he didn't like Yu Darvish? I ask that because I came across an article this morning about Darvish at the AS game last July. The article shows a photo of Koji all smiles taking a picture of his son with Yu.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone refresh my memory. Didn't we hear that when Koji Uehara wouldn't sign with us again that it was because he didn't like Yu Darvish? I ask that because I came across an article this morning about Darvish at the AS game last July. The article shows a photo of Koji all smiles taking a picture of his son with Yu.

First I've ever heard of it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg's report this morning was about things he would like to see happen this year. The main thing he wanted was for the Rangers to trade for Cliff Lee. I just can't see trading for a pitcher who was injured a lot of last year who will be turning 37 before the 2015 season is over and who makes a ton of money.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamey Newberg's report this morning was about things he would like to see happen this year. The main thing he wanted was for the Rangers to trade for Cliff Lee. I just can't see trading for a pitcher who was injured a lot of last year who will be turning 37 before the 2015 season is over and who makes a ton of money.

Makes no sense to me, unless it was for 1 lousy prospect and PHI picks up 90% of his salary.

I was totally on-board with Lee in 2010, but it became pretty clear pretty quick that he's a feast-or-famine type pitcher. When he's on, he's on, but if it's an off-day... yikes, look out. And like Saddles mentioned, he's not the picture of health right now.

And it still burns me that he tanked in game 1 of the '10 WS.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe that was Tanaka who would prefer not to be on the same team as Darvish but not positive.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that was Tanaka who would prefer not to be on the same team as Darvish but not positive.

This was before Tanaka that I am remembering. I think it was mainly from fans commenting on the ESPN boards thinking they had to give JD an excuse for not signing Koji when he became free.